“Worse than being in prison!”

Blake Island State Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$99.46*
and up
Tillicum Excursion
Ranked #114 of 453 things to do in Seattle
More attraction details
Owner description: Reachable only by tour or private boat, Blake Island has 475 acres of land and features views of the Seattle skyline.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I arrived at the docks and was told there was no space, so I waited for dock space to open up. Once I found a space, a ranger approached and politely but sternly told me the rules and warned me of any potential fines or penalties for breaking the rules. At that point, I was extremely happy with my 2-day camping visit.

But from that point on, every time I turned around an intrusive park person was admonishing me and telling me about the rules. It's really a shame, because Blake Island is a pristine and beautiful place with an extraordinarily cool history.

If the powers-that-be can rein in the authority figures at the campground and beat it into their heads that they work in the best interest of the public, then Blake Island has the potential to be a top vacation destination. As for now, I can only recommend it to those who like to be told what to do every couple of minutes.

12  Thank rblack
There are newer reviews for Blake Island State Park

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Blake Island State Park can only be accessed by private boat or through the Argosy Tours which leave from the Seattle waterfront. I have. This is a great place to hike, fish, camp, birdwatch, play with the Deers and experience Tillicum Village, Seattle’s Premier Native Cultural Experience and Home of the Famous Salmon Bake. I have come here many times, even camping with my scout Pack & Troop a number of times. A truly amazing place.

2  Thank tall_six6
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The day I first met my wife, we ended up going on a ferry with friends to Blake Island for a dinner and show. Delicious seafood chowder, salmon dinner and wonderful theater. The island has some prestigious visitors in the past.

3  Thank JBVietor
Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

Take the ferry and see the Tillicum show. The walkway is made of crushed shells and their cultural art work is beautiful. They serve a wonderful salmon dinner as you watch their dances and stories. A good break from the city and a great way to appreciate the Native culture. Don't forget to take a stroll on the trails. You won't regret it!

2  Thank MrsAlaska
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Tillicum Indians operate a sweat lodge, I have this on my "to do" list for my next visit to Washington. While I am waiting to have that experience, I am recalling the taste of the specially prepared salmon and the magical atmosphere of native chanting, prayer and dance that accompanied this experience. Just pop over to Pier 55, and take a one hour ferry ride across the Sound, with the crisp air rushing past you and the smell of the salt water bringing you back to your origins. The foods are specially prepared and not the normal fare one might expect in a restaurant, but then you are immersing yourself into the experience of another culture. I can hardly wait to do this again, but they do close for the winter. I hope to take the whole family to Blake Island, the Tillicum experience, when they open in the spring

2  Thank HappyTraveler297