“Oh, so wonderful and a spectacle as well!”
Review of Altura Restaurant

Altura Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Altura Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 4,395 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: BROADWAY E & ROY ST
Transit: Stops for bus lines 9, 49 and 60 within one block.
Description: Altura restaurant applies the focus of ingredient-driven Italian cooking to the natural bounty of the Pacific Northwest. Our chefs work tirelessly each day to highlight the most exciting seasonal products. Chef Nathan Lockwood's tasting menu is at the heart of the Altura approach to dining. With a focus on wild foraged products, pristine Puget Sound seafood and locally raised heirloom meats and vegetables, our tasting menu exemplifies who we are. Expect to spend between two and three hours enjoying ten to fifteen courses of our most inspired dishes. For a less structured approach, diners are welcome to design their own experience by choosing three or more courses from our traditional menu. Our team of Sommeliers is always on hand to design a unique flight of paired wines or help you find the perfect bottle to highlight your experience. We invite you to join us on Capitol Hill to celebrate seasonal cuisine, exceptional wine and gracious service.
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We went to Altura tonight for my birthday dinner...and oh my! Seattle has many wonderful restaurants and many venerable chefs. Nathan Lockwood is now my favorite! This tiny restaurant was spectacular, not only with its menu, but the careful and captivating presentation of its cuisine--not precious, but so tasteful. The feature of this restaurant (which has a small capacity of 32 tables) is its long bar (food counter), where you can sit and look upon the preparation of the many great small plate items, entrees and other delicacies on its menu. It is truly entertaining, for foodies and non foodies alike.

1  Thank Melisse B

Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at Altura. We sat at the counter so we could watch the chefs at work and each selected the Chef's tasting menu which consisted of 6 courses.
The entire meal was unbelievable. The chefs were kind enough to mix up our dishes so we each had different dishes and could taste each other's. We had panna cotta with roe and shaved fennel; Shigoku oyster with blood orange foam and greens; Albacore crudo, blood orange, calbrian chilies black olive and beets; Wagyu beef carpaccio, white truffle infused quail egg and barley crisp; Risotto mantecato Guanciale, pumpkin, crispy kale parmesan; Crispy veal sweetbreads, black garlic, braised oxtail and white truffle popcorn; Pappardelle, spicy calabrian style ragu of braised tripe and beef; Hand cut tajarin wild boar ragu, crispy sage; Potato agnolotti, housemade cotechino sausage, shaved perigord black truffle; Snake River Farms flat iron steak, parsnnip puree, celery confit, farro, Washington truffle; Potato crusted black cod, leeks, dungeness, mussels formato, meyer lemon; Foie gras seared and chilled, pineapple quince, huckleberries, fennel, vinsanto; Frozen Boston cream, blood orange, Roasted pear with pieces of meringue; Bourbon caramel semifreddo, hazelnut meringue cookies and tuiles. Then to top it off they served us little espresso cups with Roman style aerated hot chocolate over mascarpone gelato.
As I said, they were very kind to mix up our meals so we tasted practically everything on the menu.
I absolutely recommend Altura for anyone who wants to experience the ultimate in dining.

1  Thank Cassy M
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Although my experience at Altura was more than 5 months ago, I'm new to Tripadvisor but wanted to be sure I got in this review of Altura because it was so amazing. The menu is prixe fixe, with 3, 4, 5 course meal options and a chef tasting menu option. But you can choose any meal as part of the course so this style of menu selection is by no means constricting. The servers are very knowledgable about the food and its preparation and ever so helpful in selecting a dish that may contain ingredients you are unfamiliar with. EVERY SINGLE DISH IS AMAZING! I chose the 4-course option and I did not feel overly-stuffed. A friend chose the wine for the table so I can't speak to the wine selection personally, but she is a wine connoisseur and she was impressed by the wine list. I go to Seattle for work every August and I am already inquiring into making a reservation that can hold a large group because I so want all of my coworkers to experience Altura.

1  Thank Chelle2006
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had a wonderful dinner here on Fri, Jan 17, 2014. We sat at the counter and thoroughly enjoyed the cooking show along with the food. One of us had the truffle tasting menu with wine pairing. We also went with the four choice menu with wine pairing. Everything was quite good. The wines selected by the sommelier paired nicely with each course. By the time we finished we both felt quite full. Portion sizes, depending on course, were more than adequate and in a few instances quite large. This is an expensive experience, but great for a splurge.

2  Thank ptcvineyard
Reviewed January 20, 2014

If I had dined alone here, I would have likely ranked Altura "excellent," just for the marvelous food, but my two companions had comments that required me to go down a notch. My 4-course meal was superb -- chicory salad; risotto with pumpkin, crispy kale and Parmesan; potato-crusted black cod with leeks, Dungeness crab and mussels; and chocolate pistachio crostata. The flavors and textures proved to be sublime and combined in all my selections to make this the best meal I've had as a frequent diner in Seattle.

The high prices charged here, however, mean high expectations for the total dining experience and these sometimes were not met. One companion, for example, had to keep asking for the sommelier to come to the table. Once he came and took our order, another 10 minutes passed before he returned to say the restaurant was out of that wine. This same companion paid a supplemental $27 for the winter black Perigord truffles, which included boar ragu. Instead of a hearty mixture, the ragu was far too light.

Though I found the food portions to be adequate, my other companion was dismayed when his pasta dish arrived with just three ravioli. He considered the combination of braised veal, wild mushrooms, Parmesan and artichokes to be "delicious" but is still talking about the tiny offering. He was disappointed in his steelhead entree because of its lack of flavor.

We all became a bit edgy, waiting 30 minutes for our second course to arrive. Of course we did not come for fast food, but we did not anticipate a half-hour wait between these two courses.

The restaurant is small with most tables crammed together. Luckily, we got seated in an area at the front, where the three tables had adequate space around them for comfortable dining. There is a narrow aisle (think airline Economy class) between the majority of tables and the seats at the counter, where diners can watch food preparation.

4  Thank Rumples