“One of my favourite dining experiences”
Review of Canlis Restaurant

Canlis Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 4,383 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
Cross street: Haliday
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Ever since Canlis decided to initiate a curated coffee program, it has been on my radar as a must visit venue. In short, my visit completely met my expectations. I had very high expectations going into this meal. I wanted the chef's menu (but was unable due to the unwillingness of my dining companions, as everyone must participate). Having said this, I opted for the next best 4 course meal, and was absolutely satisfied. The food was amazing, the cocktails were great, the wine was great, it all was superb. The most amazing aspect of this dining experience though was the service. At the beginning of the meal, the wait staff were absolutely in our face with recommendations, suggestions, information, etc. But as the meal progressed, they faded into the background, always attentive, never intrusive, but attentive to the smallest detail and in many ways, anticipating our needs, so as to never be a distraction to our conversations. I was blown away by my meal and dining experience. P.S. The coffee is great too. While you will drop some cash on this meal, if you want amazing food coupled to amazing service, make a reservation. You won't regret it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We went there for our anniversary dinner with the family, so did 3 other couples on adjacent tables. The service was the best part of the evening: attentive without hovering, responsive without being too eager. My filet mignon (A) was better than the lamb that my wife ordered (B+). The oysters trio were great: tommomoku helps calibrate the shigoku, apparently tumbled in the waves to plump them up. Sweeter and a tad more briny which I loved. The soufflé for dessert was well presented though the sauce could have been a little less runny. The restaurant has a Grand Award of Excellence from Wine Spectator and justifiably so with a tour de force of Washington wines plus the usual greats from California, France. The corkage policy is a little unusual: they charge $10 per person and only if they don't have the wine. If the wine you like is on the list, they won't accept your bottle. And they have a long list of wines. We decided to bring a Quilceda Creek 2002, a year they didn't have on the list. All told a lovely dinner and we would recommend it to others who have special events to celebrate.

Reviewed August 12, 2014 via mobile

Place for THE special occasion with outstanding service, food and wine list. It has only valet parking which is good to know in advance. The best restaurant in Seattle area as per my opinion.

Reviewed August 11, 2014

We went for the New Year's Eve celebration, a tasting menu with wine pairings and a foursome. It was the first seating (of two) so we did have to wrap up at the end and leave to clear a space for the second seating.

We've been 5-6 times over the last 10 years, and each time we go, Canlis seems better. It also seems to get more expensive.

The environment was expectedly festive. The view is hard to beat.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

To give you the picture, we are Belgian lovers of a kitchen which presents a marriage of good quality ingredients, cooked according to the best standards and sprinkled with imagination and innovation. When we drove on to the premisses, the building of the Canlis and is surroundings revealed themselves as a magnificent decor for a fine dining experience. The lady of the house received us, and took the time for an interesting and entertaining conversation on the Canlis and gastronomy in Belgium. This was the standard for the evening, what waiters and quality of service was concerned: top. We choose the 4 course dinner. The impressive wine list showed an endless row of goodies from around the world, however at "spicy prices". It's my conviction that a restaurant should offer a number of reasonable priced wines of excellent quality lacking "a big name", but thus lowering the threshold for young people interested in good dining. They are the customer of the future. As first courses we choose a tomato mozzarella inspired dish and the foie gras. The first dish had one big problem the balance was lost, far too much tomato and to little mozzarella to give a counterweight. There I experienced the downturn of what the lady of the house clarified: most dishes have been on the menu for decades since Canlis started. In this dish you feel the need to update and modernise the balance of different tastes and the use of more ingredients to create an experience, something you have the right to expect in iconic restaurant. The foie gras was of excellent quality and its rich flavour was sufficient to carry this plate.As second course we choose the prawns. This time the simplicity was a winner: fresh prawns almost uncooked but warm drizzled with a sauce that left room for the delicate taste of the prawns. As main course we choose for the lam and the wagyu beef. The lamb was for my taste rather mainstream. I have tasted much better quality meat on different occasions. The meat was only accompanied by a rosti-like garnish. Not good enough for this level of restaurant. The Wagyu was ok, but again I would have expected an overwhelming taste experience.The meat was also served without anything, no vegetables nothing. The desserts were both super and mediocre. The chocolate fondant was not fondant (which was in my opinion also impossible to realise taking into account the way the pastry was conceived). But the soufflé was probably the best I ever tasted, magnificent. This shows that the kitchen hides expertise and genuine gifted forces. To the owners of the Canlis, please let history for what it is and give creativity a place in the house of Canlis.

1  Thank Geert999

Been to Canlis Restaurant? Share your experiences!