“Yummy.”

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 1st. Ave.
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I'm somewhat of a foodie. I've eaten at the best restaurants in Washington and in the US...But this is actually one of my favorite restaurants ever.
All of the ingredients are fresh and flavorful and the food is so well thought and intense that it will blow your mind.
This place is great! Please eat here! You'll definitely enjoy it.

1  Thank Akakaty

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I always read the good and bad reviews on here before venturing into a restaurant. There should be an expiration date on some of these. The bad reviews on here were for service, but they were four to five years ago. I went in last night (Dec 27th) and had an exceptional experience.

Of course, it didn't start out so well. I called at 4:30 pm to ask about the bar. The guy that answered told me some info and then said "we don't open 'til 5:30". I milled about outside, came upstairs at 5:27 and was told the bar was full. huh?!? The manager informed me the BAR is open at 5. The restaurant is open at 5:30. I suppose i could be nice and say maybe it was the other guy's first day....but I won't...have a clue, man.

But aside from that hiccup, the rest was great. The manager got me a seat pretty quick at the bar and then the bartender was great. He was extremely knowledgeable about all the items on the menu. They have a great bar menu for happy hour and I had five items off of this menu as well as an item he recommended that was NOT on the menu.

The oysters on the half shell were good, but somewhat small. The deviled eggs, seasonal salad, and the fried geoduck were excellent. The two items I had from the charcuterie choices were interesting but very good too. (No, i had no idea on how to say it or what it meant...it means "meat", I think). Rabbit pate' and chorizo sausage were pretty unique. The pate' needed some bread to go with it and the bartender agreed. It was much better then. the chorizo was exceptional.

The end was some head cheese. It had to be explained to me and I could see how some people wouldn't go for it. But they sear it, and compliment it was a slaw concoction and in-house pickle slices and it was quite good.

And if you read my bio, I am all about lighting, too. It was perfect in here; rows of large windows overlooking the market, high wood ceilings, and, a pleasant surprise, no TV. The effect was perfect lighting. Add to that some good crowd noise, music and excellent food.

Oh....and the bar opens at 5.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I reviewed Matt's a couple of years ago and gave it 5 stars. It's always nice to go back to a place and find that it's just as good as you thought it was before.

The setting is great, perched above the Market as it shuts down for the night, a wintry evening closes in and the ferries drift silently off across the water. The people are great - a friendly, knowledgable waitress who, instead of bluffing on the wine, readily called the sommelier. He has created a lovely wine list of lesser-known (and seemingly very well-priced) wines and enjoys telling about them without being overbearing. To his great credit he is not so stuck in his role that he won't pick up a plate or bring the check. We had a Waters Vineyard Prelude, a viognier/rousanne blend, that went perfectly with our odd mix of main dishes.

That said, this is first of all a place of great food preparation. What struck us both was that in all the dishes we had the ingredients were so distinct and individually flavorful. We started with the special appetizer of the night, which was a raw geoduck ("goo-eee-duk" for the uninitiated) sliced thin with radish, cucumber (and scallion?) and just slightly marinated. Each flavor came through clearly despite the delicacy of the clam itself. We shared the "Farm Egg" salad, which has ham hock, frisee, radicchio, duck egg -- definitely a heavy dish. We both felt it was too sweet and could have used a bit of white vinegar or something of the sort, but that's more a question of choice than a criticism -- again, a beautifully prepared dish.

For entrees we had the seafood stew and the whole fish special of the evening. The stew was, again, a marvel of distinct flavors in a light, well-spiced broth. They must have prepared each of the fish components separately and combined them at the last moment -- no stewing all day and smothering in tomato here. The second entree, the whole fish, was presented sitting upright on the plate and curled around a pile of mussels, mushrooms and fennel in a light, lemony marinade. It was perfectly cooked and seasoned. We asked for extra lemon and salt when the dish came and didn't use either. It was the kind of food you like to talk about later because it was both delicious and interesting.

We had to run for the ferry and so didn't get a chance to try the desserts, for which I am still grieving.

1  Thank Michael M
Reviewed December 12, 2012

Matt's is one of the best restaurants in the Market. It manages to combine hometown warmth and welcome with excellent, locally sourced food, and imaginative entrees. I come here every chance I get. I've never been disappointed, and the view is a nice bonus.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We went to Matt's for a relatively late lunch, around 1:30. It's upstairs in a building across the street from Pikes Market so being tourists we had a bit of a time finding the place but once we found it were happy to take in a nice view of the water an markets below. It was busy but we had to wait only about 10-15 minutes. Looking around it looked like it was popular with the locals. Basic Seattle lunch menu with a twist so we ordered the lamb burger and the tenderloin burger. Both were served medium despite the waitress asking for our preference. Both were tasty nevertheless. The lamb came with a salad. The tenderloin came with a kim chee slaw, in the burger, which gave it a nice punch with every bite. We enjoyed the experience, the food, and the wine. Burgers and wine for 2 totaled $59, including tax, plus tip. Definitely worth repeating and getting a table with a view.

Been to Matt's in the Market? Share your experiences!