“Nothing fancy but it's a...” 3 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Cafe, Delicatessen, Diner
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Seating
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Nothing fancy but it's a...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2008

Nothing fancy but it's a Phinney institution. The cinnamon rolls are great, but a bit sugary with the icing. The recent ice cream shop addition is great for summer evenings.

Seattle
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worst Food Service in Seattle”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

To whom it may concern:

Around 10:45am this morning my girlfriend and I decided to get a cup of coffee and some breakfast at your restaurant. We have both heard really good things about your service and food, but to our dismay it turned out to be our worst restaurant experience in Seattle.
When we arrived, we we’re immediately accommodated by your staff and were quickly seated. We knew how busy you were, so it was a good start. We we’re both very patient and excited to try your food. We were immediately seated alongside another couple at the exact same time. After being seated for about 5 minutes a waitress came by and took the order of the couple next to us. Another 10 minutes went by and we were eventually served some water; the waiter, who must have been 16 years old, was rude and impolite, spilled water all over the table and then hurried away. This is when our experience began going downhill, really fast. Another 5 minutes went by and finally our waitress came by and took our order. I ordered a cup of coffee and my girlfriend ordered a smoothie (along with the rest of our meal). Another 5 minutes went by and the couple that came in with us were served their meal. This couple was getting close to finishing their meal when two other parties that had been seated about 15-20 minutes after us we’re being served their meals. At this point we were getting very frustrated and both of our patience was running short. It was 30 minutes after we ordered and we still had not been served beverages. My girlfriend went up to ask if perhaps our order had been lost. She talked to one of the boys who was wearing blue shorts and blond hair. He was rude to her, ignored her and after she asked a couple of times he said he was on top of it. She came back and we watched him serve 3 other tables that had arrived a half hour after us, meanwhile, never bringing us anything. Finally I found the original waitress that took our order and politely asked her what was going on. She acted as though she had completely forgotten. Another 5 minutes went by and finally my coffee was brought to me (she also said my girlfriend’s smoothie was on the way). The coffee was cold, nor did our table have sugar! We sat for another 5 minutes and they still did not bring my girlfriend’s smoothie to her.
The couple that was sitting right next to us and ordered the exact same time as we did, were finished with their meal and preparing to leave. Multiple times I was looking around trying to see if I could catch an employee’s attention, but the boy with blue shorts was walking around talking and texting on his cell phone. I watched him text message on his phone for about 20 minutes while he walked around oblivious to anyone around him and he was constantly playing with himself in front of people. The other bus boy who had the brown tee shirt on and the fro, was extremely rude. I watched two of your employee’s making out in the hallway by the kitchen - nobody seemed to care about the customer experience.
I am about to say a few more things that you might not like to hear. Somebody finally, after almost an hour brought, me some toast and my girlfriend’s cinnamon roll, which was cold and the butter on it never even melted. She never received her smoothie! I drank a glass of water and nobody ever came by to check on us. The worst part was people who came in after us were being taken care of and served. Unbelievable!
Finally we had enough. We were so disgusted with your restaurant’s service that we decided to leave. As we we’re getting up to leave the guy with the brown shirt and fro (yes, the rude one) started to back talk at us. He was extremely rude, unprofessional and he acted as though he was 9 years old. We let our waitress know we we’re leaving, that the service was horrendous and that she needs to let her co-workers know that they should never treat customers the way they treated us.
I am a war veteran and have traveled all around the world to many countries, including third world countries. Even in war torn countries, I have never received such horrible service. My girlfriend and I are both connoisseur’s of food and love to support local businesses, however we will not be returning to your business. I feel that people should hear about our terrible experience in your restaurant, so we will be posting our comments and opinions on several websites, we will advise all of our friends, family and acquaintances not to support your business and we will probably publish something in the newspapers. We understand that you run a popular, and busy restaurant, but we have been to many restaurants just as busy, if not busy than yours, and have NEVER been treated so appallingly. This experience was by far the worst service we have ever received in Seattle!

1 Thank simm6054
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great grits, and other yummy big, greasy breakfasts.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

Great grits, and other yummy big, greasy breakfasts.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Really bad. Haven't been...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2007

Really bad. Haven't been in years.

Ballard
“Do not eat here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

I have had breakfast twice at Mae's and never again! First time it was ok food but was served cold and undercooked, since it took over an hour for eggs benedicts’ to arrive I didn’t say anything and just had the meal paid and went on my way. The second time the food showed up an hour and a half later after being ordered under cooked and my chicken fired steak did not have any batter??? WTF, Mae was our waitress and said the meal always comes that way. I said I would pass after one bite and just had the coffee.

1)Way to long to wait after ordering food 1-2 hours with only a couple of people in the restaurant
2)Food always comes cold and under cooked, if cooked at all
3)Both wait staff have been very rude

This is the first review I have written about anything but thought I should want anybody about this place. I could go on about many other issues I have with this place…but thought I could end on this note. While waiting to pay for my last meal (coffee) I saw the cook drop ….yes drop something on the ground (looked like sausage or bacon) pick it up and put it back on the plate.

I WILL NEVER EAT HERE AGAIN! It really is too bad because I wanted to like this place.