“Friendly staff, great location”

The Grove, West Seattle Inn
Ranked #59 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Kingston, RI
“Friendly staff, great location”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff in an excellent W. Seattle location only a few blocks from the shops and great French bakery on California Ave. and Trader Joe's on Fauntelroy. Room 240 was quiet, clean, and up to date with free wifi. And the price is right! We would definitely return when we need a place to stay while visiting our granddaughter.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
TheGroveW-SeattleInn, General Manager at The Grove, West Seattle Inn, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how your visit to The Grove was. I am very happy that the property and staff exceeded your expectations and look forward to serving you again when you are back in the Seattle Area.

John Coney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Was put up here last minute by a friend I came to visit but who was very sick and didn't want me staying with her. I spent 2 nights and most of one day in the room, and I was very comfortable. I knew the place had recently been renovated; the bed was very comfortable, the pillows were flimsy though. The only complaint I would have is the wifi wasn't reliable at all. I finally just gave up trying to connect. With a large percentage of people carrying smart phones, tablets and laptops, Internet access is a requirement for most people.

The location of The Grove is ideal; not having a car I was able to walk to shopping, restaurants and grocery stores. Just beef up the WiFi and I will be back! Super nice staff too.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bofeb14
Thank you very much for taking the time to comment about your stay at The Grove. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit here and that you took advantage of the local shops and restaurants. Your feedback is important to us and want to let you know that we are working on solutions to make all of our guests more comfortable.We have already ordered new pillows for our units and we are working to get our wireless access upgraded to make the signal stronger and more reliable. We appreciate your business and hope that you will choose The Grove again for your lodging needs when back in the Seattle area.
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed here for a week over the New Year's holiday. Very neat, clean, and friendly. I did feel the room lacked a mirror in the bedroom and possibly a dresser with drawers. ( It was not pleasant to live out of a suitcase all week.) The free continental breakfast was lovely and always well stocked. The location was wonderful....close to the Rapid Line and other bus lines into downtown Seattle. It was a short walk to Alaska Junction and to Trader Joe's. A very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: I think that the upstairs rooms may be larger.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barbi0216
TheGroveW-SeattleInn, General Manager at The Grove, West Seattle Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us during your visit to the Seattle area. We do appreciate your comments and observations regarding mirrors and drawer space. We are working to address these issues by installing full lenght mirrors in all the rooms and adding chest of drawers to units that they will fit in. Please let us know when you will be back to visit Seattle again, and be sure to ask the agent when making your reservation about a unit with drawer space.
We look forward to serving you again.
Saginaw, Michigan
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Spent several nights during Christmas 2012 at the Grove--nice Inn located in West Seattle. Lousy pillows but wonderful bed. Room contains WIFI access, a television, clock radio, and a mini fridge. Hair blower in bathroom, nice shower, friendly & helpful staff. I'd definitely stay here again during my next visit to Seattle.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room. I don't think there is an elevator to the second level. All entra...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank KMK135
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your visit to our property. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope you had a great time in Seattle. We appreciate the feedback about our pillows. We take great pride in our rooms and property and it is with your comments and recommendations that we can make it better. We look forward to serving you again when you are back in the Seattle area.
Pullman, Washington, United States
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We have stayed here twice in fall 2012, and both times our reception was very friendly, our room was large, nicely appointed, and clean, and our stay was pleasant. There's a YMCA a block away and a Trader Joe's nearby. This is the only hotel I know of in West Seattle, so I was surprised at how reasonable the rates are.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sandpoint, Idaho
Reviewed December 1, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my husband and two year old som in April 2012, it was ok accommodations, could have been cleaner, didn't feel that safe and very noisy. The sound proofing lacked if there was any at all, I had to call front desk night staff several times because noise from rooms around us were waking my sleeping toddler and myself. I could hear the water snd toilets from other rooms. The hot water was not even warm. When we went to bed every night (6 days) the parking was sparse of vehicles with a lot of parking. There was a lot of car door noise and late night noise from all kinds of people in/out of hotel all hours of the night. In the morning the parking lot was jam packed without a soul to be seen. It was odd. I felt as if the staff was scared or intimidated to say anything to guests who were being too loud. The owner came off as nice but I overheard her delegating not so politely. The lack of anywhere to unpack clothing was not very comfortable. The fridge and wifi was appreciated. I wish there was a microwave. The beds were clean and comfortable, although not very warm as windows are old. We were surprised pulling up, I told my husband this is it? Are you kidding me? He said relax, new owners and big changes. In the past there had been a raid here but the area has improved and has a Starbucks right behind it, go figure? It is near where we travel to alki and Lincoln park. Accomadation wise west Seattle needs a better hotel but this will do with lack of sleep. A bit pricey for what it is. If it was anyhow I would get a vacation rental. I rated this average based on cleanliness, good beds and my expectations were worse. Although in comparison to other hotels it's about a 3 on 1-10 scale. Ear plugs maybe an option if you don't have a baby.

Room Tip: Ask for second story room, it's more secure then the rooms facing outdoors with no hallway. Not...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had very short notice in which to come up with a room for three people for a Fri and Sat night, and absolutely nothing was available downtown unless I wanted to shell out BIG bucks (which was not a feasible option.) Thought I was going to have to resort to soul-less airport lodging, til Tripadvisor brought The Grove to my attention. First of all, do not fear the distance: if you're in town without a car (and I always am), for $2.50 a new RapidRide C Line bus will drop you off two blocks from the hotel in less than 20 min from downtown, AND you get a cool view of the working waterfront enroute. Then resourcefully use your transfer to get back into downtown, should you wish.
The Grove may occupy an older building, but the rooms have been recently and thoughtfully renovated. I found ours clean and comfortable, with nice linens and a fridge and coffeemaker. The wi-fi was fine for scouting out restaurants etc online, and the weekend continental breakfast was plenty to kick-start the day. I'm a sucker for stocking up at Trader Joe's, which is about three blocks away, and Pagliacci's delivered a great pizza.
I live in Victoria BC and get to Seattle about three times a year (via the Clipper! I recommend it!) and have been meaning to check out West Seattle. Although our day in Seattle was tightly scheduled, I will definitely make a point of staying at The Grove again with these nice folks and exploring the area more on a future visit.

Room Tip: We had initailly requested a quiet room on an inside corridor, but when that wasn't available bo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends