“NOT to be MISSED!!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canlis Restaurant

Canlis Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Canlis Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 4,062 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
Cross street: Haliday
Westchester, NY
“NOT to be MISSED!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Enter into this former house, now restaurant, and you enter into a magical world of perfect food theatre. The food alone is worth the travel (slightly outside of downtown Seattle) and the advanced reservation (if you're planning on traveling to Seattle - make sure you book in advance or you'll have the 9:45 seting - which will be too late to fully enjoy this 2+ hour eating adventure). However, the combination of food, and synchronized food service, is an experiance not to be missed. With wine you will end up spending at least $150. per person - but considering that you will be receiving a great meal and a great presentation this is money well spent! Don't miss this moment it's a Seattle moment!

Visited April 2013

Seattle
“" Its Love "”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have been going to this restaurant since I was a kid , it use to be this place where our parents took us and we would get dressed up and be on our best behavior. At that time they only had women servers and they all dressed in original Japanese Kimono's. I miss that part of Canlis History and sometimes wish they would return to their original way , though I know nothing stays the same.
The restaurant still holds it lovely appeal , great service , lovely decor and the simplicity of knowing you are walking into a generational experience. I still love going here with my parents and friends and look forward to the fine food and the fun of being there.
Do I miss some of the original menu items ? Yes
I think part of me still wants some things in this city not to change. If you are looking for a special place , this is it . Its classic and it still holds memories that cannot go away no matter how much change you bring.

• Visited April 2013
Cape Town, South Africa
“World-Class Dining Experience: Unique, Exceptional, Mind-blowing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I honestly don't have sufficient words to aptly describe this unique dining experience whilst in Seattle last year. My very dear friends treated me to an evening here - I honestly couldn't believe how exceptional everything was - way beyond my wildest expectation - service, ambiance, friendliness of everyone including the parking staff - who didn't, I might just ad, even take our names down when we arrived. When wanting to leave, the car was parked right outside the front door ready for us to drive away! Kyle Johnson, was our lead waiter & sommelier - PHENOMENAL in every sense of the word. Food was exceptional, presentation mind-blowing (like works of art) with fantastic views over Seattle. Bottom line, if you go to Seattle and don't experience CANLIS, you are seriously losing out!!!!!!!!!!!! World-class in every sense of the word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2012
seattle
“Always Special”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I love Canlis. It's our special go-to place for important guests, and family celebrations. We were there recently for my mother-in-law's birthday celebration. Service is excellent for an American restaurant, they seem to have adopted the Asian culture's philosophy of making service an art form. From the minute you drive up to their sheltered entrance and are greeted by one or more valets to when you come out to claim your car after your evening it's fantastic. I'm sure you've already read about their signature 'no name, no ticket' valet service. They have a system which unobtrusively tracks who you are, and when you are ready to leave. By magic your car is waiting for you.

Once seated the service inside is equally smooth and perfect. Like a choreographed dance plates arrive at the same time, and your server checks back on a regular basis without seeming to intrude. Nice. And such a refreshing change from other expensive places where you can't seem to get any server's attention until you are finished with your meal.

The food? Wouldn't want to forget that. Well, really can't, it's that good. Oh, but I do have one complaint: the twice baked potatos are served in a metal ramiken and they remain hot, too hot, throughout the meal. And the biggest complaint? Those darned potatos are so loaded with yummy calories you can't stop eating them. But it's a problem I'm willing to overlook time and again!

Thanks for being there Canlis.

• Visited March 2013
Seattle
“Still the Gold Standard in Seattle”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have to confess that when dining at Canlis recently, I was waiting for it to be less than wonderful in some respect - less than perfect service, a poorly executed dish, a bad vibe. Nothing materialized except that we were seated, on a completely filled Friday evening, in an area occupied by what seemed to be business people loudly talking shop and paying scant attention to the food. Remedy: next time we will come during the week and expressly request to be seated in a more sedate area.

The food is always good but Altura and the Willows Inn on Lummi serve very good food too. What leaves Canlis in a class of its own is the total package - great food, exceptional wine list, best service in Seattle and a great space. One can only hope that as they evolve they continue to hew to the core principles that keep them on top.

One final point: a reviewer recently gave Canlis one star because of frosty treatment at the host stand because of his dress. I don't know whether he had on flip flops and a Hawaiian shirt or what, but save yourself embarrassment, be an adult and dress properly for the occasion.

• Visited March 2013