“Blood stained walls!!!”
Review of Commodore Hotel

Commodore Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Seattle
Commodore Hotel
Ranked #80 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed May 12, 2009

We wanted a place close to the stadium...found it online...charming "European style" it read. This was an absolute hell hole. Dead bugs everywhere, unbelievable stench and blood stains down the torn up wallpaper...right out of a horror movie!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
31  Thank sznscott

Reviewed December 27, 2006

Not surprised by the previous review. Actually I am surprised you made it out without more problems. The Commodore was a flop house. We have seen constant drug deals from the windows of the Commodore with the corner payphone and even furniture and clothing being thrown out the windows. We called the police once because suitcases were being thrown out the window onto cars below. Before the police showed up a woman came down and cut up most of the items with a knife. The Commodore is being demolished next month to make way for more condos. Hate to see a fine old structure removed but as for the "hotel" good riddance.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
24  Thank wikinymous
Japan
Reviewed March 5, 2005

It was my first stay abroad. So, I didnt recognize it was that horrible. I mean, since I have stayed in some hotels abroad, I know that this hotel as terrible. Some flies were flying in the bed. The shower didnt give me enough water. I mean, only less warm water came from the tap little by little. Most of the things in the room were dirty. The windows didnt open smoothly. If you want to experience "special unmemorable" night, go for it. I will never do it again, at least.

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 17, 2005

i wish it were possible to give a zero rating here. I arrived in seattle and needed a place to sleep for one night while waiting for a friend who lived in the city to arrive. i ended up at the commodore. i should have know something was wrong when i got into the elevator and encountered a hooker who was half-clothed and looked miserable. walking into the room, there was an overwhelming smell that i soon discovered was coming from the bathroom. there was mold and mildew about a foot high from the floor on all of the walls. there were pubic hairs all over the toilet which didn't flush. we had no towels and the front desk said they had none to give us. there were muddy footprints on the bedsheets. i've travelled all over the world and stayed in some seedy places before, but this took the cake. i slept sitting up on a chair in the room. we asked them to hold our bags the next day when we checked out until my friend arrived...they "lost" our bags and we were left to search a storage room for them that smelled so badly i had to leave because i was gagging uncontrollably. it's an atrocity this place exists. no one should pay for such terrible conditions. it's made me terrified of hotels.

• Stayed: January 2005
22  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 15, 2004

My husband booked the room online. It looked very cute in the pictures. When we arrived we found a shocking scene - one that didn't remotely resemble the website.

To make a long story short, the lobby was full of sketchy junkies (including one guy with no shoes on who was seriously tripping out). Several of them were arguing with the desk clerk because they wanted to go upstairs to visit some buddies but the desk guy said that there were no visitors allowed. We checked in and went to get in the elevator but the guys who argued with the clerk jumped in at the last second, so we were stuck in there with them.

The hallways were full of dirty dishes and other detritus, and it clearly was used as lower-income housing. Our room was filthy and it looked like they had kicked the usual occupant out for us to stay there. Dirty t-shirt hanging in closet, bathroom covered in toothpaste spit, and an odd smell. We stayed in the room only long enough to look through the Yellow Pages to find another hotel room, and then we went back to the desk and asked for a refund. That must happen a lot because it seemed like the clerk had anticipated it and he refunded us with no questions and didn't seem at all suprised. If anything, he seemed a bit sad about it.

23  Thank Angelinaduck
Reviewed March 19, 2004

Arrived late at about 9:00 pm. Planned to stay here for 4 nights and paid in advance online. Big mistake!! Hotel was dirty and their were lots of trays of dirty dishes left in the hallways near guest rooms. A lurking drug dealer tried to follow us into our room. Didn't feel safe with the lock on the door so we placed our suitcases against the door as an added safety measure. Plaster and paint peeling from the ceiling, furniture was scratched and thrashed and there were cigarette burns and stains all over the carpet. No water glasses and was told that housekeeping wasn't there. The tiniest bathroom was unbelievably too small to even maneuver in with the door closed. I asked for another room and they gave me a key to see a renovated room that was cleaner but missing a toilet. We agreed to stay only one night since it was so late and leave at daybreak.... that's how bad we wanted to get out of there. Loud shouting and shady nightlife on street. Parked my rental car in the lot next door, but didn't feel comfortable about that. At least I could see it from my window in my room. I asked for my money back for remaining nights paid and received a credit to my credit card.
When I got back home I contacted the manger to relay my horrible experience and amazingly enough, he refunded my one night's stay by crediting my creditcard. Our worst experience at a hotel ever!!! Do not stay here. Pay the extra $25 and stay at the Best Western.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Austin, TX
Reviewed December 26, 2003

Stayed many times at the Commodore in the late 70's and mid 80's.
They've got a locked auto garage across the street, a small but cozy lobby with a TV, and back then they'd just installed new and more secure doors on all the rooms. They cater to working class merchant marines and others, have a laundry and snack bar, and offer both daily and weekly rates. There's quite a difference between the two types of rooms. No frills whatsoever, and in many cases you'll have a sink, but with the bathroom and shower down the hall.One good thing is its location. It's just a block or two from Pike Place Market and the Moore Theater. And, with a large picture window in the lobby you'll get plenty of entertainment watching some of Seattle's strangest characters walk by. If you're on a budget and don't expect anything special, the Commodore is okay by me. A step up, at least it used to be, is the Pacific Plaza on 5th Ave. I believe, if memory serves...

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member