“Yanni's: The Heart of Phinney-Wood”
Review of Yanni's Cafe

Yanni's Cafe
Ranked #808 of 4,094 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Families with children
Seattle, Washington
“Yanni's: The Heart of Phinney-Wood”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been a devoted Yanni's patron for nearly 30 years. In all this time, every meal has been consistently delicious. Owners Peter and Karen welcome guests to their family restaurant with true Greek hospitality, fresh hand-crafted cuisine, and a friendly, comfy atmosphere.

If you know the Phinney-Greenwood communities, you'll appreciate the fact that, aside from one cozy Starbucks, there are virtually no chain stores here. Businesses are independent, and even the two franchises are locally owned and operated. Yanni's is, indeed, a family business.

Fresh, real, authentic slow food "made from scratch" takes time to prepare. So, if you're looking for a fast meal, go somewhere else. Plan to make your dinner at Yanni's an evening in itself. From appetizers (try the Keftedes, and if you don't see them on the menu, ask) and generous salads to the best-ever avgolemono soup, you can ease your way into your entree in culinary bliss.

I often go with friends, and we've been known to make a meal of shared appetizers, soups and salads, and traded tastes of shared entrees. And you're likely to need a take-home container for the leftovers.

Be sure to save a wee bit of room for the awe-inspiring baklava ice cream. And if there are any food scientists out there who can tell me how baked filo stays crunchy when blended in ice cream, please do so...though you may need to sample several scoops as part of your research. I keep studying, but the mystery remains.

In summary, Phinney Ridge is a genuine Seattle community, and Yanni's is the best place to enjoy it.

• Visited May 2013

“change for the better???”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

we've been patronizing Yannis for <10yrs and just went back recently to find many new changes. menu has shrunk and most of the real Greek dishes n seafood are gone. food has morphed into some kind of Greek-fusion. Bread, salad, soup used to be part of the meal; now you must buy separately. seems they're trying to push "small plates" (I.e. price gouging). The decor has changes into an anonymous, boring walls n cheap wicker. Gone are the lovely murals n any indication of Greek heritage. Now that Costas has closed and Yannis has changed, it's. time to look for a new Greek spot.:(

• Visited April 2013
Eastsound, Washington, United States
“Yumy!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We moved from Seattle 15 years ago but try to go to Yanni's whenever we return for a visit.
After reading some terrible reviews on other sites we were nervous about returning.
Our fears were unfounded - though the menu is not as extensive as it used to be, the food is still wonderful - the interior had been updated and our server was friendly and informative.
If you haven't been in awhile, give them a try - you won't be disappointed!

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Kathy W
Lynnwood, Washington
“Good atmosphere, friendly people, tasty menu”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I had a restaurant.com offer I wanted to make use of and was meeting up with a girlfriend who lives in North Seattle. Yanni's came up as a hit when I searched for local places. It was pretty easy to locate and each of us found parking; one of us up the street and one across the street. We were warmly welcomed and asked promptly whether we'd like to order something to drink. After getting our wine, the owner took the time to talk to us about the Gordon Ramsey makeover, the process, and that the program featuring their restaurant should air soon. I would imagine they will be even busier then. My friend and I sat for 2+ hours catching up and saw several tables come, eat, go, and others take their place. It was never packed, but there was a steady dinner crowd. Our wine was good, a little pricey at $9.00 per glass, but we enjoyed. We shared the flaming feta appetizer, which was tasty. I might have liked some seasoning in addition to the bandy; not sure how to season when you flambé. We both had chicken entrees, which were generous in portion. Each came on a large platter that included a side Greek salad and veggies. More feta, yum. My friend ate as much as she could and I took my leftover chicken home with me. I would most definitely return again. Loved the blue walls with while trim - reminds me of vacation photos of Greece. The rows of planters on the walls were appealing as we're the candles all around the dining room.

• Visited January 2013
Portland,Oregon
“New menu needs rethinking”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

The new menu was disappointing. Some of the favorites were missing. The portions seemed smaller too .
I love this family owned restaurant and the food for years. I want my mousaka back !!

3 Thank FeltGuy