Seattle Architecture Foundation

Very good tour of Pioneer Square

Reviewed June 25, 2017
KweqSmanit
Seattle, Washington

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 11, 2018

Steve, Aaron, and Nancy took us on an adventure through South Lake Union. The passion that each of them has for this came shining through; that's what really made it so fascinating. History was discussed when it mattered, which is often. They answered both of these questions: What are we looking at? and Why is it here? By the end of the tour, all I wanted to do was sign up for another one.

1  Thank r-o-n-g-a-r
Reviewed June 25, 2017

I thought that this tour did an excellent job of showing the transformation process of Pioneer Square by pointing out the differences in buildings and styles of the buildings.

We went around the entire Pioneer Square area and saw many different styles and also many locations and focal points of interest.

I thought that the tour guide was knowledgeable but also he lacked the "pizzazz" of other tour guides which I have seen and experienced, maybe he needs to be a bit more engaging.

It is about two hours in length and does not include lunch, it is a slow and calm pace for thinking and exploring a few places on your own if you wish at each individual place.

There were a surprising number of locals on this tour as well.

Reviewed March 23, 2017

We went on the Diamonds & Gold: The Art Deco Skyscraper Northwest Style tour on a rainy Saturday morning. I can not recommend it highly enough or say enough good things about it
We were taught how to recognize building styles, walked to various locations to view lobbies and were also given history lessons on all that was seen.
My only disappointment was we didn't have the time to take more tours with this organization while we were in Seattle.
Definitely make time to learn about the city in a new way.

1  Thank travelgalAvon
Reviewed November 20, 2016

We enjoyed the Hidden Places & Public Spaces tour on Nov. 12, 2016 with Diana.
Diana was organized, pleasant, and very informative. She showed us many public spaces that buildings are required to share with the public. This incentive program began in 1966. Some are kept secret as much as possible, others display a Leaf Logo that welcomes the public.
We loved the outdoor artwork we saw along the way. She worked hard to alter her tour to avoid construction and kept us out of the wind as much as possible. (Wow, it was windy!)
I especially loved seeing the Freeway Park! Recently a PBS special documentary (by Geoffrey Baer of Chicago) focused on the 10 Parks That Changed America. New York had two on the list, Chicago one, and Seattle had two! Now I have seen both in Seattle: Freeway Park and Gas Works Park.
My husband and I live near Chicago and whenever we visit our son we always try to fit in a SAF tour. Our son has lived in Seattle for 5 years and his girlfriend is a native. They also learned things they didn't know about the downtown area and want to take more tours. We love Seattle! Thank you Diana!

Reviewed November 1, 2016

The tour guide did a fabulous job describing the buildings and providing historical background. The buildings are fabulous and you go into many of them. If you love architecture the you will definitely enjoy this tour. Very much recommended.

Reviewed September 11, 2016 via mobile

A fascinating tour, with hidden beauties we never knew were here. The tour gave us a new appreciation for the wonderful buildings we would usually walk right by.

Reviewed May 25, 2016

I love visiting other cities and taking in the diversity of art and architecture. Not sure how I missed that there are an assortment of walking tours in Seattle. You can focus on styles of architecture, certain parts of town, or eco-friendly details in the buildings around town. It's a lovely way to get to know our city a little better!

Reviewed October 10, 2015 via mobile

I think this is a highly underrated activity in Seattle -- I found out about it through Groupon of all places, where I managed to get a tour at half price. I went on the Hidden Spaces, Public Spaces tour. There were five of us and two volunteer tour guides, so the group felt quite intimate. This was important because it was raining throughout the tour, and if the group size had been bigger, we wouldn't have been able to share the shelter we found!

Charlie and Diana (? I hope I got the names right) took us through approximately 12-15 sites in downtown Seattle, where we saw tranquil public spaces that were largely under-utilised as they were rather difficult to spot (for the most part) for the casual passer-by. We learned a little about zoning regulations and architectural styles as well.

I've lived in Seattle for a year now and never found the downtown area attractive. But having gone on this tour I now think its charms need to be uncovered over time. I'm going on another tour with the a Seattle Architecture Foundation before I leave... Full-price tickets are only 15$ if you purchase them in advance!

1  Thank Po Chin T
Reviewed September 29, 2015

We have taken two tours through the Seattle Architecture Foundation: Diamonds & Gold: The Art Deco Skyscraper Northwest Style and Hidden Spaces /Public Places. Both had a wealth of information and insight into historical and contemporary Seattle. The tours move at a comfortable pace and make frequent stops. The guides are well-informed and easy to understand. I recommend the Seattle Architecture tours to anyone who wants to have an enjoyable and interesting tour. Tours are about 2 hours long.

Reviewed September 22, 2015

Spend a couple of hours walking the city with an enthusiastic and friendly volunteer tour guide; and you, too, can learn the architectural history of several noteworthy examples of the steel, glass, and concrete structures towering over the streets of Seattle.