“Nice start to our vacation...”

Residence Inn Seattle Downtown/Lake Union
Ranked #60 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed October 27, 2007

First -- a little background. We decided this summer to do a 10-day driving vacation, starting in Seattle, then Vancouver, Banff, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole, and ending in Salt Lake City. As the date for our flight to Seattle drew closer and closer, my work deadlines were keeping me from making reservations. Finally -- with about a week to go -- I turned to tripadvisor.com, read the top hotel reviews for our key stops, then made my reservations. As those of you with more than four in your family (we have five: my wife and me, plus two teenagers and a nine year old) know, it can be a real challenge finding suitable accommodations that don't leave someone sleeping on a sofa or on the floor. Almost without exception, our hotels were real winners, with a couple real gems, and just one clunker. And no one had to sleep on the floor.

As it turned out, the Residence Inn Seattle/Lake Union was a very nice place to start our vacation. The location was good -- close to Interstate 5, but close to downtown Seattle as well. It was easy to grab a cab downtown (didn't want to hassle finding a place to park our rental car). We had a spacious and clean 2-bedroom suite on a high floor. Nice and quiet -- just the way I like it. Only negatives were that we had a south-facing room -- over an industrial building and away from Lake Union (would have enjoyed a lake view much better) -- and the hotel's parking lot was hard to get in and out of with our humongous GMC Yukon XL rental car, and hard to find spaces later in the day (we ended up parking on the street because all the spaces were filled). Overall, however, a good experience -- four out of five stars.

Stayed: July 2007
2  Thank bizzwriter

Reviewed October 20, 2007

I have stayed ere several times. The rooms are spacious and quiet. THere is minimal noise from the surrounding area. It is a bit far from downtown. The morning breakfast has always been very godd with a lot of choices. The workout room is smallish with limited equipment but there is a dry sauna and nice pool area. THis is a solid hotel and it is no wonder it is busy each time I go there. HINT: park on the surface streets behind the hotel and save the parking fee. THe front desk actuallt suggestd this and it worked fine.

Stayed: October 2007
3  Thank gktmd22
Reviewed October 2, 2007

My wife and I ,and our daughter, son-in-law and 4 year old grandson have been here for four nights and we are extremely happy with the hotel. I have stayed at Residence Inns on business trips from time to time, and so am familiar with the brand. We are in Seattle for my son's wedding and wanted a place where my wife and I and my daughter's family could stay together for several days prior to the wedding, ans we wanted a hotel convenient to the sights we are familiar with in Seattle. This has been a great place to stay. We have a two bedroom suite. It is spacious and has all the amenities. The hotel has on-site parking. The facility is very clean and bright and in very good condition. The staff is helpful and cheerful. This location is very convenieint to downtown and to the Space Needle and Science Museum via Broad Street, and close to I-5 for trips to other sights and to the airport. They serve an excellent buffet breakfast everyday - much variety and ood food. Their indoor pool area has a large pool, and small 3' deep children's pool and a hot tub. The workout room is bright, cleen and weel equipped. Just a sign of how well the property is taken care of. We have noticed every evening a maintenence person walking the public areas and hallways with a paint can touching up minor mars on the walls. This is an excellent hotel and a good value.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank ChicagoMembers
Reviewed September 29, 2007

I stayed here last in 2005 (see earlier review) and I'm pleased to say the hotel has maintained its very high standards.
Clean and comfortable throughout, however, the bed appeared a little softer than last time.
I had a lake view room and I would suggest that you ask for this if possible, as the view of Beaver and Otter floatplanes on the Lake is superb.
I was disappointed to learn that biscuits and gravy now off the breakfast menu - but better still burrito is on the menu instead !! The 24 hour market (a fridge and a shelf with munchies, snacks and drinks) is sensibly priced (compared to extortionate room service in some places) and a welcome innovation.
The contributor who wanted wireless internet would have caused me major problems (my company does not allow wireless), so the I-Bahn wired connection was very welcome, easy to use and fast to read my UK emails. Hotel is totally non-smoking, there is a smoking area and bench round the corner from the entrance.
I would suggest using a taxi from Sea-Tac airport rather than the Gray Line Airporter shuttle as the driver didn't have a clue at what hotel I should get off and change for the connection to Lake Union even after I bribed (sorry, tipped) him. In the event the bus waited 20mins to on-load a wheelchair passenger at the Sheraton. $34 vs. $12.75 - Taxi !!
Great location and super property with very helpful staff, this is the best value place to stay in Seattle and it's always a pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2007

We had a great experience at the Residence Inn at Lake Union in Seattle. We have almost always been happy at Residence Inn hotels, but this was the best experience we have had. First, we were upgraded to a Penthouse 2 bedroom suite-- more like an apartment, with a huge terrace, overlooking Lake Union, which is very scenic. Try to ask for a Lake view unit, as the view is so nice. Lake Union is a short drive to downtown, but walkable to the Space Needle area. It is a very pleasant location though, less hectic than the business district and yet not far away. There are nice restaurants, with lake views, just across the street. Residence Inn provides a nice free breakfast in the lobby, and also provided a shuttle to and from the Mariners game, which was a great service.

• Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed September 25, 2007

We spent 14 nights at this property on a business trip. I really can't of anything negative. Maybe the desk chair could have been a real desk chair. The Lake Union location is not convenient for downtown where my wife was working but she was ok with the 1.6 mile walk and the hotel has a flawless shuttle system to take their customers back and forth from the downtown area. It runs like a bus line with specific stops at posted times.

The staff was very pleasant and efficient. The Wednesday night manager's reception was the nicest of any residence where I have ever stayed. The is a small indoor pool with a whirlpool and a sauna. The fitness center is not great but better than average and certainly functional with all the equipment and cardio machines in good working order.

Our room was very comfortable and quiet. The televisions were kind of chinsy but that's normal. The bed had the upgraded mattress and bedding that is now found in most Residence Inns. The housekeeping staff were pleasant and efficient. The property is attractive with a nice atrium and is well maintained. The breakfast is pretty much the same as every residence inn with the exception of better coffee (Starbucks) and a better than average presentation.

Some people will like the location and others will find it difficult. There are plenty of nice restaurants on the lake but not much shopping and the shuttle stops running at about seven so there is a transportation issue if you want to go to dinner at a restaurant on the bay or downtown. We were comfortable walking but we walk a lot and we were lucky with the weather.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2007

We stayed for five days in a two bedroom suite overlooking Lake Union. It featured two bedrooms with two king beds (great mattresses), two bathrooms, kitchen, LR, and two balconies. The large suite was as large as some of the Marriott time-shares I've stayed in. The furniture quality was B+. The lobby is large and reminds me of an Embassy Suite Hotel. Service was A. Breakfast was A - . The managers special was a Wed night catered Italian dinner, which was an A - . The view of Lake Union was a B - . Very safe neighborhood. The distance to downtown or Seattle U was not too bad (10 -15 minute drive by car or bus). It was walkable to Seattle Centre attractions. 5 minute drive to U of Wash. You can find free parking in the neighborhood. I'd recommend this hotel over the more expensive and smaller hotels downtown

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family