WINNER WONDERLAND

The Fairmont Olympic Seattle
Ranked #19 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Juneau, Alaska
“Love Affair With Fairmont is Over”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

As much as I hate to say it my long time love affair with The Fairmont Olympic is over. I've really loved this beautiful historic hotel since the first time I stayed here, but after my last trip, we are breaking up. I had a room on the 2nd floor facing the street. It was so noisy it was unbearable. I went to the front desk in the morning and left a hand written note personally addressed to the guest relations manager. I left a business card and a cell phone number where I could be contacted. No one bothered to contact me. For my next trip, I'll choose a hotel with more concern for guest satisfaction.

I will say breakfast at the Georgian was delicious and the pool/spa are was fantastic (especially Dennise).

Room Tip: Choose a courtyard room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FromAlaska
FairmontOlympic, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Olympic Seattle, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear FromAlaska,
Thank you for taking time to write to us about your experience. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed in the service-- something we take great pride in. We did want to note that we are in the process of replacing all of our guest room windows-- the source of the majority of the street noise. As part of our effort to save energy and operate an eco frienly hotel, we are in the process of replacing our guest room windows with insulated triple panes. Please feel free to email me about your other concerns- kristin.gladfelter@fairmont.com and I will ensure that they are addressed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at the Faimont in Seattle. I reaaly liked the stuff and the way they treated me. The restaurant was very good, everybody was very helpfull. The frontdesk desk was fast and effcient and the hostess Donna at the Georgian was very nice.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've stayed here now on quite a number of occasions so am now in a position to give a detailed review. First the bad news. The front check in staff while polite and businesslike are much too cool to be truly welcoming. They always seem to spend more time verifying my identity than welcoming me to the hotel or trying to ensure my needs were met. During my last recent visit, they didn't explain the details/exceptions/features of my special package deal which let to problems later with the bill when there was confusion over a food and beverage charge. I'm a Premier Member of the Fairmont President's Club but not once has this ever been acknowledged by the front desk despite multiple stays here. No upgrades have ever been offered either. No effort is made to ask if I have a preference for a particular floor or room type. This has been a consistent pattern no matter who the front desk clerk is. Let's just say that when the US Homeland Security Border Guard at the Canadian/US border gave me a warmer welcome during my last trip down to the Seattle, you need to work on your approach to customers. Maybe the infamous "Seattle Freeze" permeates through the walls of the Olympic into the elegant lobby?

Fortunately, the chilly front desk is always countered by the excellent, superb housekeeping staff here. Consistently, during multiple visits they ensure the rooms are cleaned to the highest standards and their turn down service is excellent. The maid came around with complimentary water, drew the drapes and asked if she could do anything to make my stay better. The cleaning staff is also very warm and friendly. They seem mainly to be Hispanic and Asian-American immigrants and always are very friendly and efficient. This Fairmont gets top marks for housekeeping compared even to other Fairmonts which are usually pretty good. Great work!

The room service waiters are also extremely polite, warm and efficient as well. The food quality was excellent.

Lunch at Shuckers was also very good and consistently so. The Georgian Room is a lovely dining room although the breakfast was good but not amazing.

The rooms are usually quite spacious but vary considerably in terms of lay out and style. It would be nice for a better explanation in terms of the room layout at booking or at check-in. Even within room categories, it seems the lay outs vary quite considerably and the photos on the website reservation area don't show all of the lay outs. The elegant lobby is grand and the bar there has very good drinks. The fitness room is great.

The bill was problematic. The 20% special discount for my package was not applied to room service but this wasn't explained at check-in. When I pointed that out to the front desk clerk upon check out, I was told that the discount doesn't apply to room service but this exception was never explained and the Georgian Room was shut down the evening so I ordered the room service. Again, no effort was made to inquire about that or apologize when I brought that up. Instead, the clerk went on the defensive.

Later that day after I returned home, I brought this problem up with the front desk manager by phone and he politely reversed the charge and apologized.

All in all, excellent except for the "vibe" of the front desk. I should also say that if the manager hadn't dealt with the bill issue correctly, the "five star" rating would have been lost.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank guest1420
FairmontOlympic, Guest Relations Manager at The Fairmont Olympic Seattle, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to say that your experience with the front desk was less than satisfactory. May I ask that you contact me offline to ensure that we have your Fairmont President's Club profile up to date to ensure our information is up to date and accurate. My email is kristin.gladfelter@fairmont.com.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Great Hotel! I travel a lot and it takes a bit to impress me. The hotel could do with a few upgrades in decor however everything was super clean and well maintained. The staff are very friendly and the hotel is very centrally located to all tourist attractions, restaurants and shopping. I hired a car while visiting and it's really easy to access the freeway from the hotel. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit to Seattle.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank AJ_Traveller2010
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Everything was perfect. Very good service, everyone was more than helpful. We had a large, beautiful room. The breakfast was the best we ever had, everything was fresh and of best quality. The training room and swimmingpool had everything we needed and were very luxerious. I know were to stay the next time I go back to Seattle. The hotel is situated in the centre of the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Larseninger
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a great hotel. My husband and I arrived a few days before his scheduled conference. The staff was very accomodating by allowing us to stay in the same room the entire time. The room are beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. Located just a short walk from Pikes Market Place, and very close to excellent restaurants.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank KYWnVB
Pacific NW, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We got a great rate by enrolling for free in the Fairmont President's Club. Our room was nicely appointed and quiet, with a super comfy queen bed attached to a cozy living room, separated by French doors. The living area and bedroom both had large flat-screen TVs. We loved the free slippers to go with the robes, the phone in the large mostly marble bathroom, and the complimentary extras we requested: CD/radio, ice bucket, and personal pillow choices, all waiting in our room upon arrival. A lovely surprise was the complimentary FRESH STRAWBERRIES DIPPED IN CHOCOLATE from the manager for our anniversary!

We took advantage of the free shoe polishing service, enjoyed the great little pool, and were impressed by the quality of the serving pieces, such as the heavy silver teapot, flatware & salt shakers. The holiday decorations were beyond fabulous. The room service was prompt and delicious. The overall attention to detail was superb. We hope to make this an annual tradition. Next month, we'll try the spa and restaurants in the hotel, and go to the famous 5th Ave Theater just around the corner.

If you're looking for a great view, this is not the place, but for traditional excellence, you'll be very satisfied. One caveat: there were no subtitles available on the paid in-room movies for those who are hearing-impaired.

Room Tip: Enroll in the President's Club to get emails with great rates specials.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends