“Fresh!”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 1st. Ave.
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had the whole black bass which was the special and it was delicious and cooked to perfection in a savory stew which included chick peas and other vegetables. My dinner companions raved about the beet salad as being one of the best they ever had. I would definitely go here again.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We went there because it was highly rated but was disappointed because the food was not really that good. We order the Pork Pastrami sandwich which was way too salty and the clams tasted awful. It was also pricey. Can give it a miss.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

The location and atmosphere are excellent. Tall, tall ceilings, and huge propped-open (weather permitting) windows make the experience very comfortable and provide a great view of the market. The relaxed, urban-minimalist style is very clean and allows the food to be the main focus in the dining room.

The food presentation is also outstanding; beautifully plated and prepared.

Having said all of that, I almost didn't give Matt's 5 stars because of the service. I'll explain why, but keep in mind that, ultimately, the good outweighed the bad to the extent that I did award the 5.

There was a problem with my meal; the scallops were cold in the middle. I brought this to the server's attention and she apologized and took the plate away. She returned with a message from the chef: scallops "won't be hot in the center", because they would be overcooked. I assured the server that I understood, and explained that my complaint was not that they weren't hot, but that they were *literally* cold---as in, just-off-of-ice cold. That exchange annoyed me. She soon returned with perfectly cooked scallops, but they were clearly the very ones I sent back (one was nearly half gone when I sent them back and when they were returned). I didn't complain about that, but it left a poor impression.

Again, the rest of the food and the entire experience was excellent. And I would go back. The meal was pretty expensive, so it wouldn't be my regular haunt. But I would highly recommend it for a special occasion or a rare trip to Seattle.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Matt's may have wonderful food, but we didn't find out as we were so put off by our treatment when we arrived that we ended up leaving without eating. When we arrived, the host found our reservation (made some time ago), and told us we'd be at table 7 and he'd just go and get it ready. He didn't come back for 5 minutes, then had forgotten our name and asked who we were. We waited another few minutes, then he asked us to step aside while he seated another couple who had arrived after us. When he came to get us, he said we could take one of three tables "in the middle of the room" or one "by the kitchen". We sat down with empty water glasses for another 5 minutes while 2 servers and the host all walked by with water pitchers, never filling our glasses. Our server rushed past us twice and said he'd be right with us, but wasn't, and didn't take a second to pour us some water. I don't mind spending a lot in a great restaurant, but I expect to be welcomed as though we matter. We left and went to another restaurant in the market that was fabulous, with attentive and warm staff, and much less expensive.

4  Thank LindaF155002
410ChrisA, General Manager at Matt's in the Market, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Linda we're so sorry! What you've described is not the type of service we strive to provide and we apologize for our mistakes. We really hope you give us a second shot next time you visit and that we can make it up to you.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This restaurant did not disappoint - the food was amazing. I can still taste the appetizer that had homemade chips and an onion garlic dip. I wish I could make that at home! It was a bit pricey overall, but I really felt like everything was so fresh, and I enjoy creative food. Make a reservation for a window seat.