“Waaay to spicy, but good specials and pretty good food”
Review of Tup Tim Thai

Tup Tim Thai
Ranked #694 of 4,098 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Magnolia / Queen Anne
Washington Dc
“Waaay to spicy, but good specials and pretty good food”
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I went to Seattle for an event and didn't really have anytime to do much else, but we got to out to dinner one night and as soon as they said Thai, I said woo hoo!

Tup Tim Thai is located in a seemingly accessible part of Seattle and it's quaintly decorated. It's not new and modern inside, but it's not old and gross. They easily accommodated our group of 14 even as we arrived in clumps on a Saturday evening. I ordered a garlic beef dishes for my entree. I was ready to order some Kanom Jeep dumplings as a appetizer, but they didn't have it on the menu and settled for some spring rolls. They were so small and teeny.

I asked for spicy food, but it was so spicy, I couldn't even eat it...no matter how much rice I had. Was glad I had my spring rolls. I don't drink beer, but my friends were excited about their bucket of 3 beers for $9. We had a good time and enjoyed it. I tasted my friend's curry chicken with pineapple and it was really good. It was in a great sauce.

• Visited August 2011

Pacific Northwest
“Don't get caught in the hype...”
Reviewed July 20, 2011

My wife and I are frequent travellers to Seattle and have been hoping to find a Thai restaurant which we could frequent. A quick search on TripAdvisor showed a bit of promise. The reviews seemed to indicate this was a place worth trying.

As others have mentioned, parking can be a bit of a hassle in the area. After a few circles around the block, we found a free parking spot on one of the side streets (next to the KFC). It was early in the evening and we arrived to find a couple of tables occupied. Our hostess/waitress was pleasant and friendly, quickly directing us to an empty table in the middle of the room. The decro was a little bit dated, but all is forgiven if the food is any good. A quick glance at the menu and it looked promising. We ordered the Penang curry chicken, Tom Yam Gai, Crispy Prawns, Spicy Beef Salad and Pad Thai to start.

Spicy Beef Salad. Flavourful dish that I've had in other restaurant. This was probably the best dish of the night. Solid 7.5/10. Would order again, although not something I would go out of my way to drive for.

Crispy Prawns. Another solid 7.5/10. Just the right amount of crispiness in the Panko crust. This dish would have warranted a 8-9/10 if it was seasoned better.... perhaps salty garlic would have done the trick.

Penang Curry Chicken. A little bit too sweet but otherwise okay. 7/10.

Tom Yam Gai. We ordered the large portion and got 3 small pieces of chicken in an otherwise unappealing looking broth. Flavour wise if was decent once you to pass the look. Would have scored a pt or 2 higher if not for the lack of protein in this dish. 5/10.

Basil Scallops. I call it the Basil Scallop stir fry. This is nothing like the sublime version that is serve at Lotus of Siam in Vegas. Instead of perfectly seared Maine Scallops served over a sublime spicy Basil sauce, we get small diver scallops cooked with Basil and some yet to be identified sauce. Should have clued in with the sub $15 price tag (instead of the $25+ you pay at LOS). 5/10.

Chicken Pad Thai. This is a dish that I would consistently order in every Thai restaurant I have dined in. This example is easily the single worst rendition I have come across. Slathered in cheap ketchup and they didn't even bother to use the flat noodles. It was so inedible that we didn't even bother to ask for a takeout box (and any one that knows me would attest to how much I hate wasting food). An epic 1/10. FAIL.

Service in this restaurant was homey. The owner came by too check on us and made sure that everything was okay. I didn't have the heart to tell him how disappointed we were with some of the dishes. A point was taken off for the younger male cashier who was not friendly when the final bill arrived. All in all, this is an okay restaurant for a quick bite, but do not expect any authentic Thai food to be served here.

• Visited July 2011
2 Thank Mattiasdad
Elgin
“Great meal for a good price”
Reviewed May 5, 2011

There are a few thai places in this area of seattle. We chose tup tim and were not disappointed. Friendly and helpful staff. Good portions. Tasty fresh and light thai dishes. Best of all a tiny bill at the end. It's great value.

Oakland, CA
“nice people unremarkable meal”
Reviewed March 27, 2011

As a vegan, I asked for a recommendation of something I could eat there with plenty of vegetables and no fish sauce. The sauce they prepared for me was bland and boring.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank mimi_bird
US
“Our go-to Thai”
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Love this place $ have been patronizing for nearly 20 years. In all that time they have been consistently "on". Their dishes are the standard we use for all other Thai places.

Great,fast service whether we eat there or take away. Everyone we've taken there has returned on their own multiple times.

The only thing they could improve is the wine list, but they have a couple decent choices and good beer selections. No cocktails.

Been to Tup Tim Thai? Share your experiences!