“Simply Amazing”

The Grove, West Seattle Inn
Ranked #62 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed November 16, 2013

"The Grove, West Seattle Inn," is an excellent choice for lodging if you plan to visit Seattle.Perfect for access to downtown, which is literally just minutes away. The transformation of this property has been encouraging to see. Now I find, "The Grove", to be a better choice than many locations downtown.

"The Grove", offers free parking, a well appointed continental breakfast, (which included fresh fruit and Greek yogurt), and clean comfortable rooms. The staff is exemplary, always kind and friendly, attentive to any need you express. I have stayed here both when traveling alone, and with my family. To my delight, when I stayed here with my family, I noted the staff was wonderful in their interaction with my son, who experiences Autism.

West Seattle itself offers many wonderful eateries, interesting shops, the historic, "Husky" delicatessen, and even boasts it's own local theater company, "Arts West." If you enjoy the outdoors, West Seattle can't be beat. Alki beach offers miles of waterfront access, with phenomenal views of downtown and the Olympic Mountain range. Lincoln Park, near the Vashon Ferry dock, is a definite asset. Family friendly, and great for romantic walks along the shoreline. In addition, the park offers outdoor swimming during the summer months, at "Coleman Pool," surrounded by the Puget Sound on three sides.

If you need a weekend to recharge your battery and reboot your attitude, West Seattle and "The Grove" await you with welcoming arms!

Gayla k. Guenther - Vancouver, Washington

1  Thank IrishLassie1
TheGroveW-SeattleInn, General Manager at The Grove, West Seattle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Thank you very much for your fantastic review of The Grove. You have listed just about every reason to stay here rather than a property in downtown Seattle. There is not much more that I can add except to say we are all happy that you enjoyed everything and hope to have you back as a guest soon.

There are newer reviews for The Grove, West Seattle Inn

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Ideal location for me. Stayed here several years ago under a different management. Since then the hotel has been upgraded significantly. Great staff, nice rooms, good continental breakfast. I really enjoyed my stay.

I like West Seattle - close to freeways, close to downtown, great parks. An overall nice area. This hotel was ideal for my visit.

Minor issue - room not set up for business travel, i.e. outlets and lighting for work on laptop but would never keep me from staying here, even on business.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your review of The Grove. Yes, it is a totally different property now than it was 3 years ago. Everything has been renovated as far as the property goes and the staff will go out of their way for just about any guest request you have. We are always looking for ways to improve and as I mentioned in a previous post, we have ordered, and hope to have installed by the end of November, more lamps for the units that need them. This should help in some of those rooms that don't get as much outside light and during the dark winter evenings.
Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

The Grove, West Seattle Inn is a very surprising find. I found the reviews to be very accurate in what was described. This is NOT an upscale, fancy hotel. But, if you are looking for a hotel in Seattle that is very clean, and will do you just fine, AND FOR UNDER $100 look no further.

We were well taken care of here. After the first night we made a request for extra pillows and they appeared by the time we got back to our room that evening. The breakfast is very adequate. The room is not large, but it is plenty big enough for two people to enjoy.

We can't say enough about finding a place in Seattle that is this reasonable and has free parking included!!! We were visiting family that live in West Seattle, but we would stay here even if we were spending most of our time in downtown Seattle. It is definitely close enough to drive back and forth. Without question, we will stay here the next time we visit Seattle.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank dinner-wine-romance

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Grove. No, we are not a fancy hotel with every amenity, but we do offer what the fancy upscale properties can't which is a low rate for clean, comfortable rooms and the best in guest service. We are also located in a nice area of West Seattle that is within walking distance of some great restaurants and shops, but also very close to downtown Seattle.
Thanks again and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

This was a nice place to stay for the weekend. There wasn't any storage or much counter space, but had all the necessary basics. I was surprised how clean everything was considering it's a pet friendly place. There were plenty of areas to relieve my dog, and nice neighborhoods to walk through. My only complaint was the traffic noise at night. The windows were old and not very soundproof. Otherwise, a nice place in a convenient location.

• Stayed: October 2013
TheGroveW-SeattleInn, General Manager at The Grove, West Seattle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2013

Yes, we do love dogs here and welcome any dog owner to bring their pet with them. We do a great job cleaning rooms after there has been a dog in it so the next guest won't have any issues. What we offer here are clean rooms, a staff that will go out of their way to help you, and a very competitive rate. Some of our units are a little "tight" but we do offer alternatives for guests who need more room and storage for your items. Let us know the next time you are here and one of us would be happy to show you some other units that might fit your needs better.
Thank you for writing your review and we hope to see you back soon,

Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is the only motel to stay in in West Seattle. Thankfully it was quite accommodating in service and amenities. The only problem we had was the electrical outlets in the room. While they provided a coffee pot and coffee, they just set it on top of the refrigerator with no place to plug it in. We finally found an open plug under the TV so we had to set the coffee pot on the floor.

Only had one bedside lamp because there was no place to plug the other lamp in that was over by the TV set.

Nice work table for computer or whatever you needed and it was on rollers so we could put it where we could use it to set a suitcase. They did have one fold-up suitcase stand.

Lounge chair near the window but couldn't use it to read by during darkness because there was no lamp nearby, and of course, no place to plug in a lamp.

If you have claustrophobia, you won't like the commode and shower. About 3 feet between the shower/tub wall and the other wall. No place to hang clothes or towels/wash clothes other than the coat rack at the far side of the wash basin area.

On the positive side, the place is clean and the staff quite pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

I really appreciate your taking the time to write a review about your stay at The Grove. We are an old property that was recently renovated. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our service and one of the hardest things to overcome are some of the physical issues like lack of power outlets and units with smaller facilities. The lighting issue has been addressed and I hope to have more lighting in units that need it by the first of December. Hopefully I can find enough outlets to make it work without having to rewire too many rooms. We are very accommodating and if one unit doesn't have everything you need, let us know and we will do our best to find a unit that might work better for your needs. We do strive to provide the best in guest service and I am happy that our staff was there to assist you in whatever you needed.
We hope to see you soon,

Reviewed October 30, 2013

We staid in a suite with one bedroom and a convertible couch in the living room, which was big enough for an additional roll-away bed, four large suitcases and thousands of shopping bags. Although the motel is not really close to downtown Seattle, it's easy to reach the city centre by public transport. If you take the rapidride bus, which leaves just across the motel, it only takes you 15 minutes to get there and it saves you the hustle and the money of having to find a parking lot. The Grove offers ample parking, clean and well tended rooms, delicious fresh water with lemons or oranges in the lobby, a sufficient complimentary breakfast, a safe neighbourhood and beautiful Alki-Beach is only 8 minutes away by car. We'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay at The Grove. Your description of our property is just about perfect. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in Seattle.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

My second trip to Seattle (gotta keep tabs on your adult children, even if they don't think they need looking after, right?) brought me back to The Grove.

Two things that I experienced made me happy that I that I had chosen to stay here again:

1) When I first got to my room after arriving in the evening, I saw that there was no separate floor lamp near the armchair. Since I was going to be here for a few days and I like to read at night, I went to the office and asked if - while there was no rush - I could get a lamp the next day. Within 10 minutes there was a knock on my door and there was the desk clerk with a lamp.

2) I needed to meet a business colleague for an all-day meeting and thought we'd simply work in the large, public room where breakfast is served. I found out, however that the room was only open during breakfast hours. I asked the breakfast attendant if there was any other room that I could use, and she told me that they did have a small meeting room and suggested that I check with the manager to see if it was available today. I went to talk with the manager after eating breakfast, and discovered that a) the breakfast attendant had already seen him and alerted him to the fact that a guest had inquired about the meeting room; and b) he had already gone to the room, opened it up and turned on the heat (yep, you need heat in Seattle in October) so that the room was all ready to be used before I even approached him. It was a very nice small conference room with a long table, comfortable chairs and a private bathroom.

So yes, as other reviewers have mentioned, it can get a bit noisy in the neighborhood and the view from your room might be the back of the next building but remember: you’re not in Kansas anymore. West Seattle is really a wonderful place to walk and shop; try the toy and gift stores up on California Avenue; I found lots of unique gifts for the kids and folks back home.

My only “complaint” is that, on Saturday afternoon, someone in the adjacent apartment building was practicing playing his bagpipes for an hour or two. And boy, did he need the practice. Hopefully by the time I get back to Seattle he will have gotten better and I won’t jump out of my chair every time he hits a sour note.

So kudos to the staff, and thank you for a VERY enjoyable stay.

1  Thank RobertTonawanda
TheGroveW-SeattleInn, General Manager at The Grove, West Seattle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of our Inn. Our goal is to provide the best in guest service along with clean comfortable accommodations. Even though we are a small motor inn surrounded by sometimes noisy streets and commercial businesses, we will always go out of our way to insure that are guests are taken care of any way we can. Thank you for letting us serve you again, and we look forward to your next visit.