“Wunderbar!! Authentic German food”
Review of Heidelberg Haus - CLOSED

Heidelberg Haus
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We were very pleased with this restaurant, which provides authentic and tasty versions of a number of German favourites. The waiter was a bit forgetful, so make sure he writes down what you ask for, but he does offer you the opportunity to exercise any German-speaking skills you might have. My vegetarian daughter raved about the Kaesespaetzle, and the pork Wienerschnitzel was very tender. Perhaps the choice of desserts could be wider, but the Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte I had was generous in size and very good.

2  Thank Pierre J

Reviewed July 21, 2014

My wife and I were celebrating our 39th anniversary and decided to try celebrating somewhere new to us. After reading the outstanding reviews we chose Heidelberg Haus. Overall it was a good choice but not a memorable place.

When we arrived and tried to select a beer, the waiter announced that each of our choices were not available. After the second rejection he mentioned that they were printing a new menu because all of the listed beers had been replaced. So we just took his recommendation and enjoyed the results.

We'd arrived early (5:00) because we had heard that they filled up quickly and we didn't know what parking would be like. The area was what my wife called eclectic (I translated that to hang on to your purse). And the restaurant was very basic with white painted walls and a few German pictures. Not much atmosphere. But after getting past that, we chose from a fairly short menu.

We started our meals with an appetizer of Mussels, cooked in a dark German beer. These were probably the only disappointment we had with the food. The sauce was weak and the mussels had a very fishy flavor. Not what we had expected.

For dinner, my wife selected Jagerschnitzel. An excellent choice with a perfect mushroom gravy cover and with seasoned cabbage that was to die for and a good spatzle. I ordered the Schnitzel roll, which was a tightly rolled combination of thin pounded schnitzel, Swiss cheese and bacon, which was either fried or deep-fried and covered with a light cheese sauce. It was a bit tough, but had an excellent flavor. The roll was cut into two somewhat small pieces and served with a helping of wonderfully flavored green beans and great mashed potatoes. Neither of of could completely finish our meals and were happy to take home the leftovers.

We were too full to order dessert, but we listened to the couple at the next table ooh and aah over theirs.

1  Thank phutton11
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Authentic renditions of all the German classics such as schnitzel, sauerbraten, bratwurst and rouladen.

2  Thank Steve C
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Echtes Deutsch!

Excellent Wienerschnitzel and Jaegerschnitzel. Rather simple German food very well prepared, very personable staff. I am very particular about food because I have many allergies to food; this is a place that actually pays attention to what they are told, and they make food that tastes great. I have to confess my Grandfather was German and I have always had an inclination to things German because of that. Even aside from that, the food is not greasy, food is spiced nicely without overpowering the inherent flavors of the dish. My fussy and particular grandchildren love it.

2  Thank Terrence C
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Seattle's Heidelberg Haus was a great find in the charming Ravenna neighborhood. Tastefully comfortable, light and airy decor. Good selection of German beers on tap. Knowledgeable, informative, welcoming staff. Clean and spacious with German music playing.Traditional menu choices and vegetarian options. Our food was plentiful and fairly priced. Service was prompt. Plenty of street parking. Other restaurants and shops in the area. What a delight for my birthday celebration!

1  Thank SaraSpoonda