“Best Breakfast near Lake Union”
Review of Cactus

Cactus
Ranked #163 of 4,217 Restaurants in Seattle
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

As a part of Three couples we have tried a number of restaurants in the area including Portage Bay (across the street)

Here at Cactus we tried several items, all of which were excellent.

Tres Leche French Toast is the best French Toast I have enjoyed ANYWHERE in the Country! It is made with three types of milk blue corn for the toast recipe (plus the "secret" ingredients). Bananas reduced in a rum sauce are also part of the serving. WOW!

The 2nd best breakfast in the area is the Portage Bay. They have a wonderful serving bar for French toast, but the overall taste there no matter how you do it doesn't compare (unless you want to stack lots of fruit on your pancakes),

All in all, the side of bacon is slightly better also at Cactus than Portage.

Finally, the crowding and waiting at Portage Bay and lack of such waiting is also a point in favor of Cactus (although hours of service are different). Cactus opens at 10:00 on weekend, Portage Bay 7:30. We arrived about 9:30 and were told we would have an hour wait at Portage Bay (we are there last breakfast and had a wait if 20 minutes). That is why we tried Cactus-and we are GLAD we did!

Bill the Lawyer

Reviewed January 29, 2014

I had lunch with my grandson and friend. The service was great. I had the smoked chicken chop chop salad. It was very good! They were quite busy but after we ordered, the food came quite quickly. I would definitely go there again.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

On both visits to this restaurant, we've had wonderful service and terrific food. Our first visit was a little family reunion luncheon; excellent service and we never felt "rushed". Our second visit was during "Happy Hour"; again , a wonderful selection of food and drinks at GREAT prices.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

I took my daughter and grandaughters out for lunch at the Cactus on Alki. It is a beautiful setting and modern restaurant. My daughter said it is a true mexican style restaurant. Very modern atmosphere with fireplace and a bar. View of the Puget Sound out the windows. Service was excellent. Our waitress was very helpful with suggestions, since it was our first time there. My grandaughters are 15 and 5, but the restaurant was well suited for both. We left feeling full and tastebuds satisfied. The meal was ended with a complimentary carmel custard desert, gone in a second. Great time!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I hosted a baby shower for a party of 25 guests.

The planning and organization were done thru e.mail correspondence since I do not live in Seattle. The company's party planner was organized, thorough and knowledgeable. She was a professional.

The dinner buffet was held at South Lake Union's mezzanine private party room. Cactus' South Lake Union is the only Mexican restaurant in Seattle that has a private party room. The understated elegance of the room was the perfect ambiance for the celebration. The room has a bar and a wide screen television.

From appetizers, entree to desserts; the dinner buffet was delectable. The food presentation was pleasing.

The party's bartender, Joe, was personable, relaxed and yet attentive and professional.