“Historic Property, Great Service and and an Excellent Location”

The Fairmont Olympic Seattle
Ranked #12 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed 4 nights at the Fairmont for business and had a great experience. The Fairmont is not the type of property I typically select for leisure travel. I prefer more modern and clean design. Having said that, the Fairmont is truly a beautiful hotel. The lobby is gorgeous in an "old world" way with chandeliers and ornate decorations. The Georgian Room where breakfast and tea service (in the afternoon) takes place is regal and simply beautiful.

The check-in staff were extremely helpful and I provided me with exactly the type of room I had requested. The lower floors have bathrooms that have been recently renovated. So I opted for a room on the fourth floor. My room with a King Bed was extremely spacious and had all the modern amenities and was sound proof. The bathroom was fabulous -- it could have been a bedroom by itself (just based on size). The decor of the room is in keeping with the feel and style of this hotel -- printed curtains, carved tables and so forth. The bed was extremely comfortable. My only complaint about the room was that the power outlets were not in convenient locations if one is trying to do work away from the desk and chair set up.

Overall, the service at the hotel was excellent. The concierge team was extremely helpful and suggested some great places for me to eat at. The hotel has an excellent french patisserie in the lower level called Belle Epecurean. Highly recommend getting your morning coffee and even a sandwich to go for later in the day from this place. The owners of the patisserie trained at "Le Cordon Bleu" in France and have brought a range of french delicacies to Seattle.

The location of the Fairmont is extremely convenient to get to Pike Street Market, Capitol Hill, the major museums, Seattle Center and so forth. A big thumbs up for convenience on that front.

While I would not choose to stay here again (despite the positive experience) because of my preference for a modern design in a hotel and room, I would certainly recommend the Fairmont to anyone who would like to experience staying in a historic property with grand and traditional charm as well as excellent service.

Room Tip: Request a room on floors that have been more recently renovated
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed July 27, 2011

I have always wanted to stay at the Fairmont after visiting the Teddy bear room each year during Christmas. My room was a suite with a king bed and pull out sofa. I loved the location and the staff. The health club was really plush with fresh fruit and water. I would have loved free Internet in the lobby but they did have a business room to print your boarding card.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Yes, the building is old but that is the charm. Great location, good service and pool is nice. You will get what u paid for.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

This hotel was incredible. My daughter and I stayed here on a recent trip to Seattle. It is conveniently located just a block away from the Link Light Rail which takes you directly to the airport. It is also a short walk to Pike Place Market, the monorail to the Space Needle and the cable car to Union Lake. The hotel is beautiful with a traditional lobby where you re greeted by staff who can't do enough to make sure your stay is perfect! The rooms have luxurious bath robe and slippers. There is also a sitting room with a flat screen television in addition to the bedroom with the television. The hotel is also child friendly and children receive complimentary milk and cookies at night. It is an immaculate hotel and everything was perfect!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was a nice hotel except that you can hear street noise.The siren during the nights could be heard very clearly even on the top level.The room is pretty well insulated as you can barely hear any noise from the other guest rooms above or from the other side.We had stayed in a corner room.We are particular about noise coming from other guest rooms.
The two restaurants, Georgian and Shuckers were extremely good.Highly recommended.
It was such a shame that street noise could be heard for such a lovely hotel.Service was good even though the same concierge who helped us a couple of times was not very knowlegeable.It is centrally located downtown.

Room Tip: Corner room
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2011

The hotel is pricey and although it is very grand and ornate (to be honest it made me feel uncomfortable) you don't get what you pay for. To be charged for internet access on top of the prices you pay seems really tight fisted and frankly the pool complex isn't very welcoming either. The room was big but in such a strange layout you didn't want to spend too much time there which made the choice of dual TV's and various sofa's a waste. I imagine it may be limited by the age of the building but the air con was pretty industrial and out dated too. Don't stay here but do go to Shuckers !

Room Tip: Ask for one with working air con
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Stayed at the Fairmont Olympic at the end of June and when getting there via Clipper the bordwalk area was extremely crowded and getting a taxi was impossible. Walking with a carry-on luggage up what was about 7 blocks (Seattle's actually very hilly, hillier then Sanfrancisco) was rather a challange and work out.

When I got to the hotel I was greated by staff asking to assist me with my carry-on, wish that had been 8 blocks down the hill. The young lady that chcked me in was very nice and professional, her name was Emily. I asked her quite a few questions, all of which she answered and then when I looked back there was a big line-up and a concierge desk which I could've gone to, it was nice of her to help me.

At at the little cafe a quick croissant and safe latte and it was lovely, like french patisserie. There was always someone present in the lobby so if I had any directions questions or recommendations there was always someone readily accesible to answer my questions. The pool and gym area were lovely as was the entry and sitting area and the shrubbery and outside of the property.

The room was clean and fresh and I am rather particular about hotel cleanliness. The room was large and bathroom was very large. The windows were on level with other rooms windows making me feel uncomfortable to leave the window open at anytime in the case of a room invasion and fresh air would've been nice. The light above the sink was burnt and didn't really matter to me but that the maintenance person came within 15 minutes of me checking in to fix it, this should've been done prior to my check-in so, I declined him coming in and asked he return after I check-out.

The only thing I REALLY didn't like about the hotel was that the location was a bit out of the way causing me to taxi many places and I like somewhere in a prime location so, I can walk everywhere. Again, had I had more time in the city perhaps the location wouldn't have been an issue but it was because I was pressed for time and seeing as it wa out of the way I took at least 6 taxis that could've been easily avoided. Other then this challange, the property was great!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo