“Best movie theater I've ever been to!”
Review of Cinerama

Cinerama
Ranked #5 of 76 Fun & Games in Seattle
Reviewed July 26, 2017 via mobile

Living in New York we have the opportunity to go to great movie theaters but none are as amazing as Cinerama! Such a great experience! It has one theater and the concession stand is amazing!! All I have to say is beer and chocolate covered popcorn! Must go!!

All reviews
"chocolate popcorn"
in 53 reviews
"huge screen"
in 11 reviews
"reserved seating"
"paul allen"
in 8 reviews
"great place to watch a movie"
in 6 reviews
in 4 reviews
"auditorium"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed July 24, 2017

Come here to dwell in the art of the cinema. It's all about a large screen (however - not too large. It doesn't make one sick like I have felt at IMAX theaters before). The surround sound is optimal, and I am sure there is another name for it, some tradmarked term, but for me, it surrounded me, and brought me all the way inside the movie.

I heard they removed seats, to enable one to have enough leg room AND for people to walk by. It's slanted enough to be able to see even if you're short and seated behind an NBA player (well maybe Steph Curry, but not Kevin Durant).

Upscale eats and drinks cap off a super enjoyable evening that had me wanting to return to drop the top $$ for ticket, since it is SOOOO much more worth it than any of the chain theaters.

FYI - just try to be ok with a small popcorn bag. The large looks like you just went to QFC and filled a full sized shopping bag. The mixed regular & chocolate popcorn is delish, but it's a bit over the top. Next time I'll go savory and try a beer and pretzel!

Reviewed July 5, 2017

$16 per seat. A $1.50 surcharge when buying on-line. Very cool: you can see how many seats are available for each showing before picking seats.

Paul Allen bought Seattle's old Cinerama - thus we all benefit from it being one of his projects, or toys. The latest technology for sound and screen. The seating is top-notch, lots of space and assigned so you don't have to figure out where to sit.

Opening nights here are the best - they always have been. Watch for festivals/revivals - they don't advertise them heavily and they show some amazing things.

They serve beer here and have a bunch of fancy snacks. The staff here is very good - real movie freaks.

Reviewed July 2, 2017

We finally broke down and paid the $16 per person admission fee to this theater, because we wanted to see the newly released "Baby Driver" on its big screen. The experience proved to be worth every penny, including the additional $1.50 per ticket on-line handling charge.

The beckoning aroma of chocolate filled the lobby when we entered. That's where popcorn was being mixed with chocolate during the popping process. Buyers had three choices -- chocolate popcorn, regular popcorn or a mixture of the two -- for the same price. We opted for the old standard, paying $7 for the medium size. Art Deco decorative style, which is one of my favorites, reigns in the lobby and throughout the theater, from overhead lights to the beautifully crafted railing by the steps between floors.

The large screening room features a huge screen; a big main floor with stadium-style seating; a balcony; and comfortable, supportive red seats with a leather-like material. I liked having the ability to lean back in my seat and the wide space between rows. I could actually stretch my legs out straight without my toes touching the seat in front of me, but -- full disclosure -- I'm only 5-foot two. Alas, this height continued to present a problem for me here as it does in most other theaters, when someone in front blocks my view. Luckily, the blocker hunched down in his seat about five minutes into the film. inadvertently solving the problem.

The immense screen perfectly captured the incredibly choreographed car-chase scenes, unlike any I've seen before. And the sound system is superb, absolutely superb. Music plays a huge part in the film and was never diminished in any way.

The theater has undergone a few renovations since it opened in 1963 and is in excellent, clean condition. Purchasing a ticket here involves selecting a specific seat.

Cinerama's Downtown location means easy access by bus. Street parking nearby is limited to 2 hours, which is generally less than the time needed for attending most films. Seattle, however, has free street parking on Sunday, but spaces are difficult to find. There are parking garages in the vicinity.