“Great food for a dive”

Rice 'n Spice
Ranked #2,914 of 4,216 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We found this place when we went looking for a late lunch. The place was not busy, so we thought we'd give it a shot.

The building is old, and somewhat run down. The place is somewhat clean in the dining room, but wander to the lavatory, and you get a different look. Bathrooms, storage area and kitchen were pretty dirty and run down. Good thing I saw this after we ate.

The food was excellent. We were immediately served a cup of what looked like Egg Drop soup. It was cold, which was disappointing since outside was cold that day, but tasty. We did not order the soup, so i figured it to be part of all meals. I recommend the Crab Pad Thailand if it is available. Plenty of crab and flavor. My wife had a salmon dish that was delicious. The salmon and broccoli were cooked in a wok with a General Tso type sauce, and some sort of crushed nuts cooked in. Seems like all their food had an option on the amount heat. On a scale of 1 - 4! 2 is good if you want just a little heat. 3 would ha been better for me.

Service was excellent, but then again, we were the only ones there for most of the time.

Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had an early dinner here after visiting the Space Needle which is nearby. The food and service were okay. It's not the best Thai food we had while visiting Seattle, but it was convenient and hit the spot.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

We should have known that this meal was going to be awful when we walked in at 6:30 PM and were the only customers in the restaurant - and we remained the only customers until we left.

I ordered chili paste noodles. What I got was a mound of gelatinous slime. Another reviewer compared them to mucus, which is spot on. When I pointed this fact out to the waiter, he tried to tell me that the noodles were supposed to be that way, as if I'd never been to a Thai restaurant before. I asked him to bring me some more noodles and he brought me a small bowl of the same mush, but without sauce. I let him know they weren't acceptable.

Any restauranteur worth his salt knows that when a customer gets an unsatisfactory meal, he has two options. He can either not charge the customer for the offending dish, or he can cook the customer something else. In this case I got neither. I was charged full price for the meal and was not offered anything in place the slime.

My husband ordered salmon curry and it was ok. Not great, but ok. He had to order rice separately because it didn't come with the dish!

It's too bad, because this restaurant is a 5 minute walk away from our apartment and we would have been frequent customers if the food and service had been decent. As it is, we'll never go back.

Reviewed April 28, 2012

We decided to try their Seattle location for a sit-down dinner last night before catching a movie at the SIFF Uptown. Now that we've eaten both here & at their Bellevue location, I can honestly say this is the best Thai food I've had so far in the Seattle area.

This is what we ordered and how I would rate each dish on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being best:

Drunken Noodles (SCORE: 9) - Hands down the best wide rice noodle I've ever had. Fantastic texture & perfect seasoning leave you wanting more even after licking the plate clean. Don't even think of eating here without ordering this dish.

Zion Chicken (SCORE: 8) - Basically breaded/fried chicken strips with Thai seasoning. Absolutely delicious, even though we requested the mildest level of spiciness & it still made me sweat a bit. I believe this is their signature dish (or should be).

Pumpkin Curry (SCORE: 7) - A slightly sweet, smooth-flavored curry accompanies kabocha squash in this tasty dish, which provided excellent contrast & balance to the other two.

My only negatives about this restaurant is that our table & floors seemed a bit sticky. Not sure if they just hadn't wiped/mopped things down in a while, or if it's always like that. Also, it's in the city so expect to pay for parking UNLESS you go there after 8pm (which we did) in which case street parking is free.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 11, 2008

not nearly as good as the original on Capital Hill

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Rice 'n Spice? Share your experiences!