“Great Bargain for a Group or Family”

Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union
Ranked #60 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Oklahoma
“Great Bargain for a Group or Family”
Reviewed November 13, 2011

We didn't have a car to park, so without that issue, I have absolutely nothing but praise. We were 5 women on a birthday trip. We shared a suite with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a huge kitchen, good sized living area, 3 televisions, separate thermostats, and a huge free breakfast buffet. It was very comfortable. The sofa bed was oddly comfortable. Service was efficient. The front desk was very helpful. Cab service was fantastic. The room rate split between 5 was crazy inexpensive. It isn't a "sexy" hotel like the Edgewater, but much more comfortable and affordable. It money is no object - go to the Edgewater. If you want a clean, comfortable bargain with a room you can hang out in without that "hotel room feeling", go to the Marriott Residence Inn.

Room Tip: You don't want to be on the street. My room was very quiet. The room next to the street had morn...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Korean first
Reviewed November 12, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel twice now and it feels like home away from home. I have read a few reviews posted here and have to agree that some make some fair points, if a bit exaggerated.

The negatives: The parking spots are REALLY narrow, but there are a few larger ones if you hunt, the beds are soft - which is great if you like soft beds, but not great if you like really firm ones. The easy chair in our room was also very worn, but everything else was in good shape. Running into large dogs in the elevator can be somewhat startling to those of us who are not pet people, but we never experienced anything negative on that score.

The positives (which outweigh the negatives): 2 bedroom suites at (usually) a great price, with easy setup for a family or 2 couples are often hard to come by. The breakfast is good and plentiful, staff are very helpful and friendly, the pool and workout room are great, and being right by the tram stop is awesome for those with kids who like the experience of riding a streetcar. Very easy access to downtown sights. The kitchens are very well equipped and nicely put together. It has always been a quiet place for us and we tend to head to bed early with littles ones and notice if walls and floors are not well insulated.

So, overall, we are very thankful for this hotel and it has caused us to make Seattle a destination for a second family holiday. Seattle is awesome for people with kids to entertain and this hotel makes family living away from home a breeze. We will be back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Hotel is ok, rooms are nice and big. They have a full fridge, dishwasher, two flat screen tvs and two elements for cooking. Also, plates, pots, pans, ect. It's quiet. Free breakfast. Had an issue with the parking, below is part of my email to Marriott.

I initially bid on a one night stay, after successfully winning the bid I was prompted to extend my stay. I was happy to do so after reviewing the location of the hotel, the free breakfast and most importantly the free parking. Because of the two separate reservations, I had to re-check in again for the second night, no big deal. When checking in for the second night I was asked if we had a car with us, which we did. We were informed of the 23 dollar parking fee. I mentioned to the front desk clerk, that it might be on file that I have an email from my successful bid that clearly states the parking was free. (We had the same issue the first night of check in, but I just showed my email and the free parking was granted) The front desk manager Jill took note of the situation and jumped in. Saying very loudly, “No, NO, NO! You Priceline People do NOT get free parking, never!” It was a little embarrassing to us, that we were being referred to, actually we were being yelled at for using Priceline for our reservation. We mentioned the free parking was one of our main reasons for extending our stay for two nights. Again we were reminded that us “Priceline People” do not ever get free parking . I asked if I should run up and get my phone (which had the email indicating free parking) to which Jill replied at a much louder voice than was required (since I was right in front of her) “yeah, but it won’t do you any good, Priceline People never ever get free parking.” And then something to the effect of “I’d like to see this email”. As I walked away to get my phone and my wife waited nearby, Jill continued to rant about the situation right in front of my wife as if she wasn’t standing there. This was getting very embarrassing for the both of us as there were lots of customers around because the morning breakfast was just wrapping up.

I returned with my iPhone, showed the email, free parking was granted, although not without a few extra snarky comments from Jill. No apology, no thanks for being patient, no sorry for the confusion, nothing.

Also, worth noting that we were put into a room without a balcony, not sure if that was further punishment for using Priceline. It clearly indicates online that all rooms have a private balcony.

If your hotel wants to treat Priceline guest different than other guests, you should probably not make your hotel available to be booked through Priceline.

4 Thank Rich984
Carl A, General Manager at Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear sir,

I am very sorry that your experience at the Residence Inn Seattle Lake Union was not to your expectations. I have contacted Priceline to ensure that our information is correct for future travelers. Though it doesn't appear that you were treated this way, I'd like to assure you that guests who book through Priceline can expect the same level of guest service that we pride ourselves on providing to all of our guests.

I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you directly about your experience and anything I can do to make it right for you. You can contact me at (206) 624-6000.

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback so that we can continue to improve in the future.

Carl Anton
Residence Inn by Marriott - Seattle Lake Union
Irmo, South Carolina
Reviewed November 2, 2011

On a recent pleasure trip to the Pacific Northwest My wife; another couple, we travel frequently with; and I stayed at the Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union. This was our first days on a two week trip and we stayed 3 nights in this location. As we travel frequently as two couples, the two bedroom suites available at Residence Inns make a very convenient and economical choice of lodging for us.We found the Seattle stay to be both positive and negative.
I'll start with the negative so I can end on the more positive side of the stay. To start, we tried to check in early (about 1:30 in the afternoon on Saturday) and were informed our room was not ready yet; this was quite understandable as the start of check in was listed for 4:00, but the front desk clerk asked for my cell phone number and said they would call when the room was available. So we proceeded to go downtown to the Pike Market. At about 3:30 I was called and informed our room was ready. We stayed about 20 more minutes at the market and then returned to the hotel. We got back to the Residence Inn at about 4:15 and tried to check in only to be informed that the room was not ready yet. I said that I had been called and told our room was ready and could read on the list we were supposed to be in a certain room number but the room we ended up with was a different number. I am sure that they had given the other room to somebody else that had arrived between the time we had been called and we had gotten back to the hotel. DON'T CALL IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO SAVE THE ROOM! The next problem arose right after check in when I tried to park the vehicle in parking garage. The vehicle we had was a full size SUV, but not the largest size one. The parking lot (supposedly made for larger vehicles) was almost filled and only about three spaces were left, and all were extremely small. I had to make 8 maneuvers to get the vehicle in the space, and all the passengers had to get out before getting into the space because you could not open the doors of the vehicle once you were parked. I had to climb out of the back hatch door once I was parked! I know that the hotel probably has to have a minimum number of parking spots under law,but come on lets expand the size of these spaces so people can actually park and get out of their vehicle! The room itself was good size, comfortable, and very functional, but the chairs and the ottoman were quite worn.
On the positive side I thought the beds were comfortable. The gym was clean, had good equipment, and was well stocked with towels. The complimentary breakfast was very good and the atrium was large enough to accommodate the large crowd at breakfast. We were busy seeing the sites of Seattle so we never got to partake in the receptions held in the early evenings at the hotel. After the initial problem with the room, the front desk personnel were quite helpful and knowledgeable. The best thing of all was the convenient location especially the trolley stop right in front of the hotel which made getting downtown a breeze especially since once parked I did not want to move the vehicle again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank firstc0rps
Phoenix
Reviewed November 1, 2011

I was so happy to be able to stay here as the location was pretty great. It was right next to a trolley stop, although the trip there from the airport (without a car) was a little trickier. The room was beautiful and the bed was super comfortable. The customer service was excellent as well, and the breakfast was fine for a hotel. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view!
Northwest
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and really enjoyed it. This time the hotel was showing it's wear and tear. The chairs and ottomons were all beat up and looked like they were from the local Salvation Army store. The plants all had dust on them too. It was very quiet for sleeping and beds comfortable. The breakfast is pretty good. For the price though, the furniture should be in good condition and the hotel totally clean.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank delapNorthwest
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Having stayed at many less-than-average hotels around the world, no bed was more uncomfortable than the one at Residence Inn Lake Union. The mattress was so soft and worn down that my partner and I sunk toward the middle-- it was like sleeping on a slippery slope, I woke up with a strained neck and dreaded the 2nd night. I complained to the staff about it after the first night, they were sympathetic and compensated us the parking fees (we were staying on Marriott Reward points) and were offered a different room but we didn't want to bother with all our stuff laid out. They said the mattresses were "triple pillow tops" and softer than your average.The second night we compromised by sleeping diagonally on the bed which fared slightly better. We were prepared to sleep on the fold out sofa or ask for a cot if we were overly uncomfortable but didn't.
If it wasn't for the AWESOME free hot breakfast and dog-friendly status, I would think twice about returning. They have the best pet rate in the area (only $10/night, compared to other Marriotts in the area that were going for $50-100 per stay).
Fyi, the room we stayed in was ROOM 344... perhaps other rooms would be better. Perhaps the hotel will look at the few complaints they have already had about the beds and make some changes.

2 Thank wwgtam