“good experience could be better if pool in service”

Seattle Marriott Waterfront
Ranked #47 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Richardson, Texas
“good experience could be better if pool in service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

good experience. Pool was not in service. My children were disappointed. The hotel was very clean and very friendly. The food was good and the new restaurant was very good there. I like the fact you could walk to the waterfront and not far away from the boat tours and the wonderful Seattle Zoo.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dan R, Manager at Seattle Marriott Waterfront, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. Please accept our sincerest apologies that your stay was anything less than perfect. We can't apologize enough with regards to our pool being closed due to safety concerns, we hope that you were offered our shuttle to our sister property that has a pool. We will be researching this and will be reaching out to you for more feedback. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as we always appreciate any feedback that will help us grow and improve. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Korean first
United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I will start with the IRRITATING:
My husband and I arrived by Victoria Clipper ferry in the evening, about 21:00.
We were about a 10 minute walk to the hotel from the dock, with luggage.
We completed check in around 21:50-55. We were told about the concierge room, but it was too late by the time we arrived at the 8th floor location (closes 22:00). We were just wanting some juice before bed. My husband went to front desk and asked if there was a convenience store close by. The lady said yes, just up the hill. Well, it turned out being 6 city blocks, uphill, with lots of street people harassing for money. I cannot believe my husband actually walked to and from the store in these conditions, but he did. NOT GOOD ADVICE from a local working in a nice hotel.
Meanwhile, I went to the room. I used the toilet (#1), and it immediately started to overflow on first flush. So, I had to wait on maitenance and plunger, which took a while, I guess because it was 22:15.
We slept in the next morning and missed breakfast, which we do not mind.
I went to get a coke from machine, and the distributor was refilling it. So I waited.
When it was ready, I slid my credit card(s), and it was broken.
The exercise room was dirty. It needed a good wipe down and vacuum.
The pool area was closed ALL 3 nights we were there. I would have been upset if our kids were with us.
Now on with the GOOD:
The location was convenient for us.
Besides the first night, the service was helpful.
It had all the right ammenities.
Breakfast in concierge room was ok.

We are Marriott card holders and members, so I expected more from a high dollar hotel, from a company we use quite a bit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank World T
Jenn S, Executive Assistant at Seattle Marriott Waterfront, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you Amanda D for your review!

I want to personally apologize for the inconvienience we may have caused you while you were here. Please know I have shared your comments with our Operations team.

We value you as a loyal member to Marriott and if your travel bring you back to Seattle, it is our hope that we will have the opportunity to have you stay with us again.
Hilton Head, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

The location is great and the concierge was excellent (got us Mariner's tickets very quickly). There is no club lounge on the weekends, we had a coffee pot in the room and no cups and the handle fell off the bathroom door. The worst part was Saturday afternoon, between cruise passengers and weddings, the staff was clearly overwhelmed the couldn't get stored luggage quickly, there cars everywhere at the main entrance and if a taxi had not shown up with an inbound passenger, we might never have made it to our train as they could not seem to get a taxi organized. While it was great to be on the waterfront, it was a bad idea during the cruise season.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dan R, Manager at Seattle Marriott Waterfront, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Thank you JustRetired2013 for your feedback. Our guest's experience is of the utmost importance to us, and rest assurred we are actively looking at ways to ensure our service standards are not compromised during the cruise season.

Thank you.
guam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

We selected this hotel to stay at after our 7-day Alaska cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines, and it was the perfect choice! First, it was just a hop away from the cruise terminal---no need to take a shuttle or taxi; we just rolled our bags across the street and there it was. Second, the staff were extremely efficient and reliable; we arrived early and although the check-in process was completed quickly, the rooms we reserved were not yet ready. The staff promised to text or call us once the rooms were available, and they did as promised. We also requested for feather -free rooms, and the check-in staff made sure that was what we received. Third, the rooms were extremely comfortable, spacious and well-maintained. Finally, location---this hotel is literally just an escalator away from Pike Place Market and all the restaurants and shops. There was no need to get a rental car, which meant extra savings. OVerall, a great choice!

Room Tip: If you have allergies to down, ask for a feather-free room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank occdoc
Thank you occduc for your feedback. Arrival experience is very important to us and we are happy to hear that we our front desk staff did a great job in not only following up on their promise to contact you when your room was available, but also ensuring your request for a feather-free room was taken care of.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

This hotel was fine in all respects but one. Wonderful location near Pike Place Market and easy access to downtown, the ferries, the Space Needle and the stadiums. However, for those guests who are not returning from or heading out on a cruise, its location across the street from the cruise terminal means that on cruise days it is a real zoo---restaurant and lobby are jammed, long waits to get your car, etc. Pike Place Market and downtown were just an elevator ride up plus a couple of blocks (only one uphill block (a consideration in Seattle)), so quite quick and easy. Our room was quiet and otherwise excellent---the standard Marriott---and the staff and concierge were pleasant and helpful.

1 Thank GeneBrooklyn_NewYork
Dan R, Manager at Seattle Marriott Waterfront, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Seattle Waterfront Marriott.

We are pleased to hear that we provided you with a quiet and excellent stay and that our staff were pleasant and helpful.

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience on a cruise day, and rest assurred we are actively looking for ways to improve the guest's experience in our lobby and restaurant during these days.

Thank you and we look forward to hosting you again should your travels bring you back to Seattle.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

I reserved a room at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront with 105,000 points, for my Birthday get-away with my husband. We both work and travel frequently, so getting away together for a romantic weekend is a challenge.

I have always trusted Marriott for their outstanding properties and service.

When we reached there, I was severely disappointed with the accommodations we were given. Although we had a water view, the room was extremely small; no balcony, at the back of the U – so we mostly overlooked the other rooms, somehow still getting heavy street noise, and was remarkably ordinary. I expected far more from a category 7 hotel. We could have been staying at a Holiday Inn or Comfort Suites.

They also informed us when we got there, that the pool was closed, the concierge lounge was closed, and that we should keep our drapes pulled shut because there would be window washers working on scaffolding outside our window.

Even though I asked if there was any discounted parking in the vicinity with my handicap plates, I was told that I would have to pay the $45 daily parking fee. No one thought to mention that I could have parked on the street in front of the hotel for free, for however long I wanted, by Washington state and Seattle law.

The front desk was of no help, and somewhat abrupt. They said they could move me in two days, but to a room that was not much better. They offered to give me 10,000 points for their inability to provide me, a platinum member, with a better room. They did let me know that servicing the cruise-line guests was their first priority.

I was very upset because this was really destroying our special weekend. All other Marriott’s in the city were now booked.

The manager said she would check us out and refund our points, but she indicated she would not give us the additional points if we left. As of yet, the points have not been refunded.

I called Starwood Hotels and they bent over backward to find me a beautiful suite overlooking the water and the space-needle. They also gave us a present of chilled Champaign and appetizers to greet us in our room. They also did it all for less points than the Seattle Marriott Waterfront.

I have been a platinum member of Marriott for many years. Marriott is still my favorite hotel chain and I will remain a loyal customer. However, I would like my points returned and I would highly recommend that you not give the Seattle Marriott Waterfront a category 7 rating.

I have noticed that if a Marriott is in a location that assures a steady flow of traffic, the corporate emphasis on good service to gold and platinum guests is completely disregarded. This is very short sighted. Those of us who travel frequently on business and pleasure can still take our business - and our companies business - elsewhere.

Priscilla Berry

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you are leaving on a cruise. The corner rooms are very small. Request a...
2 Thank PriscillaBerry
Dan R, Manager at Seattle Marriott Waterfront, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Thank you for your review. Your comfort and happiness is our number one priority here at the Seattle Waterfront Marriott. Our team will be following up with the status on your refund of your reward points as well as your other concerns you experienced during your stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies that your stay was anything less than perfect. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as we always appreciate any feedback that will help us grow and improve. We trust you won't judge your experience here at the Waterfront to Marriott's high standards for our guests and we hope this will not deter you from choosing Marriott Hotels and Resorts in the future, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I LOVED this hotel. It was in the perfect location for many reasons. When you want to walk the city you have more energy in the morning so you can walk up hill to all the places you desire to go and when your tired from all the fun you have had all day you walk down hill to get back to the Marriott. The service was top notch and Pauline was fantastic. We were there to celebrate our anniversary and head out on a cruise. We loved have the balcony door open and being able to listen to the music from the Harbor while having a glass of wine. We had the best time at this hotel even better than our 7 night cruise to Alaska that was great but I would go back just for a few nights stay at this lovely hotel. I travel a lot and this will be one of my favorite destinations!
Thank you for the wonderful stay! (BTW we had a 5 year old in tow with us and he loved it and it still was relaxing)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Tululahh for your review!

I am happy to hear that you all enjoyed your stay. We are always looking towards improving our guest's experience and the product we provide, please know that we appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.