“A very nice, clean hotel.”

The Fairmont Olympic Seattle
Ranked #14 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
austin
“A very nice, clean hotel.”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I have to give this hotel a high rating. The location is good and although expensive, we found that the service was excellent.

The front desk was helpful and check-in was quick. Our room was very clean and the beds very comfortable. The maids were nice and made sure the room looked nice every day. The rooms are actually very large and the bathroom was nice, although, our room seemed to have a leak from the toilet. There was plenty of mirror space and plenty of closet space and a safe.

The rooms are designed to be modern, they are antique, but, the strange thing is they are cheerful and not dingy so although they are not modern, you do not feel like you are in some dusty old hotel.

We did have a problem one night and had to call security who, although too slow to investigate, did eventually get up to the room next to ours and told the loud idiots to calm down. I actually had to call twice to get something done. This actually affects my rating and would lead me to give the hotel a rating of 3 stars.

The hotel has a nice lounge and an average bar. I was not impressed with the bartender or his drinks. Again, this would hurt the rating.

I did have a concern about safety because the windows appeared to be glass. We had children in the room and they climbed up to the ledge of the window and put their hands on the window. We grabbed them but when I touched the window, it seemed fragile and with little effort they could be pushed out. I do not know, it just seemed this way and it was scary. I recommend they windows and frames be reinforced.

The hotel has a restaurant, Shuckers, which provides excellent service. Children staying at the hotel eat for free. Room service from Shuckers is also excellent.

The hotel is in walking distance to many attractions and stores. They also have a courtesy driver to take you to close attractions.

Convention facilities are good, the rooms are comfortable, and what was really excellent was the staff. The food being served was fancy smancy and the staff on more than one occasion asked if they could get something else for the children.

My rating would be three stars due to the problems, but, because of the staff going out of their way for the children, and the clean rooms, I have to give the hotel four stars.

Room Tip: The higher up the quieter the street noise.
1 Thank tripnexus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is one of the nicest hotels I've ever been to. I have stayed here for 46 nights and every single person in this hotel has worked tirelessly to provide excellent service. There is nothing I could say that would be bad about the hotel. The only thing I would like to see changed is their carpet as it is getting older. Other than that, there is nothing else that can be improved. Excellent and friendly staff, beautiful rooms, huge washrooms and I love their amenities. Thank you so very much Fairmont Olympic Seattle for helping me make some great memories in your hotel for life.

The review above was for the hotel itself and the rooms. However, regarding the restaurants, I dined in both at the Georgian and Shuckers and they were both disappointing. The Georgian had extremely bad service. The Maitre De didn't even come once during our meal to check on us and see if we liked the food. I hope they can improve on this and I can have better service next time.

1 Thank prespri
Reviewed December 5, 2013

I travel to Seattle most weeks of the year and always stay downtown. This week, I stayed at the Fairmont and was disappointed. The rooms are in serious need of a remodel. Decorations are so far out of date it's surprising. Bathroom seems downright old. Air vents are behind the curtains, so you can choose either a dark room or comfortable temperatures. If you opt for comfortable temperatures, you only have vertical blinds partially cover the light. Not the typical Fairmont experience.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Miami, Florida
Reviewed December 3, 2013

Our Room was great, large and well appointed. The HVAC was inconsistent and we balanced by opening windows to warm or cool.
Room Service was top notch. Lunch in the grill downstairs was fun and a nice selection of wines by the glass. The room was a clothier in the early part of the centuiy and our server had good insight to the history.
Location is tops....close to the things we were doing in Seattle. Car and Driver were available and very handy for some tours. Car rental was handled in the lobby, and the associate managed to come up with a car at a very busy time.
Overall a very nice stay.

Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Not an internet geek at all but getting kicked off 20 times a day is a bit much. Major cash grab. Have stayed at other fairmonts and haven't seen this. Shuckers is very average seafood restaurant as well. Ate there, overcooked shrimp and average service. Location is nice and rooms are pretty good to be fair. Guess thats why its on hotwire for cheap.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
FairmontOlympicSEA, General Manager at The Fairmont Olympic Seattle, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for being our guest and for taking the time to share your feedback. I truly appreciate the time you took to detail your concerns.

Please accept my personal apologies for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay regarding Wi-Fi. I assure you that your experience is not the standard to which we aspire, nor which our guests have come to expect. I hope that you reported the issue during your stay and that the situation was rectified.

Guest feedback is extremely important to us as we constantly review our practices to ensure that we offer our valued guests consistent, superior service. I would appreciate it if you would contact us so that we may clarify your specific issues and find a solution. You may contact me directly at dennis.clarkgm@fairmont.com. I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,
Dennis Clark
Saint Helens, Oregon
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We are frequent visitors to Seattle, and usually stay at the Grand Hyatt which is close to the Paramount theatre. This weekend my 9 year old daughter and I had tickets for "Oliver" at the 5th Avenue theatre, and knowing that Seattle weather can be on the damp side, I decided to find a hotel closer to the 5th.

From the moment we walked in we were wowed. The decorations for Christmas were amazing, there seemed to be staff everywhere wishing us a good morning, opening a door, or just being helpful. Check in was seamless, they did not have our room ready, since it was only 11 am, but told us were would be on an upper floor as requested and would call when the room was ready. They whisked away our bags and off we went to lunch and the show.

We enjoyed the show and then came back across the street to see if our room was ready, because by now it was 4:30 pm and I had not received a call. The lady at the desk said that they had a note we were at the matinee and did not want to ring us and disturb anything. How thoughtful! We were given our keys and up we went to our 10th floor corner room, our bags were delivered about 10 minutes later. Very nice!

The room was perfectly suited for the two of us. It was very clean and well maintained. Some very nice touches I noted: a lavender sachet in the closet, a wonderful charging station on the bedside table with plugs and usb ports, plush robes and slippers, a lint remover, an umbrella, Keurig coffee maker and a kettle with selection of teas and k-cups, wonderful soaps and other toiletries, and a real hairdryer. Oh, and my daughter was pleased that Disney channel was included in the t.v. channels, which is not always the case!!

My daughter and I visited the pool area, and were especially pleased that the pool is not kept 2 degrees above freezing. It was nice and warm, the employee said 85 degrees, but I venture to say it may have been a degree or two warmer than that. Off the pool was a top notch fitness area, locker rooms with full showers, additional toiletries, even flip flops to borrow should you need to, and a swimsuit spin dryer.

This morning we ordered in-room dining, it arrived about 20 minutes after I called--which was probably a busy time ~9 am on a Sunday. Everything was fresh and hot, and the tip for the delivery is included in the charges, I did tip our server a pinch more because he was just so polite and on-top of things.

I can think of only 3 real negatives to the trip--because we were in a corner room, we had 3 sets of windows, the windows have a blind, a sheer, and a heavy drape. Even closing all the parts, it was hard to close the drape perfectly to block out all light... we ended up waking earlier than we planned because of this. However, at night, the room was pitch black, so a small nightlight would have been nice for the bathroom, we got by but there was some stumbling in the dark! The last was the parking situation. I did not valet, and was under the impression that overnight parking was $37 for self-park. Apparently, that is for 24 hours only. We were there 25 hours, and the charge was $50! I will inquire before our next trip, because I believe valet is $47 a night, and I do wonder if I would have been charged more than $47 had we used a valet. I suspect not, and that next time we will take advantage of that service.

Overall an absolutely wonderful stay, I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank kierste
Calgary
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Was there for dinner and the food was just average. Not the best food. But service was great. We had to return one of the plates since the food was just way too salty. For this type of restaurant, disappointed with the food.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family