“Great food in a niosy, friendly,veggie, community kind of place.”
Review of Silence Heart-Nest Restaurant - MOVED

Silence Heart-Nest Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Indian
Dining options: Lunch
Neighborhood: University District
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I already submitted a review but it seems it got lost and only my photos were published. I hope I don't end up with a double post here.
Wandering around Fremont, looking for a meal, we ended up at Silence-Heart-Nest because it looked bright, busy and cheerful. The writing on the windows announcing "Sweet Potato Biscuits" and "Neat loaf Sandwiches" was intruiging. The plates we could see through the windows were full and everyone looked happy. We were not disappointed.
The first thing that came was my tea. The tea came in a large pot and was properly prepared with boiling water poured over the tea. Strangely, this is rare in Seattle and becoming rare even in Canada. (Warm water and a tea bag is not "tea". It is some kind of science experiment. Tea requires BOILING water. Sorry. Back to the review now.) But this place makes good, hot tea. And lots of it.
I ordered the mango blueberry waffles from the specials menu and they were possibly the best waffles I've eaten. Big, light, crisp on the outside with dark edges. There were two of them and they were accompanied by mango compote and blueberry puree. Topped with whipped cream.
My darling ordered a scrambled egg thing called avocado something also off the specials menu. It had tortillas and avocado mixed in along with a few other things. He said they were amazing. I tried them and thought they were very good but wished they had real bacon to accompanty them. (Here there is only soy bacon.) The potatoes accompanying his eggs were slightly spicy and crisp. Beautifully cooked home fries. The fresh salsa was mild but very fresh.
I couldn't pass on the sweet potato biscuits so we had those too. Small, dense, moist. Warm with butter melting; they were just what I had hoped for. Not sweet. Crumbly.
This is not a place to go for a romantic meal as it was full to the brim and there was always a line up coveting out table but we were never rushed. The service from the sari- and running shoe-wearing servers was gracious and pleasant. Go here to fill up on good food, cheaply. Maybe it will even be good for your soul as the place was founded because of the teachings of Sri Chinmoy. I know nothing about him except that he did inspire good food. But the happy servers seemed to be onto something.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Just wandering around Fremont one morning looking for a 'diner' type of place and came upon Silence Heart-nest. Had no idea it was vegetarian until we looked at the menu. My Mediterranean omelet was soooo good; Heaps of feta and olives and garlicky pesto. My husband ordered the eggs florentine and that was great too! Recommended!

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We went to this restaurant not knowing it was vegetarian so it became our very first vegetarian experience :) We really enjoyed it - the food is delicious and the service was excellent. The restaurant is a bit noisy so if you're looking for a quiet little place to read the paper then you should look elsewhere. We would definitely return - I highly recommend the vanilla pancakes!

Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

I'm NOT a Vegartain or Vegan so to me, eating at a place that caters to them is not my cup of tea. With that being said, we decided to check it out and I LOVED it!!!!! I had Center of the Universe and the tastes were beyond what I had expected. My girlfriend had the pancakes with eggs and Turkey Sausage. I can say that it was AMAZING!!!!! I had originally thought of getting the waffle bc it looked good but was happy with my selection. The atmosphere was great, some great energy and beautiful wall decorations. The service was OK but the food made up for it!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Good healthy food and nice staff. A bit noisy but good location and had a good grilled cheese sandwich