“Upscale, trendy, expensive, delicious”
Review of Portage Bay Cafe - MOVED

Portage Bay Cafe
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Portage Bay Cafe in Ballard is a Seattle favorite for 100% organic food for breakfast, brunch, and lunch. A great restaurant for locally sourced, 100% natural, chemical free, 100% organic breakfast, brunch and lunch. We also offer catering services around private parties, events, and wedding catering.
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The food is amazing. Pancake and waffle bar had fresh fruits and toppings. There are two sites, the one in the U district is much smaller, cozier, has more personality. The one in South Lake Union is huge, a steel and concrete loft space. Both are packed all the time. Get reservations! There are traditional dishes with a kick or a twist. I got the eggs benedict. The sause was too thin for me, I like the more thick and traditional hollandaise. A touch of spice in some of the dishes which I love. This is not your intimate brunch place but lots of fun.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

My wife and I were on vacation in Portland and we drove up to Seattle to meet her cousin for breakfast, and yes it was worth it! The dining room is on the smaller side, so it is best to have a reservation and plan to eat before 9:00 am. We had reservations for 9:00 am, arrived at 8:40 and were seated right way. Our meal took 50 minutes and as we were leaving a large line was formed, with a considerable wait time. We noticed that the line only increased as the morning turned into the afternoon. They even had Insta-Shade canopies erected outside so their patrons can wait under, which tells me this is their normal. The restaurant is very environmentally aware, and they are proud of it. They list all the farms that their product(s) come from on their recycled, soy ink menus. The food is amazing. I had the classic eggs benedict, which is the best I have ever had. My wife had the whole wheat huckleberry pancakes, and she loved that she got a trip up to the toppings bar to add fresh fruit and homemade whipping cream to her plate. the four of us ate tell it hurt, with 2 coffees including the tip for $79.79. When you are in the Seattle area, hey even Portland give this place a try, you will be talking to your friends about it Monday morning.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Really great, fresh food made to order. The farmer's hash features a changing array of fresh veggies based on what's available at the market. The scene stealer has to be any of the sweet brunch menu items - order a pancake, waffle or french toast and you get a trip to help yourself at the unlimited fruit bar. We're talking fresh, delicious, organic local fruit. And whipped cream. Definitely worth a stop by if you're in the neighborhood visiting the Ballard area.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Saw the reviews and had to try this place. My wife had the bananas foster that was amazingly delicious, and I had the ham and cheese scramble that was out of this world! You wonder what could be so special about a ham and cheese scramble?? How about the ham is house cured in molasses and smoked, and the cheese is from the famous Beechers cheese house they use their flagship cheddar !

I can't wait to go back and try their lunch selection. This will be on my list of places to eat for a long time to come!!!

Reviewed October 22, 2012

My friends and I look forward to having breakfast here at every opportunity. The service has always been excellent and the menus selections even better. There are many creative, deliciousness choices in all categories and we have never been disappointed. There is also an open buffet available with large bowls of fruits, nuts, syrups, whipped cream, and toppings etc., to add to your entrée. The restaurant's Roosevelt Way location is just as good and has outdoor dining as well. Both locations have lines on weekends unless you arrive within about a half hour of opening. Parking is a challenge at the Roosevelt Way location only.