“Hands down - my favorite in Seattle”
Review of La Medusa

La Medusa
Reserve with OpenTable
La Medusa is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,040 of 4,137 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Seattle, Washington
“Hands down - my favorite in Seattle”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This place has it all - wonderful deep-flavored food, a relaxed but bustling urban bistro atmosphere, and beautiful and friendly staff who make the whole experience come together. As you might expect, there could be a wait for a table at peak times, and there's no bar area, but Columbia City has enough going on to entertain you during your pre-dinner stroll.

The menu is on a blackboard on the wall, with a variety of pastas and Italian dishes. There's lots of fresh ingredients, often straight from the local farmers' market. If you see something you like, order it quickly, since some items do run out and get erased from the board. That goes especially for desserts. I love the carbonara with fresh duck egg dropped on top. The salads are great as are roasted vegetables as side dishes. Wine list is reasonable and varied and the wait staff will make recommendations within your range. The only downside is that they have taken out the pizza oven and with it, the spectacular sardine and duck egg thin crust pizza (great as an appetizer).

What really makes this place is the atmosphere. It's one of those places that's both comfortable yet makes you feel cool just by being there. The wait staff adds to the atmosphere with cheeky charm and just a teeny bit of attitude. Did I mention that they are universally beautiful from smile to tattoo?

• Visited November 2011

Seattle
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fine, fresh sicilian inspired food.”
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This is our favorite restaurant in town. Very honest, well prepared food served by a great collection of people. Both the service side and the kitchen side of the restaurant are wonderful. We go there once a week at least, and truly enjoy the ambiance and family sense of the restaurant. Gordon Wishard, the main chef is a genius in food preparation, but especially when cooking scallops! And their home made pasta dishes are incredible. Very casual, very enjoyable small restaurant. My husband & I just returned from a 2week trip in Europe and we can hardly wait to get to the restaurant fo a great meal! We have missed their food and service. Be sure to make reservations when you go.

• Visited May 2012
Freeland, Washington
“An Unexpected Treat!”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

Our first time out to this restaurant. I am of Sicilian background, so can be a bit picky when it comes to Mediterranean restaurants. The food was so handcrafted, enjoyable and complex! I had a handmade pancetta carbonara with fresh egg yolk, and my husband had a four chanterelle dish with a light cream sauce! He was happy as a lark! Great service, quality food- a find in Seattle . . . .

• Visited March 2012
Detroit, Michigan
“Nice unassuming restuaruant with interesting menu”
Reviewed February 24, 2012

We went there last night with son, daughter in-law and scrumptious and perfectly behaved 5 month old grand-daughter (of course *I* am not biased!). I was worried when I first got there because the menu was written on the chalk board and was limited. It is an Italian-type restaurant, but the menu (at least last night) only had one tried and true standard Italian fare menu choice (spaghetti with hand rolled/special recipe meatballs). I ordered it because the other items did not appeal to me - I don't like fish dishes (even if just anchovies or sardines).

Anyway, the food was just terrific! We shared appetizers which is a way to force me into trying something new. We got some sort of giant risotto and cheese balls that were really, really good. We also had another appetizer that was made of cauliflower which was also very, very good. The spaghetti and meatballs were out of this world. Maybe a tried and true menu choice, but there were not not like any other meatballs I have ever had.

The dessert was good (I had an apple tart sort of thing) and the drinks and wine pours were generous. Comfy homey restaurant. Good ambiance and not too expensive. I would recommend it and I would definitely return. If you have a real picky eater - check the menu before you sit down.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank Fitzgig
Seattle
“Feel pampered and eat well, even if you are in the 99%!”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

We visited with relatives from California, for a dinner party of 5, and ordered an assortment of main dishes, appetizers, and wine. For a little more than $100, we all felt transported to a warm and welcoming Italian home where recipes had been handed down from people who were amanti di buon alimento. Make a reservation. Very popular!

• Visited October 2011