“Best Biryani!”

Cuisines: Indian, Tibetan, Nepali
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2014

First visit - loved their food! Tandoori Mixed Grill came on a sizzling pan with generous and perfectly cooked portions of chicken, lamb, salmon and veggies. Shrimp biryani was moist and rich with garlic, herbs, and no doubt some secret ingredients, plus a chunky, tangy raita on the side. We had enough left from our meal for a take home box that warmed up perfectly the next day. Nice variety on the wine list too. Convenient for after work or various downtown venues, including Pike Place Market & Seattle Symphony.

There are newer reviews for Kastoori Grill

Reviewed February 14, 2014

This place was right down the street from our hotel, and right next to Pike Place Market, so we went in. We had the Curried Mussel Clams ($8.95) appetizer and Garlic Naan Bread ($3.95) appetizers. The clams are excellent and the sauce is amazing. Make sure and get the Naan Bread to dip in the sauce!

I ordered the Lamb Rogan Josh ($14.95) dinner. Lamb cooked in fresh tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, ginger and onion curry sauce with basmati rice. It was very good, except I could have done without the stems on the pepper corns (can't chew them). My wife ordered the Shrimp Palak ($14.95) which was supposed to be shrimp cooked in spinach gravy and finished with a garlic cream sauce.

When her entree arrived, it had a greenish color so we thought it was the Spinach (we don't have alot of experience with Indian cuisine, we just know that we like it!). But after awhile she decided there was no spinach in her dinner and it was very bland other than the shrimp. So we called over the waitress and asked what she had brought. She admitted that she had brought Shrimp Daal Curry (also $14.95). My wife was disappointed that she didn't get what she ordered, but by this time she had eaten half of her dinner, so we couldn't really demand a refund at that point. Still, I would normally expect a restaurant to at least comp HER meal under these circumstances! When we received the bill we were surprised to see that the waitress had gone ahead and charged us full price for everything! Needless to say, she got no tip from us!

Another thing I noticed was that it was a little smoky in the restaurant. It's underneath another building, so I think they don't have proper ventilation. I had eaten in the same building before when it was a different restaurant, and I kind of remember they were having the same problem. I noticed there were several people coughing (more than normal), so maybe not a place to go if you have breathing issues.

That being said, we might give them another chance next time in Seattle, just because the food was good!

Reviewed February 8, 2014

Wow!! You better have laundry after going in there. I had dinner there and did not stay long. Food was Ok, but the smell was very strong; it felt like it attached itself to my cloth, my skin, my hair etc. It stayed for days in my house, even though I showered immediately after coming back from that restaurant and washed all my cloth. I love Indian food and I go to Indian restaurants all the time. This one was different with very strong smell. I am not less attracted to Indian spices because of it. So be wary and know what you are getting yourself into.

2  Thank Qamar14
Reviewed January 31, 2014

Usually, when I am in Seattle and feel like dining Indian, I go to Bellevue. But I did not want to go there this time so searched the Internet for Indian restaurants. Several came up but Kastoori was the closest to my hotel and still had good reviews.
I have been at Public Market quite often but never noticed this restaurant, which is very close to that place.
That said, I went here and it smelled great entering the restaurant. I was seated by friendly staff, was given three delightful sauces with a papadum and ordered a vegetable samosa and a small Taj Mahal beer.
The papadum was great, the sauces were superb and the samosas were also very, very good. The small vegetables on the side were also fresh and very tasty.
Main dish was vegetable Biryani and a garlic nan with a Mango lassi. Again all were above expectations. Why? Because this restaurant is not very chique or classy. But Everything from the kitchen was simply excellent.
Sometimes a good indication when many Indian people dine here. Real Indian, Tibetan chefs also gives confidence of an authentic kitchen.
Well, my verdict is a must visit. If you love Indian food, this is definitely one to check out. Great quality for a very reasonable price.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

We wanted to dine at one of the restaurants in the market but found it already closed for the evening, so ended up settling for this place solely based on the aromas coming from the door and large number of patrons inside. It was a blind date of sorts, and the food was pure delight. The ambience is quite unassuming, and may be put-offish to some, but our dinner was fabulous. Don't leave without trying the curry mussels!