“A restaurant inspired by a silly person”
Review of Silence Heart-Nest Restaurant - MOVED

Silence Heart-Nest Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Indian
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: University District
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We'd seen this place on a stroll the evening before we went, not realizing it was a vegetarian restaurant, though that was clear when we came the next morning. It didn't bother us; we're perfectly happy not eating meat as long as the veggies are good.

I had the scrambled pesto wrap and I found it pretty tasty. Not special, I guess, but not bad. My partner had a pretty typical breakfast plate that he found not that tasty, plus soy bacon, which is hilariously awful if you know what bacon is. If you don't, then, great! Enjoy your bacon-ish cracker.

Read up on the guy that this restaurant is inspired by; you'll either laugh or cringe. You'll see his name on the menu and on cards on the table. He wouldn't inspire me to become vegetarian, I'll tell you that much.

There are newer reviews for Silence Heart-Nest Restaurant

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We were sightseeing in Fremont and came across this delightful little restaurant. No idea what to expect from the name but were absolutely thrilled with the service, food and ambience Very fresh food, sweet lady serving us and great prices. Definitely would return.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

I already submitted a review but it seems it got lost and only my photos were published. I hope I don't end up with a double post here.
Wandering around Fremont, looking for a meal, we ended up at Silence-Heart-Nest because it looked bright, busy and cheerful. The writing on the windows announcing "Sweet Potato Biscuits" and "Neat loaf Sandwiches" was intruiging. The plates we could see through the windows were full and everyone looked happy. We were not disappointed.
The first thing that came was my tea. The tea came in a large pot and was properly prepared with boiling water poured over the tea. Strangely, this is rare in Seattle and becoming rare even in Canada. (Warm water and a tea bag is not "tea". It is some kind of science experiment. Tea requires BOILING water. Sorry. Back to the review now.) But this place makes good, hot tea. And lots of it.
I ordered the mango blueberry waffles from the specials menu and they were possibly the best waffles I've eaten. Big, light, crisp on the outside with dark edges. There were two of them and they were accompanied by mango compote and blueberry puree. Topped with whipped cream.
My darling ordered a scrambled egg thing called avocado something also off the specials menu. It had tortillas and avocado mixed in along with a few other things. He said they were amazing. I tried them and thought they were very good but wished they had real bacon to accompanty them. (Here there is only soy bacon.) The potatoes accompanying his eggs were slightly spicy and crisp. Beautifully cooked home fries. The fresh salsa was mild but very fresh.
I couldn't pass on the sweet potato biscuits so we had those too. Small, dense, moist. Warm with butter melting; they were just what I had hoped for. Not sweet. Crumbly.
This is not a place to go for a romantic meal as it was full to the brim and there was always a line up coveting out table but we were never rushed. The service from the sari- and running shoe-wearing servers was gracious and pleasant. Go here to fill up on good food, cheaply. Maybe it will even be good for your soul as the place was founded because of the teachings of Sri Chinmoy. I know nothing about him except that he did inspire good food. But the happy servers seemed to be onto something.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Just wandering around Fremont one morning looking for a 'diner' type of place and came upon Silence Heart-nest. Had no idea it was vegetarian until we looked at the menu. My Mediterranean omelet was soooo good; Heaps of feta and olives and garlicky pesto. My husband ordered the eggs florentine and that was great too! Recommended!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We went to this restaurant not knowing it was vegetarian so it became our very first vegetarian experience :) We really enjoyed it - the food is delicious and the service was excellent. The restaurant is a bit noisy so if you're looking for a quiet little place to read the paper then you should look elsewhere. We would definitely return - I highly recommend the vanilla pancakes!