“Oriental Mart / Kitchenette Is My Pike Place Favorite”
Review of Oriental Mart

Oriental Mart
Ranked #772 of 4,321 Restaurants in Seattle
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I recently had the pleasure of stumbling onto the Oriental Mart / Kitchenette in Seattle's Pike Place Market. At first I was enticed by the smell and presentation of their Filipino food and then I sat down to a wonderful culinary experience courtesy of Leila, the Mart's "front woman." While I'm no expert in Filipino food, I ate Dinuguan my first day and it was out.of.this.world. This beef dish and their noodles were so good that even after sampling other establishments in Pike Place, I came back here - and did not return anywhere else - on my second day at the Market and sampled their outrageously good pork. I recommend Leila and her Mart to any food tourist and culinary explorer since the tastes were unreal and the company was superb. My only regret about the Mart is that I live 3,000 miles away and can't go back to visit there all the time!

1  Thank J3260763

Reviewed June 24, 2013

This little spot looks like a knick knack shop, however this family owned restraint serves the BEST salmon sinagon soup ever! This is a sweet and sour based soup with wild salmon. It's a MUST. Not to mention the chicken adobo and the pancit. If u don't know Filipino food, don't worry it's awesome! Don't miss it and make sure u tell the cook " salamat po!"

2  Thank brucejkirch
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This unassuming spot right across from the main corner at Pike Place Market looks just like a random goods shop in any Asiantown in a major American city. But behind the market is a real-deal Filipino food kitchenette/lunch counter that was such a wonderful find after a busy day of visiting vendors. I was craving my native cuisine, and the O-Mart (and its very funny and colorful handwritten signage) did not disappoint. So much so that we went twice.

We first had a late lunch with pork adobo and longanisa - which came with a giant scoop of steamed white rice and a side of pansit. I love that longanisa taste - sweet, gloppy, but still unmistakably sausage - and theirs delivered. Ate Leila was nice enough to fry us up some turon too (their lumpia runs out early). We had such a wonderful time chatting them up that we promised to be back the next morning. Especially because Leila promised us some garlic fried rice topped with fried eggs. And that's exactly what we got - with more longanisa.

We also cleaned out their supply of dried mangoes at the mart. Non-Filipino style dried mangoes simply do not compare.

While we didn't have the signature sinigang, I will point out that this dish is usually *not* prepared with fresh salmon. Theirs is. So any newcomers reading this - that would be a very special introduction to a very traditional, cure-everything soup dish. More adventurous folks will try the dinuguan (made with pork's blood, or "chocolate meat" as my parents jokingly called it).

The atmosphere was very welcoming and really could have been any old Saturday at my titas' place. True to form, the family that runs this joint were very, very friendly (even to someone of Filipino origin like myself who does not speak a word of conversational Tagalog). I'm not surprised they get loads of Filipino crew and service workers on the days those boats pull into Seattle - anyone who wanted a real taste of home would head here.

Look, it'll never exactly replicate every single Filipino's experience growing up with this cuisine. (Yes, we tend to be very picky about the way we like our stock dishes, because each family's recipe for adobo, pansit, sinigang, etc., is so personal.) And I'd be really worried if the Filipino joint *wasn't* a lunch counter with everything sitting out there - that's just how it's worked for years. But bottom line, I highly recommend this place. A hidden gem amongst Seattle's most famous tourist attraction.

2  Thank Lost_Sage
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Great across the street from Pike Place Market. This little counter diner served great simple almost street faire food. signs behind the ounter along with the style of our server made this a most memorial experience.

2  Thank Gregory M
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Authentic. It was just like I wandered into one of my Auntie's kitchens to have lunch with family. My food was still cooking (pancit, rice and fried chicken) so I was encourage to see the sights at Pike's Place and come back in 10 minutes. The dish was just right when I returned. And then they encouraged me to relax, take my time and enjoy my meal. I will return ASAP.

I'm glad Andrew Zimmern recommended Oriental Mart. I was not disappointed!

1  Thank ivanbart