“Good food”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pioneer Square
Cross street: Western
Transit: We are close to the light rail and the bus stops.
Kansas City, Missouri
“Good food”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our food here was just fine. It tasted to me like authentic Italian fare. The restaurant itself has very little ambiance. I know they have cooking classes here, and the class seemed to be having a great time, while the diners like us were just in a very small front room. The server was not always quick, but I have no real complaints. It just wasn't a special experience. I think if I went here again I would take the cooking class instead of just eating at the restaurant.

• Visited July 2013

Kelowna, Canada
“Not fine italian dining but still ok”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the restaurant early and were pleased to get in early our server was very nice and did his best to accomodate us the restaurant itself is split in two one half for cooking class the other for dining the dining area is quite cramped and lacks ambience and is rather informal as to the whole fine dining approach we had the dinner for four groupon for ninety dollars plus tax and tip was close to one fifty the groupon menu is very limited however there regular menu seemed limited as well food was out very fast maybe a little too fast portions small a basket of bread would be a nice compliment to dinner between our party of five we tried all the appetizers the soup was very good and same with bruschetta however the pear salad looks slapped together and lacks a complete flavour for mains the sausage rissoto was good the ravioli while a little tough had a nice sauce the chicken pesto pasta was good but pesto was rather bland and the chicken linguini was ok all of these with a little effort could be made just as well at home the water was served in a chipped jug and there were lots of flys stairs to bathroom a little steep and anti slip paper coming off so its a tripping hazard tiramisu good not sure if its house made but one of the best ive had kids liked the cannolis

• Visited July 2013
Seattle
“Groupon Cooking Class Al Boccalino”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

The class was fun and taught by Luigi's son Micah who did a good job and the final product was tasty. Here are my observations. The cooking class space is exceptionally cramped and all of the class attendees will be handling your food - so luck of the draw if you have some dirty slobs attending you might want to load up on penicillin beforehand. The produce that we chopped and diced was old and scarred - I truly believe it is given to the restaurant free from Pike Place Market vendors who cannot sell it due to the poor appearance. I kept reminding myself that this is "Rustic" Italian cuisine - which is certainly was based on the rust on the Romaine lettuce. We brought a bottle of wine and were told there would be a corkage fee, no problem as I had expected that. However, Luigi, the owner, saw the opened bottle and gave a strong disapproval to his waitstaff in full view of us. Very unprofessional and unnecessary. The Groupon offer was $69 (for two people) for a "$240 value". At the end of the meal the bills arrived and all of us were a bit shocked. I had not ordered anything beyond the class that I pre-paid for - plus an undisclosed corkage fee. My bill was just under $40! And others who had ordered a carafe of cheap house wine had bills approaching $70!! The fee to open my own bottle of wine (not a single glass of which was poured by any member of the restaurant staff) was $15! We asked a waiter to help us understand our bills. The waiter had clearly been asked this same question hundreds and hundreds of previous times and had that in-your-face matter-of-fact "here we go again" attitude as he explained some obscure formula that they were using to charge tax on the balance of the $240 value minus the prepaid $69 Groupon with a 15% gratuity added plus any carafe wine charges ($35) and that it was all legal according to Groupon terms and conditions. All of the class members felt it was a bit of a shake-down and perhaps seasoned with some bait-and-switch. It should also be noted that I despite paying with $40 in cash no change was brought back to me!!!! … more "shake-down". I would also like to point out It was interesting to note that despite being a Saturday night the restaurant only had two tables of patrons the entire evening. One might surmise that they are using the classes, and shake-down approach, to keep the restaurant afloat. Very shameful behavior on the part of the owner. Groupon should drop them from any further offers as it also is a bad reflection on them.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank SeattleDiner
Washington
“A dissappointment...but a great dessert”
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I often purchase dining offers from Living Social and Groupon. Trying restaurants out of my area is fun and I have found several "gems" that have become favorites. This visit was a Living Social purchase. Unfortunately, this restaurant does not understand that making a first impression may be your one shot.

This was a 3-course dinner selected by the restaurant. The first course was some type of completely dryed out piece of crustless bread with a spicy cream cheese mixture spread on top with a drizzle of spicy olive oil. If you tried to cut it the bread shattered..trying to just bite into it produced a similar result. Most of this was uneaten. We then requested bread with olive oil and were brought some foccacia with oil on top. This appeared on our bill.

The entree was Chicken Marsala. It was pasta thoroughly mixed in an unimpressive sauce and nearly microscopic chicken pieces.

I would go to this restaurant for dessert after dinner elsewhere. The tiramisu was wonderful.

• Visited June 2013
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
“Delicious Authentic Italian Cuisine”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We enjoyed our meal here, as the ingredients were fresh and the sauces were authentic Italian. Service was prompt, and the historic building near the waterfront provides for cozy dining.

Visited May 2013