“Nice Hotel, Not as Convenient for Business Travelers” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Watertown Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality

Watertown Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality
Ranked #27 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Norfolk, Virginia
“Nice Hotel, Not as Convenient for Business Travelers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the Watertown Hotel for several days in late January while I was doing some business at a local hospital.
Staff were very pleasant and always helpful and I had a couple of issues that needed to be resolved. As others have mentioned, the rooms have some nice conveniences with the refrigerator and microwave. I was on a floor that I think had the "renovation" completed although I'm not sure what the change was. It didn't look all that new and shiny. The floors in the rooms are that laminate type of flooring. I'm OK with that - have it in my own bedroom, but this version had kind of a "hollow" sound when walking on it. Kind of like it needed to be nailed down. Mine doesn't have that. Not a huge deal, but it gives a feel of "cheap" that I don't think the hotel intended.
One thing I discovered is that there is an ice machine on only one floor or the hotel! This appears to be a change as the signs in the hallway indicate that there are ice machines on all floors. I've run into this a lot recently. I like ice in drinks and its a pain in the neck to have to go down several floors to get it. In this case, the ice was on the floor getting renovated so I had to work my way through mattresses and furniture and construction carts in the hallway to get to the ice. Kind of thought that might be a liability/safety hazard. The next morning when I dumped out the water a whole lot of black "stuff' drained out. Wow! I realized that there must have been something wrong with the ice machine. I passed on the problem to the front desk and they did get it looked at. That evening the machine was still out of commission, but the front desk person very nicely offered to get some ice - I guess from the small restaurant in the hotel (which was closed at the time) and bring it up to my room. Nice touch! They were also helpful the next evening running around looking for a couple paper plates to heat up some food.
They don't (or didn't at the time) have soda machines anywhere and that little restaurant closes early so in order to get something to drink you have to go across the street to the little market. As a business person who's had a long day, dashing out in the rain to get a diet coke isn't too fun.
The three days I was there were cold and rainy so I wasn't in the mood to walk around to look for a restaurant. The one in the hotel closes by 5 PM. But they had a number of restaurants who would deliver and the front desk associate was very helpful in providing suggestions and memos. Much appreciated.

The day I left, I was taking a very late "red eye' flight home and had about 5 hours between finishing work and leaving. I really appreciated that they gave me a reasonable rate for a "late" checkout. I've tried that at the larger chains and they charge you a full day rate even though you're leaving around 8:30 PM.

One thing I really liked was that their soap, lotion etc was in dispensers - even at the sink. I wish more hotels did this. I travel almost every week, usually at one place for a night or two. I bring my own liquid soap. I hate wasting a bar of soap or open a lotion bottle for just one usage

So all in all, I enjoyed the hotel. Just wish they had a few more conveniences available for us business travelers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Dear SS,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your most recent stay at Watertown Hotel. I am glad you found the staff to be helpful.

I am sorry to hear about your ice machine escapades... sounds like that was quite an adventure! We do have a soda machine on all floors except the top one along with ice on most floors. Sounds like we could have been more helpful in getting you some ice!

We appreciate both your feedback as well as your business!

Connie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Serbian first
Eugene, Oregon, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Watertown is clean, comfortable and incredibly convenient if you're visiting a student at the UW. The location is also great for quick access to Wallingford, Green Lake, or downtown - without paying downtown hotel prices.

The location can't be beat - two blocks from the "Ave." The rooms have very modern decor and hardwood/tile floors, which isn't necessarily my style, but there are many plusses to offset this minor negative. Amenities include a kuerig coffee maker, mini fridge, and microwave, free bottled water, and complimentary use of a washer/dryer (around the corner from my room).

During my stay, there was major construction going on in the lobby (replacing the floors), which made getting in and out of the hotel a bit of a hassle, plus there was considerable noise. It would have been nice to have been offered some sort of token for the inconvenience - for example a free coffee in the Pineapple Cafe, or something like that - but, construction aside, I would definitely return to the Watertown and recommend it to anyone looking for a nice (and affordable) place to stay near the UW.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear Leslie,

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Watertown Hotel. We appreciate the positive comments about being clean, comfortable and a convenient location, with great proximity to the all the UW has to offer. Glad to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities as well.

I am sorry about the lobby flooring replacement. There is no easy way around a flooring project! My hope is that you will find upon your return that the beautiful new bamboo was definitely worth the temporary inconvenience!

Corvallis, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Watertown seems to be making a lot of changes these days, and time will tell if they are improvements. I look forward to seeing what type of rugs they put on the now-cold laminate floors. Even during the changes, however, the staff and their excellent service continues to shine!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear 9139,

Thanks for your comments about Watertown Hotel. I appreciate your accolades about the staff and our service level, as I believe that, ultimately, will be what brings you back!

I, too, look forward to the rugs and the many other enhancements we are planning for 2013.
I think you may find these changes to be good!

Cheers,
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

After scouring North Seattle for a dog-friendly (we have a very well-behaved Golden Retriever) hotel or motel we found Watertown on the web. This is a very clean (cleanest dog-friendly hotel ever in our experience), friendly, place. The beds were very comfortable, staff very friendly, and storage areas in the room (and the whole room layout), were very well thought out. If you're visiting the University of Washington or just want to hang out and soak up the ambience of the area, this is the place. Somewhat pricey but worth it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wrigor
Dear Wrigor,

I am delighted you enjoyed our pet friendly Watertown hotel. We especially appreicate your comments about being a clean and friendly place.

With the many complimentary additions to our room, we feel that there is good value in the price, and glad you agree that we are worth it!

We look forward to seeing you and your well behaved golden retriever again some day soon!

Warmly,
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Watertown Hotel is located in the University of Washington area of Seattle and is comfortable, upscale and convenient for visiting your student or on a trip to check out the U.

The rooms are very clean, the furnishings new and modern. We had a spacious room with two double beds and a commodious desk and chair, while a double-sided wall unit housing a closet, safe, fridge and microwave served as a divider to the dressing area. The tub and toilet are separated from the dressing area by a door. There is Starbucks coffee and a Keurig in the room and complimentary wi-fi with good signal throughout the hotel. The absolutely only negative is that the doors are not well insulated, so people talking in their rooms can be easily heard from the hallway.

The hotel has a coffee shop open from about 6am to 4pm serving Starbucks coffee, baked goods, light snacks and sandwiches, but no proper restaurant. After the coffee shop closes, there is complimentary coffee in the lobby.

The location is great for U district shops and restaurants. Shalimar three blocks over on University between 42nd and 41st has tasty Indian fare and Thai Tom on the same block was delicious. Don't bother with the Portage Bay Cafe down the street; just not good enough for the price.

There is a lot of road construction going on in the Mercer St. corridor right now (1/2013) and the roadway changes daily, so if you are planning to go downtown to sight-see (Space Needle, Pike Place Market, etc.) the bus may be your best option (if you want to drive downtown, definitely go on the highway for now). Try www.metro.kingcounty.gov for bus info. I believe the 71 and 73 go down Roosevelt, which is a one-way street (south). The hotel is on the left side of Roosevelt between 43rd and 42nd, with a small parking spot right on the street, no pull in area for when you're checking in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Hi Michas,

Thank you for your complimentary review of the Watertown Hotel. I am so glad to hear you found our little gem in the U-district to be clean and full of some great amenities! You were most informative for future guests regarding the public transit. I wanted to let you know we also have a complimentary shuttle service that runs between the u-district and downtown Seattle. It is booked on a space available basis but can come in handy if you prefer we do the driving! Also, when you arrive to check in, and we have verified you have a reservation, we are happy to buzz you into the garage so you don't have to park on the street at the curb while registering.

We hope to see you again sometime soon!

Vancouver, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I found the staff to be friendly and the hotel very clean. I really liked how the bathroom area was set up........plenty of drawer space and light. The bed was comfortable. The hotel was mostly quiet. Sometimes staff would talk loudly in the hallway, but honestly I think it was just their everyday normal doing business tone of voice. It might be nice to remember sometimes people are in their rooms resting. Their exercise room is small but functional and has enough variety to offer up a good workout. Across the street is a wonderful little market that sells just about everything and has an extensive deli inside of it. It also offers a huge seletion of beer, wine and hard cider along with a nice assortment of soft drinks.

Room Tip: As usual, stay away from the elevator. Staff tend to talk while waiting to use them. They talk in th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Hi Love-to-learn RN,

I am glad you chose Watertown Hotel as your place to stay while visiting Seattle. Thank you for your positive comments about our friendly staff and clean hotel.

I will definitely speak to the staff about being careful of their conversations, as we should not be disturbing your rest.

Thanks again and hope to see you one day again here at Watertown.

Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

With the two night, one night free promotion, I was glad we picked Watertown. The location was not too far from downtown and it was convenient to have free underground parking. Wish there was complimentary breakfast, but the mini pineapple cupcakes and coffee/tea in the afternoon is a nice touch. My daughter and I used the complimentary shuttle to the Pacific Center.
As with other reviews, please do get fitted sheets really soon! I appreciated having the swing arm reading lights for each bed. A lot of hotels I've stayed at don't have enough lighting, so this was nice to have. The room layout with three windows (natural lighting!) and the closet dividing the bathroom and sleeping area is a nice touch. It felt less like a standard hotel room.
Our room on the fifth floor was right by the elevators. Fortunately, most of the other occupants who used the elevator were quiet. But conversations by other guests sounded like they were right outside our door.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Papuacragrat
ConnieSchneider, Manager at Watertown Hotel - A Piece of Pineapple Hospitality, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Hi papuacragrat,

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments about our lovely Watertown Hotel. We appreciate your patronage.

I am glad you found the location convenient, and were able to take advantage of our many complimentary amenities and services.

We are working on improvements on our bed package in early 2013.