“a great mid price hotel”

Silver Cloud Hotel - Seattle Broadway
Ranked #5 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed July 4, 2011

I'm an english, 40-something professional guy who travels a reasonable amount for work and for pleasure. Stayed here with a friend for 7 or so nights over a 2 week period in June / July 2011. We both REALLY enjoyed our stay here. The Silver Cloud broadway is a great mid-price hotel. Things we liked about it :
- the rooms are quiet and large, v comfortable with good beds, bathrooms, flat screen and free wifi
- really excellent service. The staff here - particularly front-of-house - were consistently v helpful in answering all our questions on seattle stuff from restaurants, making calls overseas, even where would be the best place from which to view the 4th July fireworks
- location. it is one of the few ( only ? ) hotel in the fun and diverse capitol hill area. most other hotels are in the busy downtown area which is more full-on urban.
- the frequent shuttle to downtown was great and saves a lot of money on cabs
- no laundry service but high quality washer and driers on each floor made laundry v easy if needed
A couple of small quibbles :
- the hotel restaurant Jimmy's was a little bit soul-less and quiet. we only had breakfast there so maybe dinner would be busier. The service was sometimes a bit slow
- add a ' clean me now' tag to the doors so rooms can be cleaned promptly. rooms were sometimes cleaned a bit late in the day
- maybe add an ipod dock in each room ?
Overall : a really excellent mid-priced hotel that punches above its weight

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank london_traveller062
Write a ReviewReviews (1,146)

996 - 1,002 of 1,146 reviews

Reviewed July 1, 2011

great location. staff were just charming, very helpful. place was very clean, comfortable. i will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank bostonlisa02066
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This is a really nice Hotel, that compares favorably to the Seattle Kimpton properties, it's away from the tourist attractions but they have a very good Hotel shuttle. The Hotel is first class, and has well appointed rooms and a very good resturant and bar. The location was a new area of Seattle for me. The Capitol Hill neighborhood is a great walking area with dozens of interesting resturants, bars and shops. I will stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank statue1
Reviewed June 13, 2011

As with the Silver Cloud at Stadium the customer service/front counter staff are professional and helpful.
The rooms are clean, roomy, have a kitchenette and a nice TV.
As we were going to the Seattle Mariner's game we found this a little out of the way and in a neighbourhood full of different sorts of folks (some good some bad I guess you could say).
The Hotel has a shuttle to take you places so that is helpful.
The biggest pro for me was the parking is inexpensive enough and as we were attending a ball game and would be returning AFTER check out the hotel was more than happy to allow us to leave our vehicle in their parking garage at no extra charge. BONUS points for that.
The cons: out of the way for what we wanted and the neighbourhood didn't seem all that upscale (but was not run down).

Room Tip: Use the shuttle to get around.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joonthego
Reviewed June 9, 2011

Spent the night here while stopping in Seattle. Check in was quick and friendly. The room is clean and modern. The restaurant downstairs is Jimmy's and I highly recommend it. It would be a good stand alone restaurant so for a hotel one it is 5*
The hotel isn't walking distance to Pike Place or shopping but they offer a free shuttle. Good idea as parking is scarce and expensive around Pike Pl. Good value for the price.

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank TJP66
Reviewed June 9, 2011

We ended up at the Silver Cloud on Broadway after using HotWire and entering Downtown Seattle as the parameter. When we found out where this hotel was, we were disappointed because it is not in the middle of everything (it is on the other side of the main highway so to me that isn't the Downtown) and my husband had a conference to go to in the Downtown area. The shuttle was helpful in getting him where he needed to be, though.

I have to say that once we were there and I got my bearings, it worked out better than I would have thought! The lobby is lovely and the rooms are spacious enough. The bathroom isn't special but it is definitely sufficient...except for the hair dryer. Unless I completely missed something, this could be the most annoying dryer I have ever encountered - you have to hold the button in the ENTIRE time you are drying your hair. Forget it if you want to use the cool shot button - it was like acrobatics. Ladies you know what I am talking about. For a nice hotel, they need different dryers! There was a sink, fridge and microwave in the room which is a total plus! I could actually take leftovers!!

We didn't get a chance to eat at Jimmy's and I see another reviewer wrote they had a free breakfast. If that is true we completely missed that memo. In fact room service was quite pricey but that is not unexpected.

The shuttle is great. It runs on the half hour from the hotel and picks up from the 4 locations (Pike Place, i.e.) on the quarter hour. You just call the hotel and they let the driver know where you are. I went running one morning along the water and was dropped off and picked up promptly. Now if I had done my research ahead of time, I would have just run back to the hotel! I learned after some exploring that the hotel is a 15-20 minute brisk walk to the downtown. I took Pine St. straight down to the water and it was so simple. So you have options.

I also walked around the area surrouding the hotel. There are a few restaurants (chains - Subway and Panera, and non-chains), coffee shops (Starbucks and otherwise), a college, a hospital and boutiques. I stayed on Broadway and just walked up and down, stopped in the food store for lunch, and got a pedicure. There isn't a ton to do in the immediate vicinity but I love wandering so it worked for me for an hour or 2. There is an Urban Outfitters but it is the only mainstream store I saw.

I used the fitness center and it was small but fine. I believe there were 3 treadmills, 1 elliptical and a nautilus type weight machine. I may have missed something...maybe there was a bike too but I don't remember. I used the treadmill and it was good. The pool and hot tub looked nice and I wish I had more time to try them out.

I would recommend this hotel if you are okay with not being in the center of everything by the water. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karen S
Reviewed June 8, 2011

I am so happy to have found this oasis in the city! We like to go to the city for "overnites" with our daughter who lives very close to this hotel...she doesn't have room for us but the Silver Cloud does (I am pretty sure breakfast is much better here too).We didn't use the pool but next time I will pack our suits...very inviting clean pool! Our room was very reasonable in price..private, safe parking, very comfy beds, I felt spoiled! The breakfast alone saved us buying lunch as we were stuffed. Now don't get me wrong on breakfast it is a pretty typical "free" breakfast, cereal, juice,muffins,sweet rolls,waffles and such...I just didn't expect to find that and everything else at such a reasonable price! I have stayed at other hotels in Seattle and paid more and got much less! We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family