“Could spend hours here looking”
Review of Uwajimaya

Uwajimaya
Ranked #7 of 192 Shopping in Seattle
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Asian food and gift market that is filled with every type of Asian food that you could think of. Fresh food, produce, pkg food. We loved going down very aisle just looking at everything. My kids enjoyed all the fresh fish, live fish (especially the craw dads!). Just a fun experience while in Chinatown.

There are newer reviews for Uwajimaya

Reviewed June 26, 2013

I put this on our list because we have kids that love anime and manga and one of them speaks Mandarin Chinese so we always check out Asian things when we travel. We hit the bookstore part first and everyone went wild! There is a lot of anime and manga but tons and tons of cute little tchotchkes as well. We spent a lot in there! Then we walked out into the main grocery+ area where we were bombarded with delicious samples of hot teal, miso soup, salad, noodles... We looked at all of the housewares, toys, toiletries and then made our way to the fancy origami section. One of us is really into folding but in all of our travels, we have never seen such a huge and diverse selection of origami paper! They had lots of yummy Asian snacks that we bought, along with an Asian kite in the shape of a fish. We decided to eat in the attached food court. None of us was disappointed with anything we got for lunch! I got reprimanded for taking a photo in the food court. Apparently there are no photos allowed in the entire compound. We spent about 2 hours total, including lunch. Make sure to see the awesome dragons climbing the light posts nearby. Put this on your list if you are remotely interested in anything Asian.

2  Thank Amy N
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Uwajimaya is an awesome Asian store with a huge selection of Japanese, Chinese, and other Asian foods. We lived in Japan for 3 years and came back in 2012 so we are always so excited to see items we could get in Japan at Uwajimaya. Of course the price for these items is higher because they import it. There is a produce section, a fish section, a tea section and much much more. There is also a food court and a bookstore and gift area where you can find many nice Asian products. There is parking there; when you drive in, you get a parking ticket and as you check out with your items, the cashier will validate your parking ticket so that your parking is free. We always buy way too much at Uwajimaya because we want to experience Japan again but their selection is fantastic and it is always a good experience. There is also a Uwajimaya in Bellevue and Renton.

2  Thank AKAJamie
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I loved my visit to this supermarket. The fish department was phenomenal. It was beautifully displayed and looked fresh and delicious. The produce was equally eye-appealing with a wonderful variety. It is the nicest Asian market I have ever been in from China, to Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand, NYC, PHL... I only wished that I lived in Seattle to be able to shop in it frequently.
People were very kind and the market was very clean. There was a broad selection of organic items as well as traditional items. The housewares department had a marvelous selection of utensils, pots and dishes. It was a worthwhile visit and so close to the bus station.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Although I'm not at all fond of their food court, I do love the store, which is actually several stores in one. You'll find a massive Asian grocery store, including fresh meats, fish and poultry, as well as a beautiful produce section. It's one-stop-shopping at its finest! The employees are very helpful which is good, because I sometimes have difficulty finding things. Inside, there is also a very large book store and a kind of gift shop where you'll see kimonos, plates and bowls, cooking utensils, chop sticks, tea pots, and anything else you might need to cook and serve Asian foods. I think parking is free if you spend a certain amount in the store, but it's also on the bus line, so it's very easy to get to.