“Great find.”

Shalimar Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Shalimar Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,057 of 4,132 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: NE 43rd Street
Description: We are Shalimar! Open for 24 years in Seattle, we are the oldest running Indian and Pakistani restaurant. At our restaurant we serve authentic Indian and Pakistani cuisine, including halal meat. We strive for your best dinning experience. Please let us know if we are making your dinning experience the best it can be, by leaving us tips and suggestions or by telling us what you like. Thanks and happy dinning! - Shalimar Crew
Pacific Northwest
“Great find.”
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Found this restaurant via Groupon and we are sure glad we did! Visited for lunch and this place must be popular with the local populace as it was busy. Service was quick and efficient without being cold. Food came out piping hot and flavourful. Price is a bit high without the discount but we will be back inspire of that. Great find!

• Visited November 2013

Illinois
“Tasty spot near UW”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Located in the University District near UW,this Indian-Pakistani restaurant whips up traditional dishes with a twist. Reservations are accepted. The staff are friendly and attentive, making you feel like you are dining at a friends house. http://www.shalimarseattle.com

• Visited October 2013
Washington
“Delicious food, huge portions”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had eaten at Shalimar in its old (smaller) location down the block some years ago. We were delighted that in the new location the food was every bit as good as we remembered, perhaps even better. We ordered two things: the "signature" entree Chicken Jaipuri, and Tandoori Chicken. Either one would have been enough for the two of us to share for lunch; as it was, we ended up taking most of the Tandoori chicken with us to reheat for dinner (and it was almost as good reheated as it had been at lunch).

Both entrees were absolutely delicious. The chicken was tender, the sauce (both on the Jaipuri and on the side for the tandoori) extraordinarily flavorful, the rice was excellent, and my side order of raita was first-rate too. We will definitely be back the next time we're in Seattle.

The only slight downside was that the service was a little slow and a little distracted-seeming -- the waitress forgot our cokes, for instance, and had to be reminded that we'd ordered them. But the food is so good that I'm still giving five stars even with the service glitches.

• Visited August 2013
California
“Great find in the U dub district.”
Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Great find. Packed on a Thursday night. Tried the Pakistani curry. It was very good. Would have got stars but was charged $4.99 for a dipping size side of raita. All other prices were reasonable.

Seattle
“I Can't Believe I Never Reviewed This Restaurant”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Shalimar was at a different, smaller location a block away from where it is now, when I first found it in 1993. It was a bit cramped, but the food was almost intoxicating, the wine quite nice, and the service friendly (though, maybe due to culture, they had a maddening tendency to refer every question to my husband!). We live in another part of town, but three or four times a year, we'd go up, and later, when our daughter was born and old enough to be civilized in a restaurant (and also LEARN how to behave in a restaurant; part of her education!), we took her along. When she was small, they made a great fuss over her, and she in turn was captivated by the amazing art (embroidered and beaded fabric, mostly) on the walls.

They became so popular, they couldn't seat everyone! The waiting line had so little indoor space that the door stood open at times, causing patrons to freeze in cold weather, noise to come in, and I am sure, the heating bill to soar! So they moved.

It is a treasured part of our family life to, every now and then, eat at Shalimar, and then go to a very nice used book store around the corner, where we pick up delicious bargains for the eye.

Most of my family is partial to the curry. Chicken, lamb, vegetable, beef, and tofu types are available, at various spice/hot levels. Their menu has grown dramatically from the standard two pages back in the '90s, to a comprehensive menu available online. I am partial to the lamb boti kabob, which does not come in a sauce (thus honoring my dietary needs in a truly scrumptious way)! We always order the unleavened bread, called nan. We get a plain one and a garlic one, and they have dips for these.

Today I will take out an order and bring it home, since I will be in the neighborhood, but when we dine in, sometimes instead of wine, we order a lasshi (not sure about the spelling), a fruity yogurt drink (and I hate yogurt, but I love these) in different types of fruit flavors, such as mango and blackberry.

The service is consistently good, and when some old friends came to town, I suggested we meet there, because no one was going to try to hurry us away from our booth (they also have tables, and can seat a large group if needed). One potential problem, for me anyway, is that if you sit in a booth, you stand an excellent chance of having the bar's TV in your face. I hate that, so I ask to sit at the other end of the restaurant, where a lovely little waterfall effect has been added to one wall, and I could look at that all day and not get tired of it! Sitting by the windows is good for people-watching, since this is located in the heart of the University of Washington's district (U-Dub to locals). Parking? Eh, you may have to circulate a little to find it. We often resort to a side street.

If you like Pakistani/Indian cuisine, you will love this place. If you are vegetarian or even vegan, you will be happy here, too. There are so many choices, and it is a beautiful place. If you are a tourist, The University of Washington Bookstore, which is quite large and interesting, is just a block away.

They're going to make me choose who it's for, but honestly, couples, family, friends, business, or solo, it's a good place to go. When did I visit, it asks. Well, as noted above, twenty years ago, and I am still a customer. I'll note my most recent visit, which will be this afternoon.

• Visited January 2013