“Perfect for a family Getaway with the kids. Or to just get away together.”

Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union
Ranked #60 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Belton
“Perfect for a family Getaway with the kids. Or to just get away together.”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We wanted to take our kids some where downtown Seattle for a few days that had a nice pool and located in a good area. It was surprisingly hard to find a hotel for two adults, two teens and two kids. The Residence was exactly what we were hoping to find. We purchased the family suite for a very reasonable price. When you walk in you are on the kitchenette/ living room. The couch is a pull out sleeper You have a full fridge, dishwasher, and stove. It has all that you need. Toaster, coffee maker, dishes, silverware, an even a cork screw. You have two full bedrooms with bathroom and flat screen tv. All the kids loved the pool. The teens used the heck out of the gym. Me and wifey enjoyed the hot tub and Sauna.
Our only issue which is a worry for us. Was the inside lock on the door was to low. Our 4 year old can easily open it and run out of the room. I do hope the the staff fixes this issue in the near future.
Location. You are just a little to far to walk To all the action down town Seattle. But you are right on Lake Union which is very nice. Also right out in front of the hotel is a trolly stop and it takes you straight to West lake hub which is right on 5th and Oliver. Only blocks from Pikes Market.
We will be returning. Next time we will try and go with another married couple we are friends with. Since there are two bed rooms, us and the other couple can slit the cost. . We can take the trolly down town for a few drinks or catch a comedy show, than take the trolly back to the hotel. We can have a few drinks in the room and talk and joke a little bit. Than both couples can retire to our own rooms at the end if the night.
We will definitely become regulars here

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Korean first
Saint Helens, Oregon
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Unfortunately the property is more run-down than I would expect to see. While being of a more recent renovation than other Residence Inn's, the fridge had quite a few noticeable ding marks, the furniture was scratched and scuffed down the arms, the walls were obviously painted and patched quite a few times (and possibly in different shades), cracks around the non-operational bathroom ceiling fan, the pool and spa area were HORRENDOUS!, guest reception food was found on the floor of the elevator and all the way around the floor we were staying on, luggage carts weren't picked up and returned for a day and half (we actually ran into one coming out of the elevator once). The housekeeping staff was superb as well the breakfast bar staff. Dee (I believe) was very nice at check-in, everyone else we encountered, just so-so.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I was traveling alone for the weekend and needed something small, in a safe area and convenient. The hotel quickly checked me in and I found my room no problem. The room was very spacious and the bed....amazing, extremely comfortable. The continental breakfast was a great start to my day. My favorite part of my stay was its location. I walked across the street to Union Lake and had dinner the first night. The following day I rode the tram to the center of Downtown Seattle and walked the city. The hotel was very clean and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We just came back from a quick Easter weekend getaway with friends. We shared a 2 bedroom suite and got upgraded to a beautiful lake view suite. The kids aged 2 and 4 loved the patio, and watching the trolleys and float planes land and take off. Very pet friendly and spacious. Breakfast was provided each day and had a good selection, and the staff were quick to refill or get you anything you needed. Eating breakfast in the huge atrium was a plus. Good location close to downtown too. Would definitely come back!

Pool was a little chilly, but they had a small kiddie pool only 3 ft deep, so they had a blast splashing around.

Bonus having a kitchen and a 24 hour mini cooler that had some basic essentials like milk, drinks and toiletries.

1 Thank gemmad03
Beaverton, OR
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This was the first time we tried the Residence Inn in downtown Seattle. For previous visits, we stayed at the Residence Inn in Bellevue. I chose the downtown location to eliminate the commute we have had to endure to get to the attractions we wanted to visit in downtown Seattle.

Location-wise, this Residence Inn was a win. As others have noted, the Mercer Avenue rebuild is definitely a mess. Fortunately the streetcar was running despite the heavy construction going on. Access to I-5 north or southbound is relatively easy from the Residence Inn by heading south on Fairview for a couple of blocks, then turning eastbound onto Mercer.

The new South Lake Union Streetcar line runs on Fairview Avenue N from right in front of this Residence Inn to Westlake Center over about a 2.5 mile on-street track, eliminating the need to find--and pay for--parking downtown. If you don't get an ORCA card to ride public transit, you'll need to decipher how to use the streetcar ticket machine's ambiguous user interface to get tickets.

Except for Seattle Center, all of the destinations we were seeking were in easy walking distance from Westlake Center. At the same time, this Residence Inn is not in the full-blown hustle and bustle of downtown Seattle, and is right across the street from the south Lake Union shore where the Cheshiahud Lake Union Loop is a wonderful and scenic walk.

Parking is $25 a night, and is height-restricted. There are two parking lots in the basement and ground floors. One is limited to six foot high or lower vehicles; the other is limited to 6' 6" trucks and SUV's. The parking lot is a bit cramped, and so are the spaces. The lot is accessed through an automated roll-up door which is opened by a valid room key card. Exit is via a roll-up door onto Minor Avenue N. Otherwise the lots seem quite physically secure, which is a big plus especially if you are driving your own vehicle.

The lobby is a very impressive and airy atrium rising the height of the interior of the seven story building. All room doors face the interior atrium. Rooms face Mercer Avenue, Lake Union, or I-5. Ours faced I-5, which was a source of constant road noise which closing the windows and doors easily squelched. Note that this end of Lake Union is a seaplane base, so while facing the lake may sound scenic, you should also be willing to put up with the engine noise of departing seaplanes.

The room we had, a one bedroom unit, was average size for a high-rise. The kitchen was *not* full-featured or full-size like the Bellevue one-bedroom unit we had. There was a small two-burner electric cooktop, and by "small", I mean that it was impossible to use the pot and smaller frying pan on it at the same time. Boiling water for pasta took extreme patience as the smallish burner was no match for the pot of water. Even by pre-heating the water in the supplied coffee maker, better than 30 minutes was required to get the water boiling. There was no oven except for the microwave over the cooktop. The refrigerator was near-full-size and included a working ice maker, which was a plus. When open, the dishwasher door completely blocked access to the front of the single-basin sink.

The bedroom was good size, but lacked a chair. The bathroom vanity had ample counter space. The toilet and tub/shower room was a bit cramped, but usable with good ventilation.

Overall the room was clean and fresh-smelling. There was plenty of hot water and no water pressure woes. The only plumbing issue was a leaky kitchen faucet.

As others have noted, the free WiFi signal was unusable from our seventh floor room. Fortunately I brought a portable WiFi hotspot that used an independent wireless carrier's broadband service, but I agree with the complaints about the WiFi usability.

A light dinner is available several nights a week, and we partook of it our last evening there. It was average in quality. The breakfast was actually surprisingly good and a good convenience for getting the day started without having to hunt down another breakfast place and added expense. The only complaint was that the lemonade and the coffee were weak.

The staff was friendly and professional and in no way detracted from our stay.

The cost of the room was on the high side of what I wanted to pay. But the option of cooking in and avoiding another meal out, plus the proximity to downtown Seattle via a short streetcar ride took some of the sting out of the premium cost.

I would consider staying there again if my interests were in the downtown Seattle area.

Room Tip: Rooms face Mercer Avenue, Lake Union, or I-5. Ours faced I-5, which was a source of constant road n...
4 Thank BeavertonORTraveller
Olympia, WA
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I have stayed here a number of times in the last few weeks, with a friend who is having cancer treatment nearby. The location is great--VERY conveniently located to freeway, nice restaurants and park in very close walking distance. There is a public transportation stop very close to the hotel (that comes every 15 minutes) and takes you right to the Westlake Center.

The lobby is impressive with a lot of seating, and a separate "living room" area with a fireplace and TV. The complimentary breakfast includes waffle maker and hot dishes (eggs, sausage or bacon, and the like), oatmeal, cereals, pastries, breads, one kind of fresh fruit, little parfaits (yogurt and granola prepared in a to-go cup); complimentary dinners three nights a week; cookies in the evening. And coffee around the clock. At breakfast time you can use a real cup for your coffee (a bonus in my book). The rooms are nice, if a little worn, and have nicely scented soap, shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Kitchenettes have stove top, microwave and refrigerator, basic utensils and cookware. Animals are allowed (a plus if you have a dog, or like dogs), so there is some barking on rare occasion, but it was not disturbing. We needed a cot for one night and it was very comfortable. Not such a high review for the fold-out sofa.

The one CONSIDERABLE drawback is the horrific wifi connection. We stayed on the 6th floor and the connection was almost always "very poor". Even when we ventured to the lobby it did not improve. It may be that higher occupancy causes the problem, but using Skype is difficult at best; streaming a movie out of the question most of the time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Spanish Fork, Utah
Reviewed March 24, 2013

A nice Residence Inn (must have been something else before, based on the interior design). Rooms are a nice size, although some are a little smaller depending on where in the building you are. I preferred the lake view rooms, although it can be a bit noisy at times because of traffic and the streetcar. My co-workers liked rooms on the back of the building, although one did complain about the noise from the highway and that his view was of competing digital weather displays.

Our group had problems with being improperly charged for parking. My first visit, I arrived with a co-worker. We both very clearly said that we did not have a car. But yet we were both charged for parking. Even after the front desk staff removed the parking charges from my bill and rekeyed my room key, I was still charged for parking. A complaint to the manager resulted in an apology note and a bottle of wine. Yet on my next visit, the same thing happened again. Either there is a training problem with the front desk staff; a bookkeeping problem with the computer system; or the hotel is trying to make some extra money and counting on people not reviewing their bills closely.

Front desk staff was always helpful. The breakfast is typical Marriott, but it's the best typical Marriott breakfast I've had. I liked the "daily special," which ranged from hash to premade breakfast sandwiches. The breakfast meat (sausage or canadian bacon) and potatoes (red skinned or pancakes) were switched up every day. Yogurt parfaits were a nice addition.

Restaurants within walking distance (at the marina across the street) are a tad expensive. Our favorites were Duke's Chowder House, A Terrible Beauty (Irish pub) and a sushi place. Joey's wasn't bad, either.

I used the two streetcar stops within walking distance quite a bit during my four weeks at the Residence Inn in January/February/March. Great way to get into downtown. Because of road construction around the hotel, the streetcar at rush hour was NOT the best way to go. I'm sure that will improve once the roadwork is done.

Room Tip: I like the lake view rooms, although you do have to contend with street noise. I preferred the highe...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business