“Stunning Cambodian”

Ranked #727 of 4,231 Restaurants in Seattle
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Yesterday for lunch we happened onto Phnom Penh Noodle House on King Street in Seattle, in the "international district". Of the several excellent dishes we had, the most astoundingly good was the A-Mok Trei, a kind of casserole with red curry, "white fish", lemon grass, kaffir lime, and maybe zodoary served on a mild-tasting leafy Asian vegetable. This is a dish that I know I will never forget for my whole life. It is that tasty.

Luckily the owner/chef's daughter happened to wait on us and provided detailed and educational info about the various choices. Afterward we asked if we could speak with Sam the owner/chef and had a long, amiable conversation about his various cuisinary exploits over the last three decades in America. He turned out to be extremely open about his recipes. We viewed his extensive scrapbook with photos of him with Gore and Clinton and innumerable photos of food art that Sam has produced for large functions during his years in Seattle.

I was so taken with the a-mok trei that I got a to-go order and had it AGAIN today for lunch, reheated at home. I was afraid that it would suffer in the process, but it proved to travel quite well. Every bite I took I kept thinking "This cannot be this good, this cannot be this good." I hope you agree with my opinion -- I heartily recommend you give it and the other dishes a try. Besides Cambodian, there are also Thai and Chinese appetizers, entrees, soups, noodle soups.

By the way, contrary to the info in the entry, this restaurant is open from 11a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday, not for breakfast. It is a pretty place, not terribly large, but a good deal larger than it appears from the outside. I felt at ease as soon as we walked in.

Enjoy!

3  Thank user1089r

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I usually order #10, or if I don't want soup, #17. But pretty much anything here is good. Most of the people I go with order #1 (Seafood noodle).

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed December 19, 2007

The number 1 is my favourite. All the other is good except the last one ( the noodle for vegetarian). Doughnut is tasty and not oily at all.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook