“Nice spot in gentrifying Pioneer Square”
Review of Bar Sajor - CLOSED

Bar Sajor
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Had a great lunch here with out-of-town friends. Bar Sajor is located in an old building on a pedestrian street right off Pioneer Square. The vibe is both sophisticated and natural at the same time--all white austere shabby chic, with an open kitchen close enough to our table to observe food preparation and occasionally interact with the chefs. Big jars full of preserves are everywhere, and a large, busy wood fired oven is the primary cooking tool for nearly everything they serve.

The food matches the room: as organic and local as possible, reflective and celebratory of both Seattle and the particular abundances of the season.

We began our meal with one each of the four tartines ($8.50 ea) available as starters. The earnestness and seasonality of Bar Sajor's food mission could be no clearer: served on wooden boards, our open-faced sandwiches featured house-baked breads with toppings such as oil-cured tuna, wild mushrooms, shaved winter squash, pickled red onion, and chicken liver pate.

Next, the four of us shared two winter salads of endives and radicchio, then half an incredibly tender half roasted chicken and a large perfectly cooked rib eye steak which had been sliced in the kitchen for sharing. The platings are attractive but simple and refreshingly honest.

And this is how they mean you to eat. Like it's sister restaurant Sitka and Spruce, the food is made for a communal experience. You may, of course, order your own everything, but here you're actually encouraged to eat this way where so many restaurants, upon receiving the news of the intention to share plates, just glare.

The wine list, like at all Matt Dillon restaurants, is thoughtfully compiled with a mix of artisanal local wines and well-chosen European offerings. However, an alert to wine geeks: the wine service is pretty socialist. There's one wine glass size, period, that we'd call 'chardonnay or medium red' and if you want a big bowl for that Clos Vougeot you drug along you better bring your own.

Lunch for four, with a bubbly from Burgundy ordered from their list plus corkage for a cellar gem we carried in, ran right at $50 pp.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I went to this lovely restaurant to celebrate my birthday with my husband. I made a 545pm reservation, and this proved to be an excellent time to be at this restaurant. Our service was incredible with our server starting us off with some delicious hot tea, wonderful on a very cold night in Seattle. Our server continued to be professional and personable the whole experience, as were the other 4 or 5 additional staff members that assisted us at our table. The food was incredible, from the rustic bread with butter, the winter salad with apples and cheese curds, and my trout (deboned!), and my husband's roasted chicken. I loved my 2 cocktails with their combining of unique ingredients, and am overall pleased on all accounts with this delightful restaurant. The snow gently falling outside while the lovely jazz music played inside didn't hurt on making this an outstanding experience either!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We walked in on a Saturday evening w/no reservation and did not have our hope up. The hostess was very gracious and gave us a table but we were given a time limit, which was a generous two hours. It was plenty to have a nice dinner since the service was prompt. The wait staff was professional and friendly. The food, in general, was tasty but on the heavy side with lots of cream (except for the scallops). We had the pickled smelts served on toast, chicken liver and scallops. The chicken liver and scallops were considered "small plates" and the portion was small for the listed price. It is a very beautiful and romantic restaurant and I think it would be a lot of fun sitting at the bar. Depending on where you are seated, you can see all the action occurring in one of two open kitchens. While we were there, we saw lots of people walking out shortly after arriving presumably because no tables were available so I think making a reservation would be a good idea, at least for the weekend nights. In summary, we were satisfied with our experience but not sure if we would become "regulars" at this restaurant.

1  Thank SeattleEcc
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

Words cannot express how rude the bartender was here. After ignoring my friends and I for 20 MINUTES (in an empty restaurant) he finally came over and casually insulted us through lack of eye contact, snippy remarks and correcting our pronunciation of "Mara-SKEE-no Liqueur".

The drinks weren't anything to write home about and everything was extremely overpriced. Which, I could have overlooked had the staff not been so unhelpful and condescending. The food selection was limited but everything I tried was good.

I wouldn't recommend going here, unless you like being talked down to and ignored.

1  Thank Cassie C
Reviewed December 27, 2013

It is rare that every component of a restaurant visit rates at the top of the scale, but our lunch at Bar Sajor was at the tip top on every measure.

Our seating, bussing, serving, food, and my personal grievance - bathroom cleanliness were absolutely impeccable. The wonderful staff who interacted with us were lovely and attentive, but not intrusive. The style which Bar Sajor radiates is just perfect in my estimation - helpful, attentive, and timely.

My family enjoyed the pickled vegetables, several tartines (the liver was a bit bland) and the quail.
The breads were outstanding and did I say that every thing we ordered was so incredibly fresh?

Wish that we could have had time for dinner here, but will definitely do so on our next visit!