“Great view”

Edmonton, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great view”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I chose the Great Wheel as the location for my proposal to my girlfriend on our weekend away in Seattle. We got very lucky in that the weather was relatively nice (for Seattle, in November).
I had originally bought tickets online, hoping that there wouldn't be much of a line & we might get our own gondola without having to pay a fortune for the VIP upgrade but that didn't work out so well.
I had contacted the Great Wheel months prior to the weekend to ask their thoughts on the best way to go about this proposal, and the email I got back initially was quite helpful in some ways. However, the person they told me to contact with further questions wasn't overly helpful so it was pretty much a wash in the customer service department.
When we arrived there was a line so I ended up having to stand in the ticket line to upgrade our tickets to the VIP package (it was a calculated risk on my part, no fault of theirs). I had no choice but to get the upgrade, as I wanted to be alone with her when I asked the question & they can't/won't guarantee you your own gondola no matter the situation, without you paying for the upgrade (unless there's no line, and even at that they won't guarantee it).
The VIP upgrade ended up costing us an extra $85 (on top of the normal two ticket prices), and in my opinion was completely not worth it on it's own merits. The upgrade buys you a pass to the front of the line (on our day this would have only been 20-30 min wait), they give you some folding chairs to sit on while you wait (a nice touch, but it's a bit awkward sitting in front of the line full of people if you aren't fond of attention), T-shirts, and then the black gondola with the clear floor. I admit the gondola was probably substantially more comfortable than the normal ones, as it had leather covered bucket seats compared to the normal bench seats, but I don't think any of that justifies the crazy expense for such a short ride. Had I not wanted it to be someplace memorable yet where we could be alone, I would never have bought the upgrade for what amounted to about a 10 minute ride. We enjoyed our time on the wheel, however brief it was (we went around once to load everyone, once without stopping & once to unload everyone, it was quick), and the view was fantastic. I have to dock a few points for the hit & miss customer service (the people loading the ride were great, the lady in the ticket booth was a bit surly, and then the contact with their customer service team I mentioned earlier), and for the lack of value for the VIP upgrade but discounting that this would be a fun way to spend an hour or two once in your life. My only two bits of advice are don't expect much help from them in planning any special events & don't waste your money on the upgrade unless you really want to be alone.

1 Thank tdp606

20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Excellent ride”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We rode the wheel at night, and found it to be a very calming and fun ride. We waited maybe 10 minutes in line. Each gondola has heat and a/c and the benches were comfortable. We enjoyed the view and the attendants were friendly and helpful. All in all a very good experience!

Seattle
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“An amazingly boring ride offering unremarkable views”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

After waiting in line over an hour just to get tickets and then another hour to be seated, I was expecting a bit more.

I went at night and might have been impressed by the view of West Seattle were it not for the grime covering the glass exterior of my ferris wheel car. The glass also reflected the interior of the car, making it difficult to see out at all, let alone snap pictures of the view.

The ride is jerky, long (20 min or so, most of which is spent stationary) and never exciting, everyone on board seemed to be ready to get off about half way through.

I would never recommend the Great Wheel to anyone. If you're looking for views, the Columbia Tower view deck or Space Needle are far better options. If you do go, set aside at least an hour and a half to get tickets and board the wheel. There is a VIP car ($100 for two people, I believe) with a glass bottom and colorful LED lights.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Lael_Lael
Vancouver
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Looked like a lot of fun”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I didn't ride it but took lots of photos, especially at night. The Miners Landing, Pier 57 are is lots of fun to browse around with some interesting shops and excellent restaurants.

1 Thank wynnwrite
Salem, Oregon
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“better at night”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

it's kinda expensive but if you are there and never have done it then you really should spend the money and do it.