“Wonderful Italian food and atmosphere...”
Review of Al Boccalino

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Pioneer Square
Cross street: Western
Transit: We are close to the light rail and the bus stops.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Al Boccalino is a wonderful Italian restaurant tucked into the last building on Yesler Street down near the water. It is small so a reservation is suggested. We first enjoyed the food of Luigi DeNunzio nearly 15 years ago and have always remembered that experience. During a recent visit to Seattle we were pleased to find that he (and the family) was still running this “find” for Italian fare. The wines are Italian…we had a very acceptable 1998 Sangiovese for $35! The Bruschetta was excellent, while not traditional. The Pear Salad is an excellent choice. We enjoyed Gnocchi with an excellent Wild Boar sauce…spiced perfectly. The staff was very pleasant to deal with and offered excellent options of other fine food family restaurants in the area. They know what they offer in quality and welcoming service and are not afraid to make good referrals to other “non-tourist” restaurants in the area. We decided to try one of their other restaurants, Café Bengodi, the next night (two blocks up the street). While funky and definitely a local corner Italian treat, Café Bengodi was also a wonderful experience. Try them both…

Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is our second time eating at Al Boccalino having eaten here almost one year ago. The location is easily accessible and in a funky part of town. Small restaurant with one half set up for cooking class dinner and a smaller section for regular diners.

We came back specifically for the Lamb Lasagna - absolutely the BEST I have ever eaten. Second time as good as the first time. Some very unique Italian dishes on the menu. we split the pear and gorgonzola salad that was also excellent. My wife ordered the Salmon and it was perfectly cooked with a nice risotto.

The down side to this little place is it is getting tired, the waiter although pleasant is not that attentive. Wine list is OK but nothing to brag about and no vegetables to be seen with the meal.

worth a visit for the lasagna but will seek out other Seattle gems next we visit.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We signed up for the cooking lesson from the owner. The lesson itself was very basic, which was fine if you expect cooking 1A (he told us to expect this). He had a great sense of humor, and shared some philosophies and tips for cooking. However, when we saw his restaurant menu, we saw an excellent selection we probably should have eaten. When we go back, we will certainly go there.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

While I've not dined at Al Boccalino, now that I've taken Luigi's cooking class I'll be back for dinner. The class was very enjoyable and informative. Luigi emphasizes cooking as opposed to following a recipe. Throughout the hands-on class he teaches technique, tasting, and imparts a variety of knowledge gained through a long career. Practical information on the proper use of fresh and dried herbs, the proper way to heat and use olive oil, carving technique and many other subjects will be of benefit in my kitchen no matter the cuisine of the day. Luigi's very direct and humorous manner and the opportunity to share the beautiful meal prepared with our classmates made for a fun afternoon.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Just got home from dinner at Al Boccalino. Fabulous. Luigi and Angelia are great hosts. The house wine, a sangiovese, was very nice. My wife had the fresh noodles, the fat ones, with pesto sauce and chicken which she absolutely loved. I had the rissoti with homemade sausage. My oh my, it was good. The pear salad with walnuts was very nice and my home made canneloni bean soup was delicious. If you want good food and are not in a hurry this is the place for you. We americans are in a big hurry to eat...the Europeans are not. Loved this place. Will go again very soon. Signed up for the cooking class there....

Been to Al Boccalino? Share your experiences!