“We had a good idea what to expect.....loved the experience”
Review of Panama Hotel

Panama Hotel
Ranked #88 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Melbourne, Australia
“We had a good idea what to expect.....loved the experience”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

We arrived at Seattle airport and travelled by train into Downtown. As we had only one day in Seattle we wanted location but did not want to outlay too much to have a bed for the night. We had an early Amtrak train to catch the next day and it was the easiest stroll to the station.
The cost of the the Panama given its location is excellent value given the high average prices commanded by Seattle hotels. We had read previous reviews so we had a very good idea of what to expect in terms of basics such bed size, room size, toilet size and shower pressure street noise. However in saying that I was expecting these and therefore I was not unpleasantly surprised. This is a hotel proudly from earlier days and that is the experience which we liked regardless of the factors mentioned above.
There is a serious set of stairs to haul ones luggage up but this too is just part of the experience. Shout yourself a couple of well earned drinks with the money that you have saved by staying at the Panama
The history of this hotel is worth the experience.
The staff should be acknowledged for their very genuine warmth and willingness to assist. We arrived quite early and this did not faze them at all. It does make you appreciate the creature comforts that we have compared to yesteryear.Cleanliness was of a very high standard too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gary T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
El Cerrito, California
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I returned from travels overseas and had reserved a room here. A nice surprise. Lots of genuine old construction and decor. A living, working, museum hotel.

The high springy bed with new comforter and pillows was very comfy. The place was very quiet. I slept well. A bath in a big lion-claw-foot-tub the next morning repaired me nicely (I asked permission to use the women's upstairs). The bathrooms are shared down the hallway, but was not a problem (personal sink in room). Complementary tea/coffee and pastry served at street level in the museum like cafe. Downtown shopping only three stops away on the nearby light rail.

This place is unique and idiosyncratic. If you enjoy novel experiences, you may like this. The staff were all courteous and willing to help. I recommend.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank owen G
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Walking into the hotel room was like walking into 1940s film noir starring Bogart or Mitchum. Sink in the room, brass bed, free-standing armoire. I was at the hotel off-season and seemed to be the only guest; that meant I got two separate unofficial tours of the hotel, and given a great deal of its history, which it fascinating. The bathroom and shower were down the hall from my room--when the hotel is crowded, not sure how much of a joy that would be... The tea room attached to the hotel is amazing. It is a stone's throw from the train--easy to get to airport. This is not a place for someone looking for a spa, a porter, or a Sheraton-like experience. But if you want a comfortable and very interesting place to stay, the Panama is for you. I would to the hotel recommend a different system for taking credit card and personal information, however...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank ericelshtain
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 25, 2014

By far the worst hotel I've even been to: the smell of the place is awful, the room has old furniture even for my granny and the personnel seems not experienced. I had to provide them the paper where to print my credit card receipt! On top of this, the price is not too low: 115 USD per night for single room no en suite. Stay away from it!!!
I would also pay only cash since you have to write down your credit card details in a piece of paper which is used God knows how.

Room Tip: Stay away!!!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Enricocd

Travelers are raving about these Seattle hotels

Bloomington, Indiana
Reviewed February 8, 2014

My mom and I stayed here for my 18th birthday, and it was lovely. I wanted an interesting hotel, with a back-story, and she didn't want anything too bed-and-breakfast-y, so we decided on this one. Jan was welcoming and utterly sweet, Mocha (I think that was her cat's name; I remember it was coffee-related) was a purrfect darling (haha), and the rooms were lovely. There was unique art, and every piece of furniture had its own story. Also, the tea and scones in the cafe were great. My one complaint would be that the internet was kinda slow, so I'd recommend making sure your phone has plenty of data before coming here. That said, do not let that deter you! This hotel is a fascinating piece of history and a really nice place to stay.

Room Tip: All the rooms are decorated uniquely, so if there are multiple available to choose from when you che...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Uhkaynuh
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I stayed here with my two kids this summer they where not sure about the place at first. Its a super funky Old hotel with ton of history. The coffee/tea shop downstairs is beautiful the staff where great. The bathrooms were super clean. We ended up staying going and heading home from our train trip. Short walking distance to train station. This is a funky place to stay if your looking for some where diffrent. We cant wait to stay again!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TerriB B
Stockton, California
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Built by Japanese immigrants in the early 20th century, the Panama Hotel was a prime location in Seattle's old Japantown. When the U.S. government, in the hysteria following Pearl Harbor, "relocated" the resident Japanese, both aliens and U.S. citizens, the hotel became a way station en route to concentration camps far removed from the west coast. Trunks and other belongings left by the refugees are still in the basement of the hotel, reminders of one of the most disgraceful and tragic episodes in United States history. The hotel is unique, and a stay is most interesting. Read "Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet", a novel in which the hotel plays a part. No en suite facilities, no A/C, no television, no telephones. But our room and the linens were clean, there is a basin in the room, and the toilet and bath were just outside the hall door. No elevators. Perhaps the best attraction of the hotel is the tea and coffee house, reviewed separately.

Room Tip: The view on the front is probably the best. Take note: the reception on the first floor is up two fl...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family