“Consistently delicious breakfast”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I'm sure they do lunch and dinner well, too, but I don't know from experience. For us, the 5 Spot is all about breakfast. We love it. Tasty hash browns, great scrambles, and the kids loved the Mickey pancakes with fruit faces. Easier to get in on a weekday morning, but worth the wait regardless.

There are newer reviews for 5 Spot

Reviewed July 19, 2012

A guy working at our hotel recommended the 5 Spot as one of his two favorite places for breakfast/brunch so we tried it out and really enjoyed it! Arrived at 10 a.m. on a Tuesday. Plenty of seating available. I saw some reviews on yelp that weren't favorable on the friendliness. Our experience was totally different. The manager seated us, visited with us for a bit when he noticed we were from out of town, the waitress could not have been nicer, and the local family sitting at the table next to us offered menu tips and sightseeing ideas. All 3 in our family loved the food. Our daughter said the pork in the pork tacos could not have been better and the french toast I read about lived up to the positive reviews. Can't wait to go back and see what the next month's theme will be (since the theme, decorations, and menu change monthly).

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Stopped in on a Sunday around 1:30pm after spending some time at the locks. They serve breakfast until 3pm on Sunday so we had the choice of lunch or breakfast. The "theme" for the month was Southwest so that had three featured entrees focusing on that cuisine. My wife had the Tinga con Huevos breakfast that was a healthy portion of pork tinga over some roasted potatoes and a side of guac, came with a couple tortillas to scoop it up with too. The dish was excellent, the meat was well seasoned and very tender and the guac was good enough to eat on its own.

I had the red velvet hash and that too was excellent. They use huge chunks of corn beef in the hash and then add in the potatoes and beets. Yep, beets, that's why it is red velvet hash. The beets were pickled and had some cinnamon and/or clove in the brine. It really added some nice complexity to the hash and was a beautiful presentation. We shared and both of us agreed that we would order these again. Great neighborhood too, would definitely go back again.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

As good as I always remember! The fried chicken is the best, great atmosphere and just an all around decent place to eat. You have to go early to get the Honey Stung Friend Chicken, it sells out fast, or call ahead and reserve an order, either way, well worth it!

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Forgot to review 5 Spot the last time we breakfasted here, so I am making sure to do a write-up this time!

We hit 5 Spot about 9am this morning for breakfast. The theme is Key West, so I was expecting to find some lime-y items on the menu. I am not a huge breakfast-food fan, but I have to tell you, they had me at Coconut French Toast (griddled thick cut coconut custard dipped rustic bread, toasted coconut butter & pineapple rum caramel) - yowza! I was sold at coconut custard and coconut butter, but then I read on and saw pineapple...rum...caramel - excuse me, may I have an extra napkin? I'm drooling here. Knowing that I'd need to scale back the rest of my food intake for the day and make sure it was all protein, I gleefully ordered.

Side note here: couple of rough spots. Our server started off in a pretty grumpy mood. She seemed to want to challenge the hubs over some (not spilled) milk: he asked for a fat-free latte and she said they only offered 2% - in a "wanna make something of it?" tone, complete with accompanying body language - I kid you not! I was actually amused, but the hubs was not. So, he went with regular coffee. Coffees arrived, and when he looked for fake sugar on the table, there was none. Ruh-roh, strike two. He was almost desperate enough to stir in some of the marionberry preserves on the table, but our server came back and when he asked for some fake sugar, obliged. Also, when we were ready to order our server crouched down and looked at our friend on the left-hand side of the both. He was still deciding, and so we asked her to start with me, on the right-hand side of the booth. She rolled her eyes, deadpan, and scootched over to my side of the booth and took my order. Last issue: no English muffins. Our friend ordered a breakfast that came with toast, and he asked if they offered English muffins. Nope! In his words, "What breakfast place doesn't offer English muffins?" So, couple of issues there but nothing insurmountable. Honestly, once I'd had my first sip of coffee I found everything a bit amusing.

Back to the food!!! The coconut french toast did NOT disappoint. I SO wanted to lick the plate clean. So what if I'm vibrating slightly in my chair as I type due to the sugar rush...you wanna make something of it? HAHAHA. Hubs ordered two hard-cooked poached eggs and a fruit plate - he was disappointed as the eggs served were both runny. Other than that, good stuff.

Glad we made it in at 9am, as there was a line out the door when we left.