“Sushi, Sake, & Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mashiko

Mashiko
Ranked #271 of 4,079 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
WA
“Sushi, Sake, & Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Love the food - very good quality at a reasonable price. Sit at the bar and talk to the owner/chef. Very interesting person!

Visited June 2013

Seattle, Washington
“My favorite sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

In the midst of Alaska Junction ("the Junction") in West Seattle, is this treasure. Hajime is a young, brilliant sushi chef who operates the funkiest, funnest, tastiest sushi restaurant in Seattle. It's got an easy-going vibe, good music and, before or after, you can wander around the Junction, which has lots of little shops. Plenty of mentions in the reviews here about the food, my point is that sushi doesn't have to be intimidating, and Hajime will ensure that you enjoy yourself.

• Visited March 2013
Vashon, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mind-Blowing-Make-You-Want-To-Cry (In A Good Way) Sushi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

I recently relocated to Seattle/Vashon Island from the Twin Cities, MN, and my super-fabulous boyfriend surprised me for Mother's Day by taking me to Mashiko's. He had mentioned that it's his favorite restaurant in all of Seattle ~ a little gem that is the city's first fully sustainable sushi bar.

A small, intimate atmosphere and friendly wait staff made us feel welcome coming in from the chilly drizzle outside. Seated at a little table for two, our waiter got our orders in right away, which was great considering the busy holiday and that the place was packed. While we waited, we listened to the hum of happy conversation from the other diners around us, laughed at the banter between the sushi chefs and the people ringside at the sushi bar, and checked out the interesting array of Japanese artwork that graces the walls.

Our first course arrived and the real fun began ~ the Sunomono Salad was light and refreshing and paired nicely with the absolutely to-die-for Black Cod Kama Kasuzuke. What came next was nothing short of a sushi revelation for a gal who's had some pretty damn good sushi in Northern Cali's Bay Area. We ordered a wonderful assortment of rolls: California, Spider, Snowflake, and Red Violin. I'd never had the Snowflake (namagi, avocado, and tempura bay shrimp, coconut-fried and served warm) or the Red Violin (tuna, avocado, cilantro, and spicy garlic sauce) and was rendered speechless (unless helpless whimpers of satisfaction count as speech). The complexity and crunchiness of the Snowflake was love at first mouthful, and the exquisite simplicity of the Red Violin's tuna and cilantro was a virtual culinary moment.

Just when I thought I couldn't love my boyfriend more, he went and took me to Mashiko's ~ thanks, baby!

• Visited May 2013
“Love the Atomic Tuna”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

I don't really even like sushi and I like the rolls here. My favorite are atomic tuna and red violin.

Seattle, Washington
“The only West Seattle Japanese restaurant worth going to”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

There are many reasons why you should try Mashiko: it's Seattle's first sustainable sushi bar, the fish is as fresh as it gets, they offer authentic Japanese food for the more brave, great selection of beers and sake, and if that doesn't do it for you - go in just to sit at the sushi bar and talk to Hajime - his knowledge of sushi is worth the visit!

We've been here several times, but our favorite item off the menu is simply "Chef's Choice." You can trust the sushi chefs here to make over-the-top delicious, yet simple, rolls. If there's certain fish you don't like, be sure to mention it. If there's a roll that they make and you love, be sure to write it down, because they won't remember it the next day. Chef's choice is the best way to get the freshest ingredients and also try new flavors.

• Visited March 2013