“Eclectic Eatery”

Neighborhood: Lake Union
Surrey, Canada
“Eclectic Eatery”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We drove 15 minutes north of Downtown Seattle to find Bizzarro. Our party of four showed up on a Thursday night around 7pm without a reservation and was seated in 25 minutes. The eclectic decor suggests someone had a shopping spree at the thrift store, and the crowded, noisy dining room brings out the fun, party spirit within. The menu is just right. Not so many choices that it takes an hour to read them, but enough selection to please everyone. We all chose from the pasta selections and tired each other’s dish. The Clam Linguini was a little too salty from the house cured pancetta, but everyone agreed the winner was the Forest Floor Frenzy. The portions sizes are moderate with bread and house salad included. The service was friendly and attentive to our needs.
Overall the food is good but in my opinion there are some better Italian restaurants in Seattle. The experience was pleasant but I’ll remember the restrooms (you have to check them out) more that I’ll remember the food.

• Visited August 2013

Seattle, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of my favorite places to eat in Seattle”
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

I've been going here for a few years now. The food is always delicious, the wine is good and the service is acceptable. I've never been when its not busy so the service might be better during slower times. There's typically a wait so I always keep that in mind. My husband loves the Caesar salad, the elk and the lamb, and I love the gnocchi and the lasagna. One of these times I'll try something else as I'm sure it's all amazing.

• Visited July 2013
Cape Coral, Florida
“Unique and delicious!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The restaurant itself is small and extremely busy, but well worth the wait. It's in a small, friendly, beautiful neighborhood that was within walking distance of our rental house. Once seated, the eclectic decor was enough to keep us interested while waiting for our food, but after we got the food it was so delicious that we didn't notice anything else! The service was great, even though they were so busy. They took the time to explain dishes to us and make recommendations, and certainly steered us toward a memorable dinner. We will absolutely be back again on our next trip.

Visited June 2013
Dublin, Ohio
“Fun atmosphere with excellent food”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great find! Excellent Italian food. All in party enjoyed their meals including: soup, salad, carbonara pasta, pesto pasta, and rigatoni. Very fun atmosphere with plenty of interesting things to look at. Outstanding service! Highly recommend.

Visited August 2013
Hansville
“Off Night?”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Kids took us there for Father's Day. We arrived there about 15 minutes before opening time (5:00 pm) and were greeted by a line of 5 or 6 parties who were already ahead of us in line. The line rapidly got longer, and by opening time there were enough people there to pretty much fill all of the tables. After reading all to the positive reviews here on trip advisor or expectations were high and, since we purposely skipped lunch in anticipation of an excellent meal, we were eager with hunger and anticipation.

Unfottunately, the meal was a big letdown compared to our expectations. We ordered the "special" fruit-based" appetizer which turned out to be a relatively tasteless fruit cocktail. The wine by the glass (we tried a white and a red) was just OK, borderline unacceptable. My wife had the vaunted gnocci dish, which was just OK. I orderded the lasagna looking forward to the highly reviewed red sauce, but the sauce was over salted and contained way too much garlic, which made its taste almost bitter and caused a bit of acid reflux for several hours after the meal. The lasagne also contained a relatively tasteless riccota filling (possibly overwhelmed by the aggressively garlickly red sauce) and a very stingy layer of ground beef which was nearly undectable and, again, devoid of flavor.

Since it was Sunday, my Son ordered the meatball special, which, again was not big deal. It appeared that the red sauce was different than that used on my lasagna. If the sauce was not different, it at least must have come from a different batch, as it was not as garlicky as that on my lasagna, but, again, nothing special. The meatballs themselves were tender and moist, but not particularly flavorable. The meatball dish certainly did not live up some of the raves found on this site.

Theservice was just OK, with our waitress (who was NOT jovial or entertaining) being relatively compentent with the exception of taking an excessive amout of time ot get a simple reorder of bread. When I questioned her if she remembered our order, she said, Oh yeah. I haven't forgotten it, but (can't you see), I am busy." That's not the response I like to hear. How much effort is it to bring a plate of bread to the table, no matter how "busy" she might be?

I am disappointed to write such a relatively negative review after seeing all of the far more numerous positive ones, so I am willing to chaulk it up to a bad night, which can happen to anyone. So, I plan another visit soon to see if they can redeem themselves. If they don't, that will be our last visit!

• Visited June 2013