“Old World”

The Fairmont Olympic Seattle
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Lovely hotel reminiscent of another era. Service was good for the most part - we were leaving on a cruise the following day and we asked to borrow a stapler so we could attach our luggage tags to our luggage and were required to exchange our drivers license in exchange for the stapler. Not good PR for a top hotel! We were told they had lost too many staplers! Our suite was very nice with a partial waterfront view, comfortable king bed and nice sitting area with french doors separating the bedroom and sitting area. Nice bathrooms with quality anemities Food was very good.

1  Thank funsandiego
Write a ReviewReviews (3,156)

Reviewed September 1, 2011

This was my third stay at the Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle and I'll be returning in a few months. The hotel is very well situated in downtown Seattle with easy access to all the sights and the interstate. Overall, this hotel is great because of the staff - they are always kinds, courteous and very helpful. The staff who greet you at the front door/front drive are extremely kind and helpfully. The staff at the reception desk have always been very pleasant and quick to process your check-in. I've never had to wait long for assistance. Without requesting it, I've been upgraded a few times to a larger room. The lobby is a comfortable space that is flexible enough to work as a quick (business) meeting place or just a casual rendez-vous. I recommend that people look into the Fairmont member (President membership?). Even if you reserve through an alternative site such as a hotels.com (which usually always has a great deal for this hotel), you can use your membership to access free internet (a cost savings of $15/day!). Although if you book using the alternative site, you cannot collect points using your membership card. I don't care too much about the points; I mostly join these memberships for the savings on things like internet and breakfast.

The hotel has always been quiet; I don't hear noise from the street or from the hallway. The rooms tend to be large compared with other hotels (and especially compared to hotels in the North East). Although the decor may need a little refresher, the rooms are well appointed with everything you need (minus a coffee machine, which you can request be sent to your room). All toiletries are provided for, including a hair dried and iron. A safe and a mini fridge/bar are also included.

The last time I stayed at the hotel, I had a delicious meal at the restaurant Zoe; it was delicious but too rich. At 2am, I called the front desk to ask if they had anything for a sour tummy. A few minutes later, someone brought to my room a small cloth bag containing a box of medication. How fancy! Very swift and very discreet. This last time, I forget some toiletries but all the shops were closed so I went to reception where the have a basket of products available for purchase. It was overly-priced, but that is the cost of convenience I guess. The restaurants and bars in the hotel are very nice and the staff are amazing!!

I've used the valet car service the last two times I've stayed and was pleased, although the phone number they gave us to call ahead to have a car waiting didn't work. No matter really, I never had to wait longer than 5 minutes for the car to be brought. The in/out privileges are very convenient if you have several meetings throughout the day.

The Fairmont, although pricier than some hotels, is my go to place when I stay in Seattle because I know the staff will make my stay pleasant and comfortable.

Room Tip: Call Fairmont first to find out if they have any deals. Hotels.com always has great rates for this h...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
DennisClark, General Manager at The Fairmont Olympic Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay. We are glad to hear you find good value in the Presidents Club benefits and we truly appreciate your kind comments on the staff. They truly take pride in their work and find it very rewarding when our guest show their appreciation. We hope to remain your "go to" hotel in Seattle.

Reviewed August 31, 2011

This was definitely one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had. The service was incredible and the food was excellent. We had never stayed at a fairmont hotel before but suffice to say we're definitely sold!

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Well, I stayed here with my husband for three nights before heading out to the San Juan Islands, and in spite of my love of boutique hotels I enjoyed the Fairmont. The basic room was large, clean and had everything we needed. In addition, Shuckers, the restaurant served lovely food, if a little pricey. There is a sort of faded splendour about the place but despite my initial hesitation the hotel really delivered. The small gym was fantastic, and the friendly staff great. I have to add that the bed was probably the most comfortable bed I have ever had.

2  Thank FudgiefromCurrie
Reviewed August 29, 2011

The facility and amenities are lovely, and the service was topnotch. The location is terrific, and you can walk to many sights and excellent restaurants, BUT we were surprised and dismayed to discover that the doors between the bedroom and the living room were not solid. In the photos, they look like French doors with curtains, when they actually are just frames with sheer fabric in the center. This means that there is no sound barrier and the light coming through the sheer fabric leaves no privacy even for dressing. Although it would be fine for a couple, we had thought the suite would suffice for us and our college-age daughter, but it
really did not work well.

I would caution others who might make the same mistake. We would have been better off in two rooms--either there or some place less expensive.

• Stayed: August 2011

Thank you for your valuable comments and feedback. We appreciate your kind comments on the staff and attributes of our location. Also, your comments about the suite and the design of the room devider will be very helpfull as we evaluate our investment plans going forward. Thank you for your time and imput.

Reviewed August 29, 2011

Had a very nice stay in adjoining rooms, which worked out perfectly for our family of four. Rooms were well appointed and very comfortable. Only complaint is that the room lacked conveniently located power outlets.

Perhaps the most impressive part of the stay is that the housekeeping staff found and promptly returned my wedding band, which I accidentally left behind. Hugely grateful to Cathy who kindly helped out.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Fairmont in June, starting off a tour of the Pacific Northwest with European friends. It is a big, luxurious traditional hotel in the "Grand Hotel" vein: my husband had stayed there several times in the past, while travelling on business. From a tourist perspective, there were plusses and minuses. On the plus side, it was very comfortable, and had a terrific pool and fitness center. On the minus side, there were extra charges for some things that are often free -- internet and coffee, most notably. We know full well that the fancier the hotel the more things will be on the bill, but it is still a negative for tourists.

The one real problem we had related to reservations. One of our European friends still smokes, and when I reserved the rooms in January, I made absolutely sure to reserve a smoking room for her. That was in fact why we chose the Fairmont: as in the US generally, most Seattle hotels are non-smoking properties. When we arrived, however, we were told that there were no smoking rooms available -- they were all occupied. The hotel did take something off our friends' bill, but we would have preferred to have had the reservation honored as it was made.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends