“Very nice hotel!”

Watertown Hotel - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #29 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed May 18, 2005

I enjoyed staying at this hotel. The room was super clean and the staff were amazingly friendly. They had lots of extras (which I love!): cool shampoo, soap, etc., and the Ala Cart is a wonderful (and free!) touch. I submitted a comment card because I thought they did an outstanding job and they sent me a personal letter saying 'Thank You'! I have never experienced such great customer service. You'll be impressed if you stay here!

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
4  Thank Kivablue

Reviewed May 15, 2005

Let's be upfront here. The whole point of the Watertown can be summed up by "boutique-ish hotel with convenient and free parking." My friends who are sales reps swear by it, so when my work associates and I scheduled a couple of days in Seattle, it seemed like a good choice.

The room is newish, looks a bit like an apartment. The windows open. I wasn't crazy about the storage space. The decor is simple. There's a microwave. You can pretend (the way some of my friends do) that you are not on vacation, but actually live in the city you are visiting. OK, so you live in the student ghetto. But there are about a half dozen teriyaki stands to choose from; what more did you want? It's a short drive to better restaurants on Capital Hill.

The cart system is clever, but the computer cart is somewhat unworkable. It's hard to comfortbly use. A computer room would work better. My work friends love free hotel breakfasts so let me say it was appreciated by some. For me, eh.

Really, it's all about the free parking and easy freeway access. And for tourist stuff, downtown is better.

• Stayed: April 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank mkedan
Redondo Beach, CA
Reviewed May 14, 2005

The previous reviewers were right on the overall cleanliness, decor, amenities of the hotel and the low scale ethnic eateries around the neighborhood. I would like to add my comments on the "ala cart" amenities and the staff. I agree with some reviews that the "ala cart" does not offer much practical sense. It is somewhat gimmicky. We ordered a movie cart and when it arrived, my husband and I looked at each other and started laughing ( go to their website and see it yourself). It also appeared that there was only one cart for every a la cart item. We couldn't get the spa cart because someone already got it for the night. The staffs are friendly but they also seem extremely busy. The night we checked in, only one front desk personnel was on duty. He was very busy answering MULTIPLE phone calls while checking us him. When we called down for the morning call service, a young guy on the other line was yarning. I believe most staffs are students. In some way we felt like we were staying at a training hotel.

For its price, the hotel is of great value but a rental car is a must if you want to do some sightseeing. A morning jog around the campus was a surprising pleasure-- -beautiful architecture, landscape, and gardens. I visited the reading room in the Suzzallo Library and walked through the waterfront trail around the Union Bay. Both were stunning in their own way--one is man-made and the other is natural. Would I stay here next time? Definitely, if I were on a business trip. If I were in Seattle with family for a vacation, I would stay somewhere else because the decor though hippy does not render a sense of warmth and coziness.

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Coulee Dam, WA
Reviewed May 2, 2005

This hotel was a wonderful find in Seattle. When we first arrived, I was so happy to know that the parking was free which is so rare in Seattle. They provided shuttles to places we needed to go as well. The breakfast was better than most hotels we have had. We like the little touches too like the freshly baked cookies during the day, the "ala carts", and the free high speed internet. We had a one year old baby with us as well and they provided a baby ala cart which provided baby soap, shampoo, extra diaper, etc. Very nice and helpful for families. The only thing I would say is lacking is the pool but you can use the one on the next block. We stayed there a whole week during a conference and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. I would go again.

• Stayed: February 2005, traveled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 28, 2005

Most of the other reviews hit the nail on the head. This hotel is hip and unlike any other you have ever been too. The furnishings are unusual and kind of fun. The cart program is kind of cool, but more gimmicky than practical. The location is not ideal for tourist activities, but a rental car (free parking) can easily solve that. The staff is courteous, but generally are a bit too busy (check-in and check-out were both over 5 minutes). The free continental breakfast is a nice touch, but not of superior quality. The fitness room is VERY small and not private (it opens to the breakfast area and has sidewalk-level windows in a busy college area).

Unfortunately, a comfortable bed can make or break a hotel. We stayed in a suite, and our bed was EXTREMELY uncomfortable. To add to the coolness factor, the mattress was placed on a solid wood block with no boxspring. This made for a mattress that progressively felt firmer the longer you slept on it. The worst feeling in the world is to cut your sleep short in the morning because its just too uncomfortable. It took about an hour or so to work the kinks out of our back.

In all, this hotel has a laundry list of things going for it. However, only the hotel and room decor is where they appear to have gone "the extra mile." Everything else appears to have been added to bolster its amenities list, but not a whole lot of PRACTICAL thought went with it.

For me, I wouldn't plan a lengthy vacation at this hotel as the coolness factor will wear out in about 2 days. What you will be left with is a longing for traditional amenities in a more central location.

• Stayed: March 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 26, 2005

I spend about 60 nights a year away from home and this place has just jumped to the top of my list. Not only is it sylish and smartly appointed, I love not being nickled and dimed to death- parking, breakfast, wi-fi, loaner bikes, bottled water, microwave, frige, even their cool "carts" (see their site) all included. I wish they were everywhere I had to go.

• Stayed: April 2005
2  Thank Iravros
Reviewed April 18, 2005

Stayed in Watertown for the second time. Rooms are nicely designed and furnished. It has free parking in an underground garage and I was able to get to Seattle Center in ten minutes and downtown in less than twenty minutes during morning commuting hours. There was a terrific restaurant a block away for breakfast and lunch which also caters for the hotel cocktail area during dinner with a free wine-tasting offered. It was a terrific value, with very helpful employees and I plan to stay there the next time I am in Seattle.

• Stayed: April 2005