“My favorite place on Phinney Ridge”
Review of Santa Fe Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican, Spanish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We have eaten here for years as we used to live in the neighborhood. Never had a problem getting a table and service is always pleasant. The seafood is always fresh and the chips and salsa are my son's favorite. The chocolate torte for desert is super dense. Good stuff.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I wanted to like it. The staff was friendly, it appeared many of the people that were arriving were regulars. But the service just was not very good, seemed to take pretty long to get basic things. Kinda odd too, a mexican restaurant that did not give you chips and salsa???? Really? This is america, that is standard. Had to pay for said salsa and chips. Had a burrito of some nature, said spicy on the menu, I like spicy, and it definitely was spicy, but it was just spicy......not flavorful and spicy.....margaritas, ok, but small, really the newer reviews are the most accurate, kinda appeared things have changed in the last few years...

1  Thank Welshdr
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have eaten here for years as we formerly lived in the neighborhood. We moved away about 5 years ago and still lust after several of the menu staples. This past week we had the chance to return to have dinner at the Santa Fe. I read several less than stellar reviews and was concerned. But, the first bites of dinner put all of that to rest. The beverages are just terrific. The hand made margarita is terrific and hits all the right notes. I had the red chili ale and, while not normally a beer drinker, this is the most excellent pairing for the veggie red enchilada plate, which still packed a real flavor punch. And, the bread pudding! not that we really had room for this, but it was a treat to be dining at such a beloved place, with attentive and friendly service again that we splurged. Well worth it. These flavors are simply a delight and not available elsewhere - unless you plan to make trips to New Mexico, the dear old Santa Fe Cafe is simply delicious.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I've eaten here twice in the last month because a friend wanted to go here. Both times the food was heavy, overcooked, contained way too much cheese and was thrown together with no aesthetics whatsoever. I had two different dishes, and both were prepared this way. Even the salad had such a heavy, blue cheese dressing I could not eat it. Finally, I spent a year living in Santa Fe, and this food has no resemblance to food there. Finally, the margaritas were closer to lemonade than a classic margaritas, some may like this but I found it overly sweet (and sour).

Service was quite mediocre, slow and not very attentive.

2  Thank AustinEEE
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I struggled with this. One star or two. I decided to give it two, mostly because it was once so much better and because the owner, who waited tables 25 years ago for the original owners, knows better. Food is ok. Flavors are often good, but every thing is sort of dropped onto the plate like slop in the big house. Service is spotty... good luck with that. I'd probably like it better if I hadn't loved it so much when it was really great.

1  Thank ARNK-UU