“The food is not necessarily why you go...”

FareStart Restaurant
Ranked #233 of 4,219 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Belltown
Cross street: 7th and Virginia
Transit: Routes 17 and 23 have stops at the intersection of 7th, Westlake and Virginia and many additional stops within a 2 block radius. Click on the Metro King County transit trip planner for specific route information.
Description: At FareStart, food is the tool that transforms lives. FareStart is a culinary job training and placement program for homeless and disadvantaged individuals. The FareStart Restaurant is open for lunch Monday-Friday from 11am–2pm, and for Guest Chef Night dinners on Thursdays from 5:30-8 pm. All proceeds from the restaurant go back into the program to support FareStart’s job training and placement programs. Held at the FareStart Restaurant, Guest Chef Night is a weekly highlight for the FareStart community. For FareStart students, it is a unique opportunity to work with Seattle's premier chefs. Every Thursday night, a different local chef works with students to prepare a delicious three-course meal. Guest Chef Night is $29.95 per person.
Reviewed September 7, 2016

This review is not very easy to write. We went to FareStart for dinner. It was a guest chef night that is part of their community service/job training fundraisers for people turning their lives around. It is a fixed 3 course menu prepared by students, overseen by a guest chef, served by volunteers from the community.
It was packed the night we were there. I didn't love what we had (my fault for not checking the pre-posted menu online). The food was very fresh. Service was attentive and fun.
It was a good experience.
I would definitely advise looking into it.

Date of visit: August 2016
Write a reviewReviews (117)

Reviewed September 1, 2016

My wife and I ate at FareStart recently for one of their guest chef evenings. All I can say is WOW!

The food was fantastic and the price is tough to beat. Oh, and the fact that the entire organization is about 'helping people transform their lives through culinary training and job placement programs' makes the meal just that much better. All of the proceeds + tips go to helping the organization do their thing.

We will definitely return.

Date of visit: September 2016
Reviewed July 20, 2016

It's just nice to support others on the right path and get a good meal at the same time. I went by myself and thoroughly enjoyed the beet salad. It was clean and fresh and flavorful AND healthy. I took my husband the next day. I had the salmon tacos and my husband got the steak. We both enjoyed our dishes. My husband, who does NOT like kale, liked the sauteed kale. Nice atmosphere too. I would definitely go back for the food and support the purpose of the restaurant.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed May 31, 2016 via mobile

The food at Fare Start was very good. Loved the tomato basil soup so much that I had a bowl after my cup of soup. The crispy pork sandwich was juicy and crispy and delicious.

The restaurant has a mission as well--they train people who would have difficulty finding jobs. Only in Seattle. What a cool city!

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed May 23, 2016 via mobile

This restaurant helps people develop skills they can use to get and keep a job. It serves healthy, delicious meals. The prices are very reasonable. I enjoyed the soup of the day - a spring pea soup made with coconut milk - and the grilled salmon.

Date of visit: May 2016