“Two Great Places in One”
Review of Ponti Seafood Grill - CLOSED

Ponti Seafood Grill
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Bar, Grill
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
Cross street: Nickerson
Transit: Metro Buses #26, 28: Fremont / N 34th Stop; #17, 31: Nickerson
Reviewed October 10, 2012

The main restaurant features excellent fish and a very nice wine list. It has a wonderful view, tucked away alongside the Ship Canal, so in the summer you see a parade of boats going by. There's also the much less expensive bar area, which has a side room with seating where kids are permitted (ask the staff to take you there if you have kids, since they can't go through the bar). The bar has happy hours with terrific specials in the afternoon and then again late. There's outdoor seating right along.above the water in the summer. (The "Ship Canal" is in effect a man-made river connecting Lake Union to Puget Sound; you almost never see ships, but a stream of pleasure boats, kayaks, rowing shells, and such.)

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Located along Seattle's ship canal, Ponti has nice outdoor dining (watch the boats go past) along with a quiet, pleasant indoor area. I had King salmon and my spouse had roasted chicken. Sides of Risotto. Nice Calif. chard. Unlike another reviewer, the Risotto was outstanding (great flavor, properly cooked). I asked that the salmon be on the rare side, and it was. Just perfect. The chicken had nice crackling skin and juicy inside. Service was good except that the server forgot our app so we sat around too long for our first course. (A couple next to us came long after us but was served before us). We thought that because of this hard to forgive error that we might get a dessert or at least our coffee comped. But no.

The dessert (a cheesecake ) was described as having what sounded like a great topping, but there was only a little on the side. Not worth eating.

The prices were very decent. The wine was more than the food. Not a place for kids. A comfortable place for a lingering dinner and quiet enough for conversation. For the two of us, the table was too small to handle all of our food because of relatively large serving plates.

It had been a year or so since we ate at Ponti, and it seems consistent;. Will go again when we are in the area. (With 1 bottle of wine and shared sides and desert, around $150 for two).

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We went to the happy hour and ate in the bar. During Happy Hour you can eat in the bar, or on the patio. The portions are smaller, for a reasonable price. They do a late afternoon, and then a later evening happy hour, so check out their website for the specifics. I found their regular menu a priced a bit high. That said, the Thai Curry Penne was delicious. It had two good sized scallops, crabmeat, and the best coconut curry flavor. My husband had the fish & chips. He was disappointed that the panko crusted fish was overcooked and dry.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

The food didn't have much flavor, the server was less than experienced and overall I felt it was expensive and not worth the price. I had the Lobster Mushroom Risotto, which didn't have any flavor. Maybe it was because there were barely any mushrooms or lobster in the dish to taste? My mom had the Bouillabaisse, which I tasted and it too was very bland. The taste came from the spicy sauce on the bread you are supposed to dip in the dish. My mom doesn't do spicy, so no flavor for her. The server was either inexperienced or just plain not very good. She brought our main dish as we awkwardly were finishing our salads and pushed the plates in front of us and then never removed the dirty dishes. We ate half our meal before anyone offered to remove the dirty plates. Our server also never asked if we needed anything else and never asked if we'd like coffee with our dessert. Little things that servers should do, she did not. I know I used to wait tables myself.

For three of us to have an appetizer, salads, main course, a glass of wine each and one shared dessert (without coffee) was $170 not including tip. For bland taste and poor service, that's too much money. Also there was seating outside and I asked about sitting there but was told it was full. Some of those seats remained empty the entire time we ate. The staff were super nice but overall I felt the experience was unpolished for the price.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

First time at this restaurant and it was a good experience. Very nice warm Seattle evening yesterday, so we ate outside on their patio. We had a reservation and were seated immediately and our waitress arrived shortly to get our drink requests. We got a half bottle of an Oregon Pinot called "Lands End" and a vodka martini for me - both very good!

My wife ordered halibut and I ordered black cod, both came with fresh green beans, summer squash and a chanterelle mushroom-lobster risotto. Both meals were excellent, although it did take quite awhile to get the food. Our waitress did a decent job overall.

This restaurant has valet parking for $2 (plus any tip) and we took advantage of it due to my temporary left hip disability. It was professional and quick. The place has a nice ambience and decent view of the ship canal boat traffic through some trees. Based on out experience I would recommend the place and would not hesitate to return in the future.