“Brunch not to be missed”
Review of Portage Bay Cafe

Portage Bay Cafe
Ranked #66 of 4,132 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: American, Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Portage Bay Cafe is a Seattle restaurant serving 100% breakfast, brunch and lunch 7 days a week. Eat like you give a damn! is our motto. Locally sourced, organic food items. We offer catering options including private dining, corporate events, private parties, weddings and box lunches.
Detroit, Michigan
“Brunch not to be missed”
Reviewed August 16, 2014 via mobile

Four of us were so happy with our brunch today. The French toast was so sweet and delicious it didn't even need the fruit and assorted toppings offered at the breakfast bar - but I indulged anyway. Pancakes were also delicious, as were the Benedict and omelet. Friendly, bright place with lots of happy faces.

Visited August 2014

• Korean first
Portland, Maine
“If only there was better parking!”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

We are occasional travelers to the Seattle area, and we have a family member with celiac disease. We returned to PBC after finding it 2 years ago. Our daughter feels like she can have nearly anything she wants (and this year it was strawberry rhubarb french toast). It was delicious, as were my migas. Service is prompt but not pushy, and coffee is strong. The downside: I circled the block 5 times before finding a parking spot.

Visited July 2014
Louisville, Kentucky
“Brunch heaven”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

The all-organic, locally sourced ingredients at Portage Bay Cafe just taste like love. For breakfast, the meals (and the delicious toppings bar) were big enough for the hubs and I to split. It's packed and noisy, but the service was great despite the racket.

Visited July 2014
Hampton, Virginia
“Sunday Brunch Was Great!”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Four of us had breakfast (brunch) here and enjoyed a wonderful meal on the outdoor patio on a warm, sunny Seattle day. We ate at the Roosevelt Way location, the original of the three Portage Bay Café sites, which has been around for about 15 years. It is open for breakfast and lunch.

My brother and I each had a version of the Farmer’s Hash which included sautéed potatoes, onions, sliced carrots, and other fresh vegetables that appeared to be broccolini, cauliflower, etc. The dish comes with a choice of meats – my brother had corned beef and I had wild caught smoked salmon. The whole dish was covered with scrambled eggs and served with thick toast, butter and strawberry jam. My sister-in-law had a Mushroom Benedict, one of several different types of Benedicts on the menu. My wife had the French toast. The French Toast was made with three huge, two inch thick slices of bread and included a trip to the fresh fruit bar (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, et. al., and fresh whipped cream). [Gluten free was available for an additional charge.] Everyone pronounced their meals delicious and filling. We brought home one of the giant pieces of French toast which was still tasty for breakfast the next day.

Service was excellent and is accomplished by a variety of staff. The server who takes your order may not be the one who brings your meal to your table, keeps your coffee topped off, etc. It worked well, we enjoyed our meals, and did not feel rushed. We arrived at 1 pm for our reserved table and were seated promptly in spite of the line in front of the restaurant. Our entrées were not cheap, but priced reasonably ranging from $11.50 to $15.50.

We don’t get to Seattle often, but certainly consider this establishment worth a return visit anytime.

• Visited July 2014
houston
“Great breakfast. Right next to the Locks.”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We came here for lunch last Sunday but breakfast/brunch was the only menu available. I had the PORTAGE BAY BREAKFAST SANDWICH which was tasty but not balanced (the ingredients weren't evenly distributed on the sandwich i.e. the shallot tomato jam was only on one corner and the bacon was on one half). Once I re-arranged the sandwich, it was delicious. My husband had the SMOKED SALMON BENEDICT. He said it was very good except the muffin wasn't toasted and was somewhat doughy. The fresh-squeezed oj was delicious.

• Visited July 2014

Been to Portage Bay Cafe? Share your experiences!