“Sad, downhill slide”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Neighborhood: Georgetown
Reviewed September 11, 2008

My fiance and I have eaten at Daimonji for about a decade and the service, staff, and food have changed for the worse. First of all, over half the staff that used to serve us have left and were replaced by rude women who stand next our table talking and watching us eat. It was as if they wanted us to leave right away. Second, the tempura is bland and greasy and I've been lectured by our server that it takes 30 minutes to make okonomiyaki. This Japanese "pancake" is their signature dish, yet when we tried to order our favorite variety we were told it was not popular and "too hard to make"! We paid the bill grudgingly and left with a sense of sadness.

1  Thank bananappealus

Reviewed November 2, 2006

I had been a fan of this restaurant for about a decade. Before tonight my dining experiences there had been immensely pleasurable and satisfying. I used to recommend this place to everyone I knew.

Unfortunately, my fiancé and I dined there this evening and were shocked at how the service, presentation, and quality of food had plummeted.

First of all it was approximately 20 minutes before our order was actually taken, after being seated at a table. When our food finally arrived, it was out of sequence with the appetizer arriving late and our sushi arriving as an afterthought to the main entree platter. The presentation of the dishes was chaotic, evidencing a complete ignorance of the former owner's authentically Japanese esthetic and culinary sophistication. Crumpled papers and empty dishes were left on the table, and not cleared to make room for the subsequent courses.

You could tell with every bite, that this was not the fine restaurant of old. The calamari lacked flavor. The tempura was soggy and cold. The grilled salmon was very dry and tough. The miso soup arrived after the entrees. The sushi arrived as dessert.

And, when we inquired about the change in management, we were told that it had recently changed. The staff asked us what we thought of the food, and we told them about the above observations. They responded by telling us that they had retained the same staff, kept the exact same menu and were paying their chef a lot of money. He supposedly had worked for the previous owners. We did not recognize him, nor the staff members, even though we have been dining at Daimonji for almost a decade. There was no apology for the food and presentation's poor quality.

We will not return. And, will warn everyone we know.

5  Thank WhinerDiner